Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New wheels, tire and coilovers alignment ?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
doc1911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sold my 335i and looking

New wheels, tire and coilovers alignment ?

About 3 weeks ago I had KW-V2 coilovers, Toyo tires and 19" Volk Progressive ME wheels put on. The shop got everything back to spec and did a corner-balance. It drove great until about 2 days ago and al of the suddent it seems to want to drift right, there is a very slight shimmy in the steering wheel and even the steering wheel looks "off" to the right.
I never had this with my stock set-up.

Two questions

Is this a freak thing or now that I have gone away from stock is it something I will have to deal with,,,,,,,,,is the coilover etc. more sensative?

Will checking and/or adjusting the alignment disrupt the corner-balance? If so how much.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1911 View Post
About 3 weeks ago I had KW-V2 coilovers, Toyo tires and 19" Volk Progressive ME wheels put on. The shop got everything back to spec and did a corner-balance. It drove great until about 2 days ago and al of the suddent it seems to want to drift right, there is a very slight shimmy in the steering wheel and even the steering wheel looks "off" to the right.
I never had this with my stock set-up.

Two questions

Is this a freak thing or now that I have gone away from stock is it something I will have to deal with,,,,,,,,,is the coilover etc. more sensative?

Will checking and/or adjusting the alignment disrupt the corner-balance? If so how much.
Bring it back to the place you got it done at...sounds like you either bent a rim or maybe you have a flat?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #3
doc1911
First Lieutenant
Rep

I would bring it back but like I said the place is an hour + away. If I can get it done local without messing up the corner-balance that would be great.

I have been drive for more that a day. A flat???????? C'mon!!! I would know

Don't know if you can "bend" a forged wheel. I did not hit anything and they when balanced prior to installation. If I somehow "bent" a Volk Racing Wheel with normal driving that is a huge issue.
I guess it could have come out of balance?

Last edited by doc1911; 06-11-2008 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

Shakes and shimmys arent usually related to rim and tire installs, especially if it didnt do it right when you left the place. If the car drove smooth then the tire balancing was right when you got the car done. The only thing wheel and tire that can cause a shake is if you threw a wieght off (very unlikely) or damaged a wheel.

In the suspension, something could be loose. But thats not typical either.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

You're on the right track. I'm guessing the problem is from either the wheel weights or alignment. And since the symptoms didn't appear until 3 weeks later, I assume this was caused by a road hazard.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
lyjw88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63S & X3MC

it's most likely that you bent your rims...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
doc1911
First Lieutenant
Rep

Aside from the obvious damage is there a way to see it I bent the wheel? They are brand new and I have not hit or run over anything. I mean I haven't evern had one of those "Oh S#%T, that is gonaa hurt moments. They are forged aluminum racing wheels. If I bent one goingover a manhole cover or into my driveway that is a serious issue.

The shimmy is almost negligable. The average driver might not even notice it. My real question is on the alignment. It does pull a bit to the right. If I have the alignment check or changed with it totally ruin the corner-balance?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Ray
Rep

Quote:
Aside from the obvious damage is there a way to see it I bent the wheel? They are brand new and I have not hit or run over anything. I mean I haven't evern had one of those "Oh S#%T, that is gonaa hurt moments. They are forged aluminum racing wheels. If I bent one goingover a manhole cover or into my driveway that is a serious issue.

The shimmy is almost negligable. The average driver might not even notice it. My real question is on the alignment. It does pull a bit to the right. If I have the alignment check or changed with it totally ruin the corner-balance?
A bend on a wheel is normally visable, but mounting it upon a balancing machine is the best gauge.

On a side note, Volk Racing offers excellent quality wheels. Some of the best in the industry. And if something unusual happened to them, I know that either Volk Racing and their dealers, who believe in their products, will help you out in any way possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
doc1911
First Lieutenant
Rep

RAY

Is that you from MACH III? If so, I got the set-up from you. Do you remember how many balance weights you used on each wheel? The front passenger's side has 4 weights and all the other wheels have 5. If now pulls to the right. Could I have lost a weight.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I agree that it may have been a weight falling off, but after 2 weeks it probably would have already fallen off if it was going to. Either way, just bring it back to the same shop, tell them it's not right and ask them to take a look. They can check the balance and alignment. It's their job to get it right.
      06-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
Ray
Rep

Quote:
RAY

Is that you from MACH III? If so, I got the set-up from you. Do you remember how many balance weights you used on each wheel? The front passenger's side has 4 weights and all the other wheels have 5. If now pulls to the right. Could I have lost a weight.
Hello Matt.

The amount of weights will vary, but there is a chance. If I had the car here, my first test would be on the alignment rack.
Appreciate 0