BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Brake Energy Regeneration...what is it?

07-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550iX

Brake Energy Regeneration...what is it?

Reading the standard features for the 2019 M550iX, I see "Brake Energy Regeneration" under performance and efficiency. I always thought of this as an electric vehicle thing, anyone know what it is?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 12:49 AM   #2
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

POWER FROM YOUR BRAKE PEDAL.
BRAKE ENERGY REGENERATION.
With Brake Energy Regeneration, BMW EfficientDynamics points the way to a more energy-efficient future. As soon as you brake or take your foot off the accelerator, the kinetic energy is captured and fed to the battery. This reduces the amount of power the battery takes from the engine and hence lowers fuel consumption. When the driver presses the accelerator, on the other hand, the alternator is decoupled from the drivetrain. With fewer components drawing power from the drivetrain, more of the engine's output can go into accelerating the car.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2018, 02:59 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Brake regeneration does give the impression we may be harvesting more 'waste' energy than we really do.

It is more an intelligent alternator strategy, specifically designed to use peak charging when on the over-run and braking. Over-run being the key to switching to maximum charging. We don't need to brake for this specific charge cycle to function. It's a reason why the energy management doesn't fully charge the battery at all times, leaves around 20% capacity for the over-run charging.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2018, 02:47 AM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Brake regeneration does give the impression we may be harvesting more 'waste' energy than we really do.

It is more an intelligent alternator strategy, specifically designed to use peak charging when on the over-run and braking. Over-run being the key to switching to maximum charging. We don't need to brake for this specific charge cycle to function. It's a reason why the energy management doesn't fully charge the battery at all times, leaves around 20% capacity for the over-run charging.
Pete has it in one, good answer.
      07-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
bpbaud
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i

What is over-run?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbaud View Post
What is over-run?
When you completely lift off the accelerator, without braking. As simple as that.

To get the maximum benefit of ‘harvesting’ energy, ensure you lift off completely, may mean a slight change in driving style.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
bpbaud
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
When you completely lift off the accelerator, without braking. As simple as that.

To get the maximum benefit of ‘harvesting’ energy, ensure you lift off completely, may mean a slight change in driving style.
Thanks
Appreciate 0