BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Idrive issue

06-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5D

Idrive issue

My Idrive system has developed a malfunction inasmuch it only stays on for some 20 secs or so.
The screen repeatedly displays BMW Connected drive then goes to display what the last option was. If this was the radio then it plays for 20 secs then turns off and then the BMW Connected drive displays again and radio etc etc.
Sat nave will not start but just displays the screen with the skyscraper graphics.
camera starts on selecting reverse but display is lost 20 secs or so into the manoeuvre.

Any body had such an issue?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

Funnily enough mine has started playing up a bit recently, but not quite as bad as that. I find when I start the car up for a second time after it being left for just a short period, say 15 mins while I do a bit of shopping, the sat nav fails to start properly. I also get the "Starting..." graphic, and the map doesn't show and the speed limit displays in the instrument cluster doesn't show either; just "---" instead of the speed limit signs.

The reversing camera still works though, and the radio/USB media. It's just the sat nav that's locked up.

It seems to be OK after being left for a much longer time, say overnight. If this carries on I'll be booking it in as a warranty issue...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 05:29 AM   #3
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep

Been into dealership for them to diagnose the problem.
It's the head unit screen that's on the dash that requires teplacing which should happen tomorrow.
The screen unit contains all the electronics so in addition to its replacement the car will need reprogramming. Could be a three hour job so pleased it's under warranty.

Message from this I suppose is if your unit is showing odd symptoms - get it checked out and replaced if required before warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

My nav has frozen several times. The dealership diagnosed a fault with the head unit and the new one is going in tomorrow. Fingers crossed this will fix my issues.

I'm also slightly worried about my BT system has started dropping calls randomly and then reconnecting.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep

New system on board, we'll see if I have any more issues. 3rd trip back now scheduled for vanity mirror since my dealership appears to have 0 X1 parts in stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #6
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep

Screen head unit replaced and software upload completed - all seems fine at the moment.
Made enquiries with the parts department when at the dealers and whilst not openly stating it, I could read from his reaction etc that failures of the head unit are not uncommon, which could be an expensive issue post expiry of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 06:54 AM   #7
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep

I no longer have the option to push notifications from my phone to the car in the BT menu on my phone. Yet another service appointment scheduled for next week. You'd figure with last gen idrive tech in the first release of the f48 it'd be more reliable.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep

Post replacement now my car honks at me if I get out while it's running and have the keys on me. I hope I didn't wake up any neighbors this morning taking out the trash. I was surprised it didn't honk when I bought it, but didn't think it was something that would have changed b/c of the HU getting updated.
Appreciate 0