Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Looking for new car: Wait for the G20 or get an F30?

08-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

Looking for new car: Wait for the G20 or get an F30?

Hello all, new to the forum.

For the past ten years I've been driving a prius due to a long commute that I no longer have to make, so now that I live closer to work and my prius is starting to fail in small ways, I've been day dreaming about getting a bimmer. Before that I drove a used lexus and I miss driving a car that actually feels connected to the road.

Was about to lease a black 320i this week before reading the 2019 model is going to be redesigned. Hard pressed to think waiting is a bad idea, but any tips or advice from seasoned bmw owners is what I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

This is a waste of a thread, of course you wait. Have you seen the new all digital dashboard? Have you heard that the '19 is going to have a sportier, lower suspension unlike the current 3 series? Its going to be out in a few months. Come on dude this is a good joke tho.

Last edited by ThatKrazyPolak; 08-25-2018 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

you can wait till the G20 comes out and then buy an F30 for a song, 'cause ain't no one going to want them!
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      08-26-2018, 03:10 AM   #4
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If you are going to get the automatic transmission, you definitely wait.

The F30 has been a disappointing BMW 3 series if you value handling and driving dynamics. While people who bought 2017 and 2018 models try to say that they made huge improvements in later models, they didn't. The changes have been minor at best.

Unless you need the manual, wait for the G20. It should be miles better than the F30. At the very least, there will be a new very different body style that will make the F30 look old.

The only other thing is if price is a big consideration. I see you said you were thinking of leasing a 320i. You will not likely find a lease even close to the price you were going to get for the 320i on the newer car. Be honest, if handling is not a top priority and the price is very important, you might have to go with the F30.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #5
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
If you are going to get the automatic transmission, you definitely wait.

The F30 has been a disappointing BMW 3 series if you value handling and driving dynamics. While people who bought 2017 and 2018 models try to say that they made huge improvements in later models, they didn't. The changes have been minor at best.

Unless you need the manual, wait for the G20. It should be miles better than the F30. At the very least, there will be a new very different body style that will make the F30 look old.

The only other thing is if price is a big consideration. I see you said you were thinking of leasing a 320i. You will not likely find a lease even close to the price you were going to get for the 320i on the newer car. Be honest, if handling is not a top priority and the price is very important, you might have to go with the F30.
Thank you for the response.

I am looking for automatic so that's the good news. While they've done a good job of hiding the exterior with the zebra print, I can tell I like the new body a lot.

Price is somewhat important, I could probably do 40,000 out the gate cash, the lease was just to give me some breathing room for owning* my first new luxury car.

How much do you think the lease will run for the G20's? While price is important handling is too, otherwise I could be looking at other cars. I've always loved the way BMW's drove.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKrazyPolak View Post
This is a waste of a thread, of course you wait. Have you seen the new all digital dashboard? Have you heard that the '19 is going to have a sportier, lower suspension unlike the current 3 series? Its going to be out in a few months. Come on dude this is a good joke tho.
The suspension on the f30 is already low if your RWD.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #7
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Insiders have shared the 320 will likely not be bound for the us, at least as far as the horizon they can see but possibly at all. So if price point is your most important point you may not want to wait
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Insiders have shared the 320 will likely not be bound for the us, at least as far as the horizon they can see but possibly at all. So if price point is your most important point you may not want to wait
This is super helpful actually, I don't think I could afford above a 320, and I also don't want a 3 cylinder car either (pardon my ignorance, I'm still learning) a 2018 320i might actually be the best for me if this is all true.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep

A dealer in LA said they were expecting 2019 320i's so I don't know what to make of that?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #10
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Skipped the f30 going for the G20.
Appreciate 1
cdgatti253.50
      08-26-2018, 11:29 PM   #11
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennuggets View Post
Thank you for the response.

I am looking for automatic so that's the good news. While they've done a good job of hiding the exterior with the zebra print, I can tell I like the new body a lot.

Price is somewhat important, I could probably do 40,000 out the gate cash, the lease was just to give me some breathing room for owning* my first new luxury car.

How much do you think the lease will run for the G20's? While price is important handling is too, otherwise I could be looking at other cars. I've always loved the way BMW's drove.
I couldn't say how much they're going for, I just know the lease deals on the BMW 3 series right now are very good since they're on their last leg.

When the G20 is first released, I doubt you'll see very many deals on them.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 12:30 AM   #12
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
This is super helpful actually, I don't think I could afford above a 320, and I also don't want a 3 cylinder car either (pardon my ignorance, I'm still learning) a 2018 320i might actually be the best for me if this is all true.
I think you'll be good with a 320i. Coming from a Prius the handling, despite not being the best compared to other 3ers, is still an improvement from your Toyota, and the 7 second 0-60, while slower compared to other 3ers, is again 3 seconds less than your Prius, and I've seen many reports of owners able to get high 30s and even low 40s mpg out of their 320, so it won't be too big of a departure from your Prius. Hell, if you don't mind buying used, you could easily save a shit ton of cash on buying a used 320i (especially since german cars depreciate heavily unlike your Toyota) and if need be, spend some cash on an extended warranty (if your scared of reliability), and still have extra cash leftover, and if the 320i isn't enough for you, there's also the idea of a 328/330i (new or used). I think you will be fine with a F30, as it will be an upgrade from your Prius no matter what.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 01:22 AM   #13
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I couldn't say how much they're going for, I just know the lease deals on the BMW 3 series right now are very good since they're on their last leg.

When the G20 is first released, I doubt you'll see very many deals on them.
Interesting, I think I'll look into it this week. Did the math, can afford the 320i on a lease right now comfortably, an increase in price is doable but more restrictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I think you'll be good with a 320i. Coming from a Prius the handling, despite not being the best compared to other 3ers, is still an improvement from your Toyota, and the 7 second 0-60, while slower compared to other 3ers, is again 3 seconds less than your Prius, and I've seen many reports of owners able to get high 30s and even low 40s mpg out of their 320, so it won't be too big of a departure from your Prius. Hell, if you don't mind buying used, you could easily save a shit ton of cash on buying a used 320i (especially since german cars depreciate heavily unlike your Toyota) and if need be, spend some cash on an extended warranty (if your scared of reliability), and still have extra cash leftover, and if the 320i isn't enough for you, there's also the idea of a 328/330i (new or used). I think you will be fine with a F30, as it will be an upgrade from your Prius no matter what.
Great information, thank you. Good mileage! How old/ how many miles would you say would be good to look for used? Not opposed to the idea, but I am scared of reliability compared to a new one (3 yer warranty new, correct?)

I'm very excited to join the bimmer club, it's just a very weird time to jump in with the G20 around the corner (maybe a good time)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 02:23 AM   #14
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Great information, thank you. Good mileage! How old/ how many miles would you say would be good to look for used? Not opposed to the idea, but I am scared of reliability compared to a new one (3 yer warranty new, correct?)

I'm very excited to join the bimmer club, it's just a very weird time to jump in with the G20 around the corner (maybe a good time)
Honestly, anything with over 5k miles will be saving you money since these cars depreciate heavily. I haven't bought a used car in a while, but if I were searching I would try to stay anywhere under 20k miles depending on how old the car is. (the newer the car, the less miles it should have in my opinion when buying). A quick search on cars.com has shown me that 320i's with about 10k miles or less are selling around ~$20k (lightly optioned/strippers) to ~$30k (heavily optioned), and 320i's with 20k miles are selling for around ~$20k (heavily optioned). I believe BMW has once again changed their warranty system to 50k miles/4 or 3 years (not too sure), so a car with 20k miles or less gives you 30k (or more) left on the warranty with enough time to decide if an extended warranty is what you want, but it all depends on your financial situation/want for extra protection.

Also one option is to try searching for cars at Carmax. I've seen a ton of used 320i's at my local Carmax, and after watching Doug Demuro's Carmax warranty video on his Land Rover (long story short he got a bumper to bumper for 60k miles/6years, and its covered over $13k in repairs, with the original cost being around $3.5K) it seems like Carmax could be a great place to find a car. The only downside is no haggling, but their prices didn't seem horrible, and I believe if you don't like the car within the first week it is returnable.

Otherwise, I highly recommend buying used cars, let someone else take the depreciation, and enjoy the fact that your wallet has extra cash in it. Your not losing much by buying a used car. The only reason in my opinion to buy a new car, is if you need a specific car with specific options at a specific time, which is why my 540i is my only car I've bought new.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 04:35 AM   #15
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

they aren't going to bring the 320i over at least initially if at all. If you are going to buy a 320i though just pick up a used one with the sport pack. Feels great, and cars with not too many miles are in the 15-16k range. Or get a CPO.

if they bring the 320i G20 over eventaully or you change your mind later and pick a faster one, you can always just sell it. Or you could just lease a 320i sport new and delay your decision. All of these are going to be much better than a prius to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #16
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Honestly, anything with over 5k miles will be saving you money since these cars depreciate heavily. I haven't bought a used car in a while, but if I were searching I would try to stay anywhere under 20k miles depending on how old the car is. (the newer the car, the less miles it should have in my opinion when buying). A quick search on cars.com has shown me that 320i's with about 10k miles or less are selling around ~$20k (lightly optioned/strippers) to ~$30k (heavily optioned), and 320i's with 20k miles are selling for around ~$20k (heavily optioned). I believe BMW has once again changed their warranty system to 50k miles/4 or 3 years (not too sure), so a car with 20k miles or less gives you 30k (or more) left on the warranty with enough time to decide if an extended warranty is what you want, but it all depends on your financial situation/want for extra protection.

Also one option is to try searching for cars at Carmax. I've seen a ton of used 320i's at my local Carmax, and after watching Doug Demuro's Carmax warranty video on his Land Rover (long story short he got a bumper to bumper for 60k miles/6years, and its covered over $13k in repairs, with the original cost being around $3.5K) it seems like Carmax could be a great place to find a car. The only downside is no haggling, but their prices didn't seem horrible, and I believe if you don't like the car within the first week it is returnable.

Otherwise, I highly recommend buying used cars, let someone else take the depreciation, and enjoy the fact that your wallet has extra cash in it. Your not losing much by buying a used car. The only reason in my opinion to buy a new car, is if you need a specific car with specific options at a specific time, which is why my 540i is my only car I've bought new.
Again, thanks for the great information. I will look into used ones, though the less committal relationship of a lease sounds appealing to someone like me. Most the used one's at my dealership were over 20k miles, or way under and barely cheaper than a new one though.

I'll check out carmax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
they aren't going to bring the 320i over at least initially if at all. If you are going to buy a 320i though just pick up a used one with the sport pack. Feels great, and cars with not too many miles are in the 15-16k range. Or get a CPO.

if they bring the 320i G20 over eventaully or you change your mind later and pick a faster one, you can always just sell it. Or you could just lease a 320i sport new and delay your decision. All of these are going to be much better than a prius to drive.
Very interesting, may be the route I end up taking.

I appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #17
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

I'd rather get a manual GTI than a 320 just sayin
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #18
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
I'd rather get a manual GTI than a 320 just sayin
That makes one of us, given I don’t know how to drive manual
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #19
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
That makes one of us, given I don’t know how to drive manual
The GTI comes with an excellent DSG automatic.

It's a great driving FWD, and gets quite good MPG, along with surprising space and comfort. On top of that the build quality and materials are excellent. It's a very highly rated automobile in general.
And for anyone wanting to get into a German feeling automobile, the GTI is a great choice.

Wow, that reads like an ad.

No, I don't sell cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #20
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The GTI comes with an excellent DSG automatic.

It's a great driving FWD, and gets quite good MPG, along with surprising space and comfort. On top of that the build quality and materials are excellent. It's a very highly rated automobile in general.
And for anyone wanting to get into a German feeling automobile, the GTI is a great choice.

Wow, that reads like an ad.

No, I don't sell cars.
I'll be honest I don't love the way it looks, especially since I've been driving a hatchback for the past decade. But I'll keep an open mind and look into it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #21
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Kia Stinger GT is good bang for the buck. 360 hp, AWD, looks ok. Probably same price as a mildly loaded 340
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #22
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Kia Stinger GT is good bang for the buck. 360 hp, AWD, looks ok. Probably same price as a mildly loaded 340
I liked the Kia when I drove it, its a nice car, but some things annoyed me. Coming from a long line of manuals, if I'm going to drive an automatic, I want a true manual mode, that won't automatically upshift at will. I fidled with the car and its paddles for hours just to find out that there is no true manual mode at all. Also the Stinger is too big compared to the 3 series. Now I don't find it too large after owning a 5er, but for someone looking for a compact car, the genesis fits that size way better than the stinger does, pretty sure the stinger is a few small inches shorter and wider than a 5er.
Appreciate 0