F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Replacement airbag encoding.
Extreme Powerhouse

05-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
lee99
Rep
Drives: f30

Replacement airbag encoding.

Hi all,

Friends F30 was in a slight collision minor damage,drivers airbag and seatbelt tensioner activated these were replaced but still has the airbag light on dash and restraint system fault on idrive.

Tried ESYS and Ista to remove DTC’s but no luck and it looks like it’s hard coded in the airbag module.

There seems to be various routes to take here;

1.send old airbag to be reset
2.take a chance on a non crash module and encode

Anyone used these companies that resets airbags and if to us a non crash module what’s the correct procedure to code it to Car and is it doable on ESYS?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee99 View Post
Hi all,

Friends F30 was in a slight collision minor damage,drivers airbag and seatbelt tensioner activated these were replaced but still has the airbag light on dash and restraint system fault on idrive.

Tried ESYS and Ista to remove DTC’s but no luck and it looks like it’s hard coded in the airbag module.

Anyone used these companies that resets airbags and if to us a non crash module what’s the correct procedure to code it to Car and is it doable on ESYS?

Thanks.
Have you ran through a measures plan on ISTA?
      05-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks.
So you've tried clearing the crash data from the ASCM? If you've tried clearing those codes and resetting it and it still doesn't work, you may have a faulty module/sensor. New airbag could be faulty (Just had a buddy buy an airbag and it turned out to be bad), you might've switched from single stage to dual stage (or vice versa), crash sensor or ASCM module might be bad, etc. Also, can you do a read of all codes and post which ones you're receiving?

You can also try your hand at Tool32 to see if makes any difference (Although I think ISTA+ should clear it, but you never know ) and that same tool can be used to code new modules if one goes bad and is replaced.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
lee99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
Have you ran through a measures plan on ISTA?
I have tried ISTA and ESYS to clear the errors but no luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
lee99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
So you've tried clearing the crash data from the ASCM? If you've tried clearing those codes and resetting it and it still doesn't work, you may have a faulty module/sensor. New airbag could be faulty (Just had a buddy buy an airbag and it turned out to be bad), you might've switched from single stage to dual stage (or vice versa), crash sensor or ASCM module might be bad, etc. Also, can you do a read of all codes and post which ones you're receiving?

You can also try your hand at Tool32 to see if makes any difference (Although I think ISTA+ should clear it, but you never know ) and that same tool can be used to code new modules if one goes bad and is replaced.
Tried resetting the ASCM and delete codes but not removing the DTC’s,no mention of single or dual stage on airbags in ISTA,need to run scan again and post up.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Tried resetting the ASCM and delete codes but not removing the DTC’s,no mention of single or dual stage on airbags in ISTA,need to run scan again and post up.
Try those and see. Also, see if you can check what type of airbag he got. I think in the UK, you use single stage as well. If you put in a dual stage, you can get it to work but will need coding (two values). I'm not sure if ISTA will tell you, so you'll have to pull the bag out and look.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 11:49 PM   #7
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
If tensioners blew, they need replacing. No reset will make error go away after they have fired.

If you actually look at them, it’s pretty easy to tell if they blew. Part will be sticking out the front.
Said he replaced them, unless he's speaking about something else.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #8
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Says that in first line, but then talks in circles in second part of OP.

On airbag, for example, one certainly cannot send it off to be reset, for example.

As thus it's unclear what he's done.

I'm not sure that esys can clear permanent error codes as ISTA can.
Well, until the AM (for us)... lol

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 01:22 AM   #9
lee99
Rep

To clarify the drivers airbag got deployed and replaced,both seatbelt tensioner was replaced.

Read with ista and ESYS for Dtc’s and performed reset and delete of dtc’s But with no result,reason is to try all possible “soft coding” methods before it’s either replaced if damaged beyond repair or reset or rewritten with clear data.

Lastly to try Tool32 to attempt to clear the dtc’s.

Thanks for the replies and help guys!

Last edited by lee99; 05-03-2018 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #10
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

ISTA should clear the errors, I could take a look via Teamviewer.
      05-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #11
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
To clarify the drivers airbag got deployed and replaced,both seatbelt tensioner was replaced.

