BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F30 to F48... wise move or not?

05-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
Pij
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 320D M Sport

F30 to F48... wise move or not?

Have got a 2015 320d M Sport which I’m due to change towards the end of the year, ideally a bit earlier. I don’t think the G20 is going to be out by the time mine is due back and in any sense I wouldn’t mind a bit of a change anyway.

I’m extremely interested in a G30 however I’m afraid pricing might rule that out for me. So I’m thinking of an X1 as a back up if that plan doesn’t come off. I’m aware that it’s a totally different car in every sense BUT it’s the only other car I’m remotely interested in at the minute.

So my question is, is an F30 to an F48 a wise move?

The missus has a large SUV so whatever I end up with won’t normally be the go to car for family trips. However it will still need to accommodate a child seat in the back and enough boot space for said child’s arsenal of toys, bikes, push chair, etc. My F30 does this easily and with room to spare so I’m looking for something to equal that. I’d also like it to replicate the refinement and comfort of my F30.

I’ve not arranged a test drive of one yet, but how are they to drive? I read some damning reviews of the old E84 and the same reviewers weren’t much impressed with the F48.

But there are so many unanswered questions... S drive or X drive? 18 or 20? Diesel or petrol? I need someone to be ruthless enough to tell me what’s hot and what’s not about this car from their own personal knowledge but without the push of a BMW salesman

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
greygoose
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I have had mine for 3 weeks now having previously had a 1M (which I kept for weekends), it is a 2 litre petrol S drive as I do not do enough miles to justify a diesel and didn't want one anyway. I have been pleasantly surprised about how it is quite quick really for quite a big car and the ride comfort is very good as the roads are pretty dire where I live. It is tall though and there is some roll in the corners if you press on. The space inside is very good with plenty of room for 4 adults and luggage.

It is never going to be a sports saloon due to the size but as a practical, reasonably fast, comfortable car it is very good.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
Pij
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
It is never going to be a sports saloon due to the size but as a practical, reasonably fast, comfortable car it is very good.
And that’s the one thing that’s telling me not to do it at the moment, the fact that the F30 is a better looking car. Every time I walk back to my car in the supermarket or finishing work each day, I fall in love with it all over again when I see it. Whilst the X1 looks pretty darn good in M Sport and X Line trims, the 3 series has the edge for me.

How is the S drive? Do you notice much of a difference?

I’ll probably lean more towards petrol as I don’t do enough mileage for the benefits of diesel. What does a full tank get you in yours? My F30 has always been brilliant on the juice, between 520-550 miles per tank. Lately though, the last 6 or so months, it’s dropped dramatically and I’m now getting less than 500 out of a full tank. Haven’t changed my driving style and I’m doing the same journeys as I always have been. Services and MOT’d on time and very well looked after. At first I just thought it was crappy supermarket diesel but I’ve literally gone to a different garage every time and it’s still the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
YellowCone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i MSport

I’ve just made this exact swap myself.

I traded my 2017 320i Sport for a 2018 X1 xLine xDrive20i and I certainly don’t regret the decision. You have to try to separate the two in your mind, they are very different cars to one another. I loved my f30 and I was reluctant in changing it at all, but needs must and all that.

The X1 is more comfortable by a mile, to my mind anyway. The suspension rides our beaten up UK roads better. It’s also quieter (believe it or not!) and feels just as nimble as my 3 did. Don’t get me wrong it’s no sport saloon, but it isn’t trying to be. It’s just a really good small SUV. It has all the same toys as the 3, with some added practicality at the cost of outright handling. It’s still a fun thing to hustle along but the limit is that bit nearer.

I won’t be going back to the F30, and every time I see a nice 3 Series I do have that little sigh, but every time I get back in the x1 I know I made the right decision.

It’s a tough one - cars are incredibly personal things really!

Last edited by YellowCone; 05-15-2018 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
Pij
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowCone View Post
I’ve just made this exact swap myself.

I traded my 2017 320i Sport for a 2018 X1 xLine xDrive20i and I certainly don’t regret the decision. You have to try to separate the two in your mind, they are very different cars to one another. I loved my f30 and I was reluctant in changing it at all, but needs must and all that.

The X1 is more comfortable by a mile, to my mind anyway. The suspension rides our beaten up UK roads better. It’s also quieter (believe it or not!) and feels just as nimble as my 3 did. Don’t get me wrong it’s no sport saloon, but it isn’t trying to be. It’s just a really good small SUV. It has all the same toys as the 3, with some added practicality at the cost of outright handling. It’s still a fun thing to hustle along but the limit is that bit nearer.

I won’t be going back to the F30, and every time I see a nice 3 Series I do have that little sigh, but every time I get back in the x1 I know I made the right decision.

It’s a tough one - cars are incredibly personal things really!

Ah excellent, that makes me feel better about making the possible switch! How do you find it on fuel?

Comfort is a massive thing for me. Some of the roads around here are being left to rot and though my F30 handles them well, it does get a bit ropy at times. I drove my Dad’s X3 2.0 Xdrive M Sport a few weeks back and it was a LOT more comfortable than mine. I also like the thought of the the higher driving position.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
YellowCone
Private
Rep

I’ve only had mine two weeks, but so far it’s doing 34mpg mostly in congested m6 traffic and round town. Managed 41 on a run down to Milton Keynes. Not much different to my 3 Series to be fair, and she’s still running in.

