Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i vs 330i Msport

10-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: not sure..

M340i vs 330i Msport

My lease is up this coming March and I have been patiently awaiting the release of the m340i as it would be ideal for me (great power and handling, and awd) but at a decent price point for me. Since the reveal I'm definitely a little disappointed in the front of the m340i (looks overly done) but I do like the look of the front of the msport though as it is a bit Tamer.. so I'd like to know the real differences between the both besides the obv hp/engine. Will both models have the same colors available? How about handling? Interior options? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Rschin2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerlover13 View Post
Since the reveal I'm definitely a little disappointed in the front of the m340i (looks overly done) but I do like the look of the front of the msport though as it is a bit Tamer.. !
I'm confused here
      10-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschin2 View Post
I'm confused here
Basically I wanna l wanna know if I decide to go with the 330i msport what will I be losing out on besides the obv engine.. do they both have the same color options?same interior options? Same handling? I just don't like the front of the m340i but like the front of the msport, what will I be losing out on if I decide to do the msport Instead...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
Ouhei
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Civic Type R

Quote:
Basically I wanna l wanna know if I decide to go with the 330i msport what will I be losing out on besides the obv engine.. do they both have the same color options?same interior options? Same handling? I just don't like the front of the m340i but like the front of the msport, what will I be losing out on if I decide to do the msport Instead...
I think he's confused because the fronts are basically the same, aside from the different grill and small change in vent design they're identical.

No one knows the full differences at this point, but from what I can tell it's going to be a difference of: Motor (duh), front grill, front bumper vents, wheels, mirror cap color, exhaust tip design, interior trim color, and