Read with ista and ESYS for Dtc’s and performed reset and delete of dtc’s But with no result,reason is to try all possible “soft coding” methods before it’s either replaced if damaged beyond repair or reset or rewritten with clear data.

Lastly to try Tool32 to attempt to clear the dtc’s.

Thanks for the replies and help guys!
Can you ensure what type of airbag it is? Single or dual stage? It's possible that the install wasn't done correctly or it's a different stage, so coding is jacked up.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #12
lee99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
ISTA should clear the errors, I could take a look via Teamviewer.

Maybe I’m using Ista incorrectly?

Might take up on your offer.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #13
lee99
Rep

Quote:
Can you ensure what type of airbag it is? Single or dual stage? It's possible that the install wasn't done correctly or it's a different stage, so coding is jacked up.
I’d assume being a Uk Car the parts would be supplied correctly,how to identify single or dual stage if I were to take airbag out.

Regards to the coding can you advise what are the parameters needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #14
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I’d assume being a Uk Car the parts would be supplied correctly,how to identify single or dual stage if I were to take airbag out.

Regards to the coding can you advise what are the parameters needed.
I'd assume so as well, but it never hurts to check.

What you do is take off the airbag and look at the connectors. If it's single stage, it'll have one connector (usually yellow). If it's dual stage, it'll be the same connector with another smaller connector (blue or white) coming from the same bundle of wires. So literally one plug or two plugs.

For coding, once you confirm which type of airbag you have, go in and check these settings. Read the code data from the FIRST ACSM module and open it for FDL coding:

ASCM MODULE
Funktion_airbag_fahrer_stufe_2
Adaptive_airbag_fahrer_vent

Now, for the values of those. If you confirm that it is a single stage airbag, set both to nicht aktiv. If it is a dual stage, set both to aktiv. Since your car is a single stage, it should be set to nicht aktiv already, but just double check for sanity sake. If you make any changes, make sure you code that module.

Afterwards, use Tool32 to clear the code and cross your fingers. If it doesn't work, the airbag is faulty or another sensor/part is broken.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #15
lee99
Rep

Quote:

What you do is take off the airbag and look at the connectors. If it's single stage, it'll have one connector (usually yellow). If it's dual stage, it'll be the same connector with another smaller connector (blue or white) coming from the same bundle of wires. So literally one plug or two plugs.

For coding, once you confirm which type of airbag you have, go in and check these settings. Read the code data from the FIRST ACSM module and open it for FDL coding:

ASCM MODULE

Now, for the values of those. If you confirm that it is a single stage airbag, set both to nicht aktiv. If it is a dual stage, set both to aktiv. Since your car is a single stage, it should be set to nicht aktiv already, but just double check for sanity sake. If you make any changes, make sure you code that module.

Afterwards, use Tool32 to clear the code and cross your fingers. If it doesn't work, the airbag is faulty or another sensor/part is broken.
Thanks for the explanation and procedures,I’d suppose if just tried coding single stage first and try deleting the dtc’s and if that won’t work I code for dual stage with DTC’s delete afterwards,if this doesn’t I have to assume something is broke!

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:

ASCM MODULE

Pics of Dual Stage, which I doubt is available in EU
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #17
lee99
Rep

Quote:

Thanks that Is very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #18
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Its happened and has happened. Might as rule everything out while you're in there but yes, I doubt that's the issue, although an easy one to check.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 05:14 AM   #19
lee99
Rep

Update:

Tried ISTA+,ESYS and tool32 all not removing the error on dash or idive,sent off the airbag module got the crash data removed,reinstalled in car all errors are removed.

Thanks all for your advice and inputs.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 04:18 AM   #20
Wrusss
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

I have a problem with restrain system also. After diagnosis it shows:
1. SBT terminal resistance too small. Fault code 930993.
2. Reel tensioners driver. Resistance too big. Fault code 930B08.
3. Central gateway. Central error memory full. Fault code 801C20

I am using bimmercode and carly for bmw. Can i code reel tensioner without replcing it? Car is from USA
Appreciate 0