Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Do tires deteriorate if not mounted? Bridgestones or Michelins?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
mrh335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 sedan, jet black

Do tires deteriorate if not mounted? Bridgestones or Michelins?

I am looking to buy some "like new" tires for my 335i since I recently hit a pot hole and have a bubble in my front passenger tire.

I know that I have to now replace both fronts since there is ~9/32 of tread left, but am wondering if I should buy four new tires and replace all of them with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP run flats, just swap the front two off for now with the Michelins and leave the rear Bridgestones in place until I wear them out and then put on the Michelins or what.

If I do just put the Michelins on the front now and keep the Bridgestones on the rear for the time being, is there any harm?

If I store the Michelins in my basement unmounted for the next year until I put them on in place of my Bridgestones, will they break down, rot, or have any bad things happen to them just for sitting?

Is there a big motivation to just put all four Michelins on and sell my three good tires? I have heard the Michelins are better, but haven't searched through to see why they are better than the Bridgestones.

Please provide some insight.
      06-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Shelf life does make a difference. If it's a few months I wouldn't worry about it... But I probably wouldn't store anything for close to a year. I'd rather just purchase them at a later time. You may get better shelf life out of the sun in the basement, but I would still just purchase as needed.
      06-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The BMW Wheel and Tire brochure says you can store them in room temperature in black trash bags for a maximum for six years.
      06-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

Read this:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
You COULD store them for six years, but they definitely deteriorate over time, and more so if in the sun or in constant temperature fluctuations. A few months is honestly the longest I would wait before putting them on a car. In fact, I only order my tires from places like Tire Rack that have really high stock rotation in order to get tires that have not sat in their warehouse for a very long time.