BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Seat movement

06-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5D

Seat movement

Noticed recently that on turning corners at slowish speeds there is a noticeable slight movement in the base of the drivers seat.

It is felt as a slight mechanical side shift possibly in the central pad area.

I have tried various adjusted positions or height, fore aft adjustment etc but problem still exists.

The car is equipped with sports seats with electric adjustment and driver memory plus electric lumbar adjustment.

Any body had or felt similar?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
jaganmohan84
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 F48

Hi,

I’ve exact same issue on my 2016 X1. I took it to the dealer and they said all the bolts are tight, nothing loose. They couldn’t replicate the issue.

Did you find the issue with the seat?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 06:30 AM   #3
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep

Interesting to hear of another X1 with the same issue - i thought from lack of replies it was just my car.
Will be booking car into local dealer to investigate within next couple of weeks so will keep you posted.
As a guide to checking to see if movement exists - if you grip each on the seat base side bolster parts and attempt to push and pull the seat sidewards there is just a perceptible movement which isn't evident at all on the front passenger seat.
The effect is worsened when sitting in the seat driving as I guess body weight and other factors come into play and the movement is more evident. Feels like the old effect on non electric adjust seats of having the slid the seat forward or back and it hasn't latched properly and the first time you brake it clicks in. Similar feeling with my seat but rather than fore aft its sidewards.

More noticeable when making manoeuvres such as slowly driving around a car park and making sharp turns etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
jaganmohan84
Registered
Rep

Hi,

did you find the issue with seat movement?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep

Hi jaganmoran - cars booked in at dealers mid August for the seat issue to be investigated.
Out of interst are you able to feel any side movement in your seat if you test as my earlier report.

Cars also having a clunk from front suspension and or steering, as reported by other forum members, investigated at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
jaganmohan84
Registered
Rep

Yse, I've the exact issue with my 2016 X1 F48. I took it to the service dept twice, but they sid they couldn't replicate the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #7
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep

Cars been into dealers today part reason being to investigate the seat movement.
Report back is nothing found but I suspect this is simply as a result of a workshop static check rather than a drive test.

On next visit to dealers I have requested a technician drives the car with myself. I have the ideal corner junction in mind that has a bit of adverse camber and this always seems to prompt the movement.

Difficult to explain but the whole seat itself seems to be secure - its the part your bottom sits on that seems to shift slightly.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep

Car has been back to dealers to have an engine / transmission mount replaced and I took the opportunity of having one of the workshop technicians test drive the car to see if he could identify the seat movement issue.
Usual thing the fault wasnt there on the day but they did agree to investigate in the workshop.

Conclusion - nothing found so the problem lives on and if possible I have been asked to get back to the dealers as soon as it re occurs.

My suspicion is that its related to where the seat is positioned. Occasionally I move seat forward and back to improve space for rear seat occupants and its possible at the moment its not exactly positioned as it was when seat movement was evident?

Apparently there was an issue with seat movement on 5 series models which proved to be worn bushes on the adjustment mechanism but technician hadn't experienced any issues with the X1.

Any feed back welcome
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #9
Tizzo
Registered
Rep
Drives: F48

I had a similar issue on my 2016 when I turned; the seat would shift slightly. I brought it to the dealer and they confirmed something was not even on the base of the seat. They had to order a new bracket. Once it was replaced, there was no more wobble.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
Mine does this after collision repair.

Last edited by mikeyb74; 10-05-2018 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #11
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

I am seeing the same after getting my wheel alignment, I always thought it was the wheels. Good to know there is a fix.

The Mini inheritance of this car seems to be poking around every now & then.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #12
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep

Be a valuable gain to solutioning the seat movement issue if we could find out what the bracket under the seat was that Tizzo's car in the US had replaced?

Anyone know how to get into parts diagrams?

Alternative might be me visiting dealer to see if the parts department can obliged?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #13
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep

Cars been back to dealer again for the suspension clunk noise and whilst there I asked them to check the seat movement issue again.
Pleased to say that it has been agreed that the seat base will be replaced.
New base on order from Germany which could be a few weeks to arrive in uk. Will report again once its been replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 05:32 AM   #14
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

My F39 X2 seems to have this issue! Very slight movement when braking or accelerating, hoping I can get the dealer to see what I mean as I’m guessing some people may not even notice this! General consensus on the remedy I’m seeing on different forums (5 series, X3, X1’s) seems to be seat base or total frame replacement! Did your base replacement solve the issue completely?
Appreciate 0