BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Custom X Pipe vs Secondary Cat Bypass

09-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
jmorgan911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991 Turbo, F90 M5, Range Rover

Custom X Pipe vs Secondary Cat Bypass

Can anyone explain the difference between removing the resonator and replacing it with a Xpipe vs removing the secondary cats and putting in bypass pipes?

Sound difference? Power difference? Cost difference?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorgan911 View Post
Can anyone explain the difference between removing the resonator and replacing it with a Xpipe vs removing the secondary cats and putting in bypass pipes?

Tough question. Best guess is removing the resonator and going to an x pipe will have the best sound improvement. HP gain will be zero. That should be cheaper than removing the secondary cats because access is a beeeooootch. You'll gain some power by removing the secondary cats, but it will be less than you think since the primaries are still there.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
johnm550
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Convertibl

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:

Tough question. Best guess is removing the resonator and going to an x pipe will have the best sound improvement. HP gain will be zero. That should be cheaper than removing the secondary cats because access is a beeeooootch. You'll gain some power by removing the secondary cats, but it will be less than you think since the primaries are still there.
I'm having an x-pipe made on Thursday. I'll keep everyone posted.
2022 M8 Comp Conv (Waiting)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

I'm still very interested in doing a custom X-pipe as well, just to see how much difference it would make. Please do keep us updated.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2018, 10:42 PM   #5
rygre
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I like my xpipe and 2ndary deletes
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
johnm550
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm550 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:

I'm having an x-pipe made on Thursday. I'll keep everyone posted.
Unable to load a video. Sounds good, much louder when reviving, more cracks. Still quiet enough when normal driving. No WOT still in break in, expect it to be much louder under WOT. Looking for carbon fiber tips and better microphone to record. iPhone cuts out because too loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #7
jmorgan911
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Unable to load a video. Sounds good, much louder when reviving, more cracks. Still quiet enough when normal driving. No WOT still in break in, expect it to be much louder under WOT. Looking for carbon fiber tips and better microphone to record. iPhone cuts out because too loud.
Did you try uploading to youtube and linking here?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
jmorgan911
Private First Class
Rep

Another question:

Whats the difference between an X pipe and H pipe? A local shop said he can make an H pipe, I'm guessing that means he doesn't have a Mandel bender and will use two straight pipes with a pipe connecting the two. Wish some aftermarket company just made a good X pipe
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
johnm550
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you try uploading to youtube and linking here?

It sounds so much better in person!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
johnm550
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
I'm still very interested in doing a custom X-pipe as well, just to see how much difference it would make. Please do keep us updated.
After driving it for a few days under normal driving conditions with valves open it is too quiet for me. May need to do secondary cat delete. Definitely a nice improvement and significantly louder when revving. For $300 - $500 it's a no brainer. Definitely needs new exhaust tips.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #11
RedBullM5
Rep
Drives: bmw m5

Quote:
After driving it for a few days under normal driving conditions with valves open it is too quiet for me. May need to do secondary cat delete. Definitely a nice improvement and significantly louder when revving. For $300 - $500 it's a no brainer. Definitely needs new exhaust tips.
I know this is an old thread, just curious if you ever went ahead and also removed the secondary cats? If so was it a noticeable difference?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:14 AM   #12
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullM5 View Post
Quote:
I know this is an old thread, just curious if you ever went ahead and also removed the secondary cats? If so was it a noticeable difference?

I just did resonator delete with straight pipes. Love the sound but would love to hear 2nd cats deleted as well.
Attached Images

2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #13
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My next game plan.

Delete the middle muffler section as it is hollow per another post and instead on doing a straight pipe to join both muffler cap it where the pipe will be cut kinda like Remus and let's see how it sounds. Hopefully will get it done this week. Also getting a narrow x pipe as 90% of exhaust for f90 are x. Will try n see how that goes with this set up. I had a magnaflo pipe but that was huge in the middle kinda like a box and I didn't like the sounds it was too mellow. If anyone want to buy a magna flo X let me know. Thx
Attached Images

2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #14
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Any progress?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:17 PM   #15
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdbmw View Post
Any progress?
I don't know if u were asking OP or me but my progress is this for now.

Removed the center balance pipe connecting the 2 mufflers and capped the muffler hole. Car sounded more aggressive and meaner.

But as usual it wasn't enough and after watching the dinan X pipe the game plan has somewhat changed.

