BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions how does 530e recharge itself?

06-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
boonkgang13k
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e

how does 530e recharge itself?

i watched a video on youtube that talks about regenerate braking... is this how it is recharged?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
bananas2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonkgang13k View Post
i watched a video on youtube that talks about regenerate braking... is this how it is recharged?
Well that, and you can plug it in of course. It can also use the gas engine to charge the battery if you're driving at speeds where using EV mode would be less efficient.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 03:12 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Regenerative braking is the only 'free' energy added to the system. To get the best energy harvesting, driving style needs to be concentrated on over-runs and slow downs, without using the brakes.

Charging the batteries using the ICE is a very inefficient way to charge the batteries. The more miles from plug-in power the better.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 05:56 AM   #4
boonkgang13k
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Regenerative braking is the only 'free' energy added to the system. To get the best energy harvesting, driving style needs to be concentrated on over-runs and slow downs, without using the brakes.

Charging the batteries using the ICE is a very inefficient way to charge the batteries. The more miles from plug-in power the better.
So what mode should I drive? The battery control mode?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
RussH69
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e

Agree with HighlandPete - Using your engine to charge the battery in 'Battery Control Mode' halves your MPG so negates all the savings unless you have to use Battery Only for certain zones or conditions. Slowing Down without brakes makes the journey more interesting, although not as aggressive as some of the new electric models that are starting to surface such as the Jag I-Pace. The most efficient way I have found is to just to start on a full charge and whack it into Auto EV mode + Eco Mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 06:47 AM   #6
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:

So what mode should I drive? The battery control mode?
Plug the car overnight. That's your most efficient way to charge the battery depending on electricity costs in your country.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
boonkgang13k
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH69 View Post
Agree with HighlandPete - Using your engine to charge the battery in 'Battery Control Mode' halves your MPG so negates all the savings unless you have to use Battery Only for certain zones or conditions. Slowing Down without brakes makes the journey more interesting, although not as aggressive as some of the new electric models that are starting to surface such as the Jag I-Pace. The most efficient way I have found is to just to start on a full charge and whack it into Auto EV mode + Eco Mode.
My understanding of Auto EV mode is that the engine will automatically determine whether to use gas or electricity based on speed or something. Does this mode also help recharging the battery?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Plug the car overnight. That's your most efficient way to charge the battery depending on electricity costs in your country.
And for EV efficiency the 'miles remaining' as close to zero as possible when you get back home. Even better if you can do the same and charge while at work.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #9
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

I personally only drive in auto EV mode. Your charging and driving habits will have the greatest impact on efficiency. You may be able to change modes and/or tweak some settings for a modest gain but Auto EV will manage everything for you.

Now, the complicated answer to your original question. Most modern cars have some level of "regenerative breaking". It can range from simply running an alternator only while slowing down to a more aggressive generator like in electric cars that can charge a high voltage battery and result in a significant reduction in speed of the vehicle. The key is that momentum is used to generate electricity rather than burning fuel. The 530e will use fuel when the battery is depleted to maintain a minimum charge for hybrid driving and E boost. There is a setting for how much battery level to maintain. You can set it high to save battery for performance or use it up for more efficiency. The setting ranges from 30-100%.
Appreciate 0