E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Am I about to blow my turbo? Help with log!

06-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Xdrive (E92)

Am I about to blow my turbo? Help with log!

Hi all, I'm hearing all sorts of things in the "MHD Check my Log" thread but I thought I'd post here, since most of those guys seem to be running N54's.

https://datazap.me/u/eyehategod/e30-...data=4-5-12-17

First, apparently I can't get onto the latest map and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. MHD Tuning sent me a link to the beta version of MHD (labeled v1.52), I downloaded it last night and drove to the gas station and put E85 in, bought the E30 map and switched to it. The log above is maybe my 3rd WOT pull after switching maps.

I've been told a few things in the check my log thread:
I'm way under target on boost
Probable boost leak
I should swap my ER charge pipe back to the stock one (???)
My WGDC% is way too high
I'm at risk of blowing up my turbo if I keep going WOT (???!?!?!)

Obviously the last one scares the jeebus out of me. Appreciate any help here! Switching to E30 seemed to really help with my corrections which were bad before, although I'm still getting a correction on cylinder 5. I'm at 46k miles, injectors done at 25k, spark plugs + coil packs done at about 40k miles. Last oil change was a few months ago, I did add Techron a few weeks ago to one of my tanks and haven't done any oil change since.

And when I die, make sure you spread my blood on a BMW
2012 E92 335i xdrive | KW V1 Coilovers | ER Chargepipe | VRSF 7" HD | VRSF Catless DP | MHD Stage 2+ | xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
flipmode
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Your log looks very good. The stock turbo cannot hold boost at higher rpms, it is normal to be 3-5 psi below target. The WGDC is high to keep your load on target, that's normal for the stock turbo. You have no boost leak and don't change back to the stock chargepipe, it will crack. The odd timing correction of -3 or less is safe, you have no issues. I also just switched over to the E30 tune and is comparable to my log.
      06-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmode View Post
Your log looks very good. The stock turbo cannot hold boost at higher rpms, it is normal to be 3-5 psi below target. The WGDC is high to keep your load on target, that's normal for the stock turbo. You have no boost leak and don't change back to the stock chargepipe, it will crack. The odd timing correction of -3 or less is safe, you have no issues. I also just switched over to the E30 tune and is comparable to my log.
where magical are you getting E30 in ontario my friend ? Something i dont know ?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
flipmode
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
where magical are you getting E30 in ontario my friend ? Something i dont know ?

Here my friend......its a beautiful thing! Gets delivered right to your house.

https://www.n54tuning.com/e85-fuel-1...-delivery.html
      06-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Really appreciate you taking a look at it. The other guys still seem convinced I've got a leak somewhere...And I have been reading up on how the wastegate works, apparently it is supposed to stabilize at a lower number by the time I get high up into the RPMs?

Thinking about how my chargepipe install went it seems possible I may have forgotten to place the rubber o-ring on the inside of it - only because I can't remember if I did that or not. Guess I'll take it off to double check. I also noticed during the install that the flange piece with the hole cut out of it is too large in diameter for the stock bolt + rubber grommet that secures the CP to the chassis. I took a pic of it:

View post on imgur.com

Quote:

I'm not in Canada but what...that's awesome.

2012 E92 335i xdrive | KW V1 Coilovers | ER Chargepipe | VRSF 7" HD | VRSF Catless DP | MHD Stage 2+ | xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
flipmode
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyehategod View Post
Thinking about how my chargepipe install went it seems possible I may have forgotten to place the rubber o-ring on the inside of it - only because I can't remember if I did that or not. Guess I'll take it off to double check. I also noticed during the install that the flange piece with the hole cut out of it is too large in diameter for the stock bolt + rubber grommet that secures the CP to the chassis. I took a pic of it:
Comparing logs, you are about 1 psi under mine. So its not too far off. But yes, definitely check and make sure you swapped the rubber o-ring over to the new chargepipe. As well, mine was the same, the hole cutout in the flange piece is large. My stock bolt and rubber garment barely secured it. We have the same chargepipe.

Last edited by flipmode; 06-08-2018 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat dude i have to buy you a drink. serious if ur in waterloo/kitchener area
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #8
flipmode
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat dude i have to buy you a drink. serious if ur in waterloo/kitchener area
Sounds good buddy......
      06-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #9
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

Quote:

Do you know if they do this for other locations too? I'm in New Hampshire and we don't have e85
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #10
flipmode
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwgrenier View Post
Do you know if they do this for other locations too? I'm in New Hampshire and we don't have e85
No, just here in Ontario.......
      06-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #11
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

sorry to hijack the thread, your logs look awesome.. worry more about ur motor than turbo.. ur turbo is small any not capable of those targets. ur turbo will outlast the motor
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #12
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
sorry to hijack the thread, your logs look awesome.. worry more about ur motor than turbo.. ur turbo is small any not capable of those targets. ur turbo will outlast the motor
Thanks bud, I think the MHD check my log thread guys were looking at my turbo and thinking about how their twin turbo setups work. Do you see something up with my motor?

