BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Burnt rubber smell after opening trunk?

04-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Burnt rubber smell after opening trunk?

I’ve noticed that every time I use my tailgate there’s a burnt rubber smell. Could this be from the electronic lifting mechanism? Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 01:58 AM   #2
BMW JV
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 xline 20i Sdrive

You could check if there is something on the exhaust causing the smell.
Or if the exhaust is too near to any body parts so they heat up, the material at the inside can smelly.
Or you could use a thermal imager to find hotspots in the trunk after a ride to locate some smelly areas and by this, may be the cause of your problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
motordavid
RetiredBum
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X1 & '01 X5 3.0 5spd

We have a similar very odd smell in my CEO's '17, every time we open the rear hatch.

Doesn't matter if it's in the dark garage, in the sun, has been driven or is sitting...

Dlr said they "don't smell anything"...

A very plastic-like chemical smell; I thought it might be 'new car plastic stuff', but I still smell the odor 9 months later.

I have torn apart the rear hatch area, looked under car and on and on. Was almost glad to read it was not 'just me', but no idea WTF is the source of the smell.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 05-12-2018 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 04:52 AM   #4
Eziv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
I’ve noticed that every time I use my tailgate there’s a burnt rubber smell. Could this be from the electronic lifting mechanism? Is this normal?
I started noticing the same thing lately. I thought I was the only one but am happy to find your post.

Anyway, from what I have observed, the smell is not coming from the wheel arches (outside) or from the the very below (the smell is not coming from under the false floor). It seems to be coming from the right side wheel arch under the boot trim.

I have no time to have it checked by the dealer but if you find a solution, please let me know.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 08:25 AM   #5
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

You're not alone. Though I think it might be coming from the plastic section that houses the tailgate bump stop.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #6
motordavid
RetiredBum
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X1 & '01 X5 3.0 5spd

Took my CEO's '17 in for its first dlr/'official' oil change at ~ 10,000 miles per the dash indicator. The very soft feeling, non-linear brake pedal feel and the chemical smell from rear trunk area were on the list...

The SA said a tech drove it and brake feel is 'normal' for this car and that the tech did not notice any smell.

I walked out with him post service, opened the trunk and had him smell the area: he said he couldn't smell anything.

I can live with the secret aroma, though I think the brake pedal feel may be the worst pedal action I have felt in 55 yrs of lots of different cars/m'cycles.

That brake pedal feel is annoying at best, almost dangerous in stop and go in terms of 'action', feel, braking...

My CEO likes her car; I remain ambivalent.
GL, mD
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #7
yeesx1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

Yes, I've had this smell since I bought it.
Appreciate 0