As far as comfort, remember to spec the adaptive suspension too. It costs a few hundred quid and means you get the best of both worlds. In comfort mode it’s vastly superior to the standard suspension on the 3, but then whack it in sport mode and it all firms up ready for some fun. Well worth the small outlay for what it gains.

The seats are also height adjustable, but make sure you spec the sport seats. They are much, much better than the standard seats. I have the standard seats in mine and it’s my one bugbear. I miss the sport seats I had in the 3. For £300 next time I’d spec those too.

Do both of those and you really won’t regret it pal, the X1 is just about the best small premium SUV on the market... in my opinion of course!

Last edited by YellowCone; 05-15-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
Pij
Enlisted Member
Rep

Brilliant, thanks so much for your info!

I’m going to have to get down to my local dealer and organise a test drive. It’ll have to be soon because in the event that I’m not happy with it, I’ll have to carefully consider what my next move is going be. There are literally no other cars I’m interested in right now other than the G30, but as I said it’s a little out of my price range at the moment.

I like the idea of having an SUV because I’ve never had one.

Am I right in thinking the service costs on the X1 are more in line with the 1 series?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
YellowCone
Private
Rep

Oh and I forgot to say... I went xDrive just because personally front drive in a beemer just felt wrong, lol. Probably mostly unnecessary but useful come winter time.

And stick to the 18s, any bigger and you’ll spoil the ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #9
YellowCone
Private
Rep

Service should cost slightly less than the 3 does. So I’d say yes, roughly in line with the 1/2 Series.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #10
Pij
Enlisted Member
Rep

Xdrive would be my ideal choice but it’s all dependant on price. It’ll probably be between the the Sdrive 18 M sport Auto and the Xdrive version. Although I’m curious to see the Xline too.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #11
YellowCone
Private
Rep

I chose the xLine because the MSport has stiffer, lower suspension and bigger wheels, and I specifically wanted to avoid that combination. They’re incredibly similar spec wise, the real difference is cosmetic. Ones ‘luxury’ the other ‘sporty’.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #12
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I'd also suggest that if ride quality is a priority then go for non-runflat tyres. I had runflats on my last E61 5 series estate/touring and they did make bumps in the road a bit crashy at times. I went for 18" non-runflats on my X1 (petrol xLine xDrive) and it's more comfortable. The X1 is noisier than the 5 though, which I suppose is to be expected. I did have a 3 series loaner for one day while my X1 was in the workshop, and I really missed the raised driving position and the smoother ride of the X1. Not a very comprehensive comparison as it was only a short time, but I was glad to get my X1 back.

We find it a great family car. Plenty of room, although we have to use a roofbox when going away as the dog takes up the boot. Three adults in the back is a squeeze, but with with just my daughter in the back she's got loads of room.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #13
Pij
Enlisted Member
Rep

Can you drop runflats from an M sport?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #14
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

I had the e84 sDrive18 before I changed to the f48 sDrive20i. In short, they are two totally different cars. The only common thing is probably they have 4 tires, a steering wheel and a bmw badge. Each has their own pros and cons.

But if you are going to get the 20i, do get the xdrive. A lot of unwanted front wheelspin in the fwd, which is the biggest issue with mine.

You might also want to test the new x2 while you are looking around. I think it should handle closer to the f30. Happy shopping.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 12:32 AM   #15
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

I got a loaner 320 (brand new) and it felt like a downgrade from my F48 (x28). I can't quite put it to words, part of it was the stripped down base model, but overall I thought it would drive significantly better due to the lower center of gravity and RWD. It didn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #16
Heathwood
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: X1 X-Drive 20i Med Blue

I'm still loving mine after 2.5 months ownership. OK so the manual shifter is a bit clunky but the interior is still looking immaculate.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #17
Mushy007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2D MH M Sport 2021

Hopefully I can share my experiences, I use my car for business and really put them through the miles!

In eight years, I've had two(60k and 40k miles) E87 118d m sports, then onto the E90 318d business 110k miles in 3yrs, then an F30 320ed 75k in 3yrs, got an Audi A3 8V which was a mutt(never buy an audi!) 80k miles and now in my X1 18d Xdrive msport 9months 14k miles.

Having a little girl now, space was a premium and finding a BMW with seats that drop is hard work, so the X1 was a good choice, I did want the 25d, but not many about and driving past williams in Liverpool, i spotted my current car and took it for a drive. I never find myself wanting more power and its so comfy to drive, especially long distance, I'm getting 650mile range to a tank and in the recent bad weather the xdrive was so impressive, every BMW i get now MUST have xdrive! Only really bug is tyre choice, two options both very expensive and thats because the 18'' sport wheels are the same size as the Audi R8 and they cost £170+ each.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #18
Loulybell
Rep
Drives: F48 xLine 20d auto 2017

I changed from a 2013 320d xDrive, to a brand new X1 20d xLine auto in December. I've found it a big adjustment and my biggest complaint is the road noise on coarse surfaces. That's with non-run flat 18 inch wheels. I also wish I'd gone for sports seats as I really miss the ones in the F30. I do like the raised driving position though and the auto gearbox is great for smoothly wafting around town. I'm still hoping I can settle with it and need to stop looking at nearly new 4 series!
Appreciate 0