I was kind of confused - I wanted to run the E30 map to fix my timing corrections, but that map seems to have turned the boost target up even higher from Stage 1+. Is there any way to run a less aggressive E30 map?

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #13
flipmode
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I don’t understand why you want a less aggressive map. Your log looks fine running E30. Boost targets are higher because of the 30% ethanol mix your running. It can handle higher boost levels. If you don’t want that, go back to stage 1+ or stage 2.

Last edited by flipmode; 06-09-2018 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #14
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don’t understand why you want a less aggressive map. Your log looks fine running E30. Boost targets are higher because of the 30% ethanol mix your running. It can handle higher boost levels. If you don’t want that, go back to stage 1+ or stage 2.
I just figured that because the e30 map says it recommends a catless downpipe, and I haven't done that yet, I should do a less aggressive map. Not to mention now that my tune is more aggressive, I'm getting what I think is an audible boost leak. Unless at this stage it's normal to now be able to hear the air buulding. It doesn't quite whistle, but it sounds almost like a whistle and sounds like a leak to me after this new map.

Quote:
Comparing logs, you are about 1 psi under mine. So its not too far off. But yes, definitely check and make sure you swapped the rubber o-ring over to the new chargepipe. As well, mine was the same, the hole cutout in the flange piece is large. My stock bolt and rubber garment barely secured it. We have the same chargepipe.

You guys were right about missing the O-ring! So I did that, but after this new e30 map I think I audibly have a boost leak. I already checked the lower - > upper charge pipe and the connection to the intake. My leak is audible, that's why I wonder if it could even be the solenoid? This also happened to me after going to stage 2 e30, although I haven't gotten around to installing my catless downpipe yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #15
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Would anyone mind looking at my newest log? I'm sort of lost as to where this boost leak is coming from, don't know if the log might tell how bad the leak is/where it could be coming from. My friend/mechanic got under the car over the weekend and changed the position of a t-clamp on the hot side of the intercooler. It seemed to help the leak, but I'm still audibly hearing a leak on both sides of the car.

I backed off to Stage 1+ with 93 octane pump gas since E85 was becoming difficult to find, and my mechanic advised me not to even run E30 without upgrading the LPFP.

https://datazap.me/u/eyehategod/stage-1?log=0&data=4-12

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #16
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Would anyone mind looking at my newest log? I'm sort of lost as to where this boost leak is coming from, don't know if the log might tell how bad the leak is/where it could be coming from. My friend/mechanic got under the car over the weekend and changed the position of a t-clamp on the hot side of the intercooler. It seemed to help the leak, but I'm still audibly hearing a leak on both sides of the car.

I backed off to Stage 1+ with 93 octane pump gas since E85 was becoming difficult to find, and my mechanic advised me not to even run E30 without upgrading the LPFP.

It looks like your actual boost is spiking quite oddly and then continuing to overshoot the target boost. If there is a leak, then the car may be trying to compensate for it, hence the spikes.

I would start with smoke testing all of your plumbing and seeing if there are any blatantly noticeable leaks. From my personal experience with boost leaks, some may be caught with the smoke test, while others will only begin to leak under certain pressure levels. If you can audibly hear the air escaping while under throttle, you might have to do a pressure test on the plumbing if the smoke test doesn't get you anywhere.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

Is it a high pitched squeal noise?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #18
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Is it a high pitched squeal noise?
It isn't exactly high pitched, maybe just a bit. It really sounds more like a woosh of air building up, which seems to happen most at low RPM as the boost is building up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
It looks like your actual boost is spiking quite oddly and then continuing to overshoot the target boost. If there is a leak, then the car may be trying to compensate for it, hence the spikes.

I would start with smoke testing all of your plumbing and seeing if there are any blatantly noticeable leaks. From my personal experience with boost leaks, some may be caught with the smoke test, while others will only begin to leak under certain pressure levels. If you can audibly hear the air escaping while under throttle, you might have to do a pressure test on the plumbing if the smoke test doesn't get you anywhere.
I think I'll put that as next on my agenda. First I'll go through and check all of my couplers again. None of this started until I put my new intercooler on, so I'm thinking it's likely just some bad connections between couplers. I called around a few shops in the area, and the cheapest quote I could get for a boost leak test was $140 which seems kind of unreasonable to me if they have the equipment and know what they're doing already.

Appreciate 0