BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Office Birthday Cards

08-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Office Birthday Cards

So the owner of the company has a birthday coming up....yup here comes the card. Alright whats the weirdest thing to put down without offending...

"We only met once but shared a lifetime of love. Happy Birthday Beautiful"

I guess it'd be even weirder if if it wasn't a guy....

Is this normal? Office birthday cards...why not a day off? I'd rather have a day off than a card lol.

All joking put aside and brought up at the same time....

whats the goofy things you like to put down on these things?

Last edited by Yapakanichi; 08-30-2018 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
wrickem2115.50
      08-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Kind of critical point here, but which company? The old one, or the new job opportunity.

Response varies. Ya know?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Oh right sorry, still at the old one till next Friday.

New job starts the 10th
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
Oh right sorry, still at the old one till next Friday.

New job starts the 10th
If you're only there until next Friday, might as well make it count
Appreciate 5
Joekerr7939.00
King Rudi13157.00
DETRoadster11469.50
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
If you're only there until next Friday, might as well make it count
Yup, I'm with her. Go nuts. Whatever you want. Make it count, make people remember it.

Not that it is the same thing at all, but a senior manager left the firm I was working at when I was still a very junior accountant. In his departure email that he sent to the entire group, he told the Mexican Fisherman story (which I hadn't heard of before).

To this day I still remember it, and it is still one of the best departure emails I've seen. Really made me think. I eventually became senior manager there and wound up leaving as well, but I wasn't going to bite his style...but that story had a decent part of why I left.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15806.50
      08-30-2018, 01:47 PM   #6
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Get him an oversized greeting card.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I actually received a very cool one this year. Small building, and 4 people each did their caricature of me, in photo, and put on 4 corners of the page.

Watering my plants, wearing my wooden tiger skull (actually kinda creepy)

passed out at the lunch table with my kindle open

hunched at my desk with my hoodie pulled low and jar of PB/spoon

dropping my work cell in the toilet.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Something I've always done is get one of those specific occasion cards for the wrong occasion. I got this from my dad. He used to try to get all mushy with cards for birthdays and try to pull a tear out of you. When he got older, sometimes he would forget to bring his reading glasses into the Hallmark store and would buy cards based off what they looked like. We got a card every year for birthday and Christmas. The last few years I got cards with "So proud of you daughter", "On our wedding anniversary", etc. he never bothered to look and just signed them Love, Your Dad. It got to where it was hilarious and we never mentioned it to him. He died on the day we were supposed to celebrate Christmas at his house. After the initial shock wore off a few days later, my sister and I opened our Christmas cards and both of us busted out in hysteric laughter as we read our cards made out to "My Darling Husband" for her and "To My Beautiful Granddaughter" to me.

I still do this to people just to watch their reaction as they don't know if it's a joke or if I'm an idiot. I usually sign them with something to the effect of "Fuck Off", "Kiss my ass", etc.
Appreciate 3
Sea-Tac1455.00
kscarrol8948.00
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Yup, I'm with her. Go nuts. Whatever you want. Make it count, make people remember it.

He knows I'm a she !

Carry on.
Appreciate 3
Joekerr7939.00
King Rudi13157.00
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #10
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
He knows I'm a she !

Carry on.
Correction - I know what you say you are.

Now would I ever assume someone's gender? Triggered.

There isn't too much that I miss in OT. All the other subforums, I completely ignore.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13157.00
      08-30-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
He knows I'm a she !

Carry on.
Points to Joekerr
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 04:36 PM   #12
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

he is a she? she's a he? he's a she-he?

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #13
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Correction - I know what you say you are.

Now would I ever assume someone's gender? Triggered.

There isn't too much that I miss in OT. All the other subforums, I completely ignore.
I don’t mention it much so I’m surprised someone actually caught it.

Hijack over. You will now return to regular scheduled program.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:17 PM   #14
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
I don’t mention it much so I’m surprised someone actually caught it.

Hijack over. You will now return to regular scheduled program.
are those real?

GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:25 PM   #15
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
he is a she? she's a he? he's a she-he?

Sounds like something Alex Jones would be into...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #16
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Something I've always done is get one of those specific occasion cards for the wrong occasion. I got this from my dad. He used to try to get all mushy with cards for birthdays and try to pull a tear out of you. When he got older, sometimes he would forget to bring his reading glasses into the Hallmark store and would buy cards based off what they looked like. We got a card every year for birthday and Christmas. The last few years I got cards with "So proud of you daughter", "On our wedding anniversary", etc. he never bothered to look and just signed them Love, Your Dad. It got to where it was hilarious and we never mentioned it to him. He died on the day we were supposed to celebrate Christmas at his house. After the initial shock wore off a few days later, my sister and I opened our Christmas cards and both of us busted out in hysteric laughter as we read our cards made out to "My Darling Husband" for her and "To My Beautiful Granddaughter" to me.

I still do this to people just to watch their reaction as they don't know if it's a joke or if I'm an idiot. I usually sign them with something to the effect of "Fuck Off", "Kiss my ass", etc.

Cards are such a boring waste of time and money. I never pay attention to them. Never. Whenever anyone would get sick some clerk would stop at the local Target and pick up a get well card. This went on for two or three years, 3 or 4 a year...I would always sign something original like "...hope you feel better...get well soon...". One day someone died...I didn't know the person but a sympathy card was circulated. Yep...I signed "...hope you fell better...get well soon...". No one caught it except the family of the deceased and thought it was a sick joke...profuse apologies ensued and I deservedly wore egg on my face for a few weeks.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13157.00
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-30-2018, 08:17 PM   #17
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post

Cards are such a boring waste of time and money. I never pay attention to them. Never. Whenever anyone would get sick some clerk would stop at the local Target and pick up a get well card. This went on for two or three years, 3 or 4 a year...I would always sign something original like "...hope you fell better...get well soon...". One day we got word that someone died...I didn't know the person but a sympathy card was circulated. Yep...I signed "...hope you fell better...get well soon...". No one caught it except the family of the deceased and thought it was a sick joke...profuse apologies ensued and I deservedly wore egg on my face for a few weeks.
YES!!!!......er, I mean that's terrible. :
Appreciate 3
UncleWede18138.00
Sea-Tac1455.00
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #18
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post

Cards are such a boring waste of time and money. I never pay attention to them. Never. Whenever anyone would get sick some clerk would stop at the local Target and pick up a get well card. This went on for two or three years, 3 or 4 a year...I would always sign something original like "...hope you feel better...get well soon...". One day someone died...I didn't know the person but a sympathy card was circulated. Yep...I signed "...hope you fell better...get well soon...". No one caught it except the family of the deceased and thought it was a sick joke...profuse apologies ensued and I deservedly wore egg on my face for a few weeks.
Dude, thanks for coming clean on that one. We all do stuff like that.
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1455.00
      08-31-2018, 07:33 AM   #19
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Always hate the office card bs. I just sign my name & move on. It's so dumb & there's no thought or anything remotely close to worthwhile behind it.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #20
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
....Not that it is the same thing at all, but a senior manager left the firm I was working at when I was still a very junior accountant. In his departure email that he sent to the entire group, he told the Mexican Fisherman story (which I hadn't heard of before).

To this day I still remember it, and it is still one of the best departure emails I've seen. Really made me think. I eventually became senior manager there and wound up leaving as well, but I wasn't going to bite his style...but that story had a decent part of why I left.
Hadn't heard this before, but it is a great exemplum. And it comes at perfect time, as I'm weighing that 'should I stay or should I go' thing with the current job.

And in general to the OP, thanks for the idea of pranking these cards - I gotta get s/t in mind for the next B'day or baby shower card that comes along.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 07:43 AM   #21
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

I never sign office cards and throw them away if I get one.

Totally meaningless.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-31-2018, 08:12 AM   #22
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Say you enjoyed him sharing his wife with you over the years
Appreciate 2
Maynard3860.00