THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Where is the safest place to remove weight from the body frame?

04-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Quicksilver_M235
Marshal Of The State
Rep
Drives: 15' Silver Metallic M235i

Where is the safest place to remove weight from the body frame?

Here's something that I've heard about and seen on other forums, but I have not seen much information on regarding the 2 series.

As far as the framework, if you were to suggest some low stress areas where one could punch and flare, where would they be?

Chassis

Firewall

Wheelhouse/engine support

Last edited by Quicksilver_M235; 05-02-2018 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

I think you know which body frame member in the car needs the most work...

Last edited by mdputnam; 04-24-2018 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 3
Maynard3833.00
Dylan861330.00
EEBreh122.50
      05-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #3
Quicksilver_M235
Marshal Of The State
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
I think you know which body frame member in the car needs the most work...
I think you know that response has been used to death on many forums.. some more constructive information would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Eliminate the moon roof mechanism and graft an aluminum cover id think.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Race Seats, Carbon Fiber Hood, remove all interior paneling, remove all sound proofing, lighter wheels, rotors, etc.. etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
Quicksilver_M235
Marshal Of The State
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Race Seats, Carbon Fiber Hood, remove all interior paneling, remove all sound proofing, lighter wheels, rotors, etc.. etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questofthetune View Post
Eliminate the moon roof mechanism and graft an aluminum cover id think.
I'm aware of using aftermarket components to shave weight.. the question relates to drilling and flaring on the framework/chassis itself, specifically in the low stress areas that would be less prone to breakage... but help drop weight.

I've tried finding any stress analysis reports done on the 2 series, but have yet to find any.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
I think you know that response has been used to death on many forums.. some more constructive information would be appreciated....

I'm aware of using aftermarket components to shave weight.. the question relates to drilling and flaring on the framework/chassis itself, specifically in the low stress areas that would be less prone to breakage... but help drop weight.

I've tried finding any stress analysis reports done on the 2 series, but have yet to find any.
Kind of snippy for somebody throwing out overgeneral Q's on a new forum. If you want to know where to take off metal, then you'd probably want to ask the engineers, who likely spent thousands of hours with computerized models just to arrive at this design. Or do like the guy in your picture, and just cut round holes in everything that isn't full of fuel. BUT what people are trying to tell you is that taking off metal isn't the best bang for your buck. It may be a humorous meme, but far easier to take 10# off your gut, or lose the dashboard/stereo/etc. than to drill enough tiny round cuts to equal 10# of metal.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus View Post

Stress analysis report on full frame?
Good luck trying to find it over the internet.

You may be able to find something in SAE paper but I doubt that you can find detailed analysis.

What you looking is very confidential information.

If you are that serious about reducing weight from frame, you must be in very high profile racing team and they should have their own CAE tool to do chassis analysis.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The unibody is a structural component. You can't go in and start cutting stuff out without risking rigidity and crash worthiness. Plus, the body itself is rather light and largely sheet metal. If you want to pull out weight, you need to be thinking interior panels, wheels, brakes, seats, moonroof system, glass, sound deadening, lightweight battery, etc. If this isn't going to be a dedicated track car, I wouldn't waste the time making a 2 series into a Miata. Buy a Miata.