Ordered today:

Dinan X Pipe
EVO RWs Secondary Cats

Probably will keep the current muffler setup unless end up making a deal on used AWE track exhaust posted for sale currently. If the deal happens great if it doesn't then will be happy with above plan regardless.
Attached Images

2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 1
GranitM5366.00
      06-19-2020, 10:21 PM   #16
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX View Post
Quote:
Any progress?

Removed the center balance pipe connecting the 2 mufflers and capped the muffler hole. Car sounded more aggressive and meaner.

But as usual it wasn't enough and after watching the dinan X pipe the game plan has somewhat changed.

Ordered today:

Dinan X Pipe
EVO RWs Secondary Cats

Probably will keep the current muffler setup unless end up making a deal on used AWE track exhaust posted for sale currently. If the deal happens great if it doesn't then will be happy with above plan regardless.
Try this out first. See how you like it and if there is any drone. If you feel it's not enough then get the exhaust.

On my old C63, I removed the resonator first and replaced with a straight pipe. Wasn't enough so I removed the secondary cats and replaced with straight pipe. Still wasn't enough so I went with Catless Long Tube Headers. Then it was finally enough lol. Only thing left to do was removed muffler but that would have caused drone on that car.
Appreciate 2
GTATX1104.00
F90nyc0.00
      06-19-2020, 10:24 PM   #17
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitM5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Any progress?

Ordered today:

Dinan X Pipe
EVO RWs Secondary Cats

Try this out first. See how you like it and if there is any drone. If you feel it's not enough then get the exhaust.

On my old C63, I removed the resonator first and replaced with a straight pipe. Wasn't enough so I removed the secondary cats and replaced with straight pipe. Still wasn't enough so I went with Catless Long Tube Headers. Then it was finally enough lol. Only thing left to do was removed muffler but that would have caused drone on that car.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with these planned mods lol. The petrol head is embedded in a lot us lol and the car project is always evolving.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 04:48 AM   #18
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I was asking you hahah

After my break in service I'm planning to either remove the resonator and replace it with an x-pipe, or go full catless and keep the resonator.

I've also been thinking about getting a "proper" exhaust system like Eisenmann race, akrapovic, Fi... but I never heard them in person, so I'm really not sure wether a 3000$ exhaust will sound drastically better than a stock exhaust with downpipes and x-pipe..

My goal is to bring out that deep V8 rumble, so if anybody has suggestions or tips for me I'm all ears
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #19
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was asking you hahah

After my break in service I'm planning to either remove the resonator and replace it with an x-pipe, or go full catless and keep the resonator.

I've also been thinking about getting a "proper" exhaust system like Eisenmann race, akrapovic, Fi... but I never heard them in person, so I'm really not sure wether a 3000$ exhaust will sound drastically better than a stock exhaust with downpipes and x-pipe..

My goal is to bring out that deep V8 rumble, so if anybody has suggestions or tips for me I'm all ears
Just do these 3 things n guaranty you that u won't be disappointed.

Replace Mid pipe with straight pipes

Go cat-less secondary

delete the center pipe with balance tube in between muffler and cap the mufflers. There shouldn't be anything connecting both mufflers to each other.
(similar to Remus)

Cheapest way to go and sound is not any less than an expensive exhaust system.
Attached Images

2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #20
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

I am running secondary ER lowers, Dinan resonator delete, and a GThaus SGT rear section with valve control.

Link to videos of cold start and revs with and without pops/bangs, valves open throughout the video.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cUyJGabS76IMdQ
Appreciate 1
GTATX1104.00
      06-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #21
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was asking you hahah

ER secondaries won't clamp to primary. Tried hours still no use. Requested the company to do refund and return. Will figure some new route tomorrow.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 01:47 AM   #22
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
ER secondaries won't clamp to primary. Tried hours still no use. Requested the company to do refund and return. Will figure some new route tomorrow.
Gintani had a similar issue installing my ER secondary's, they had to loosen up the primaries and then they managed to get them to fit after 8 hours. Then there was an issue with the ER pipes mating to the exhaust pipes they were a little too long and went past the flange on the stock pipes causing a small leak. I had to go to a different muffler shop to push the exhaust out towards the back of the car an 1/8" or so and clamp the secondaries down and finally they fit without leaking. ER is a crap company as i brought all this up to them and they told me they would call me back with a solution but never did. I figured i was the only one that had an issue as others have installed without issues but now you're the second one. I personally will never buy anything from ER again but in the end these pipes will fit you just have to install from the top down removing the stock primaries first.
Appreciate 1
GTATX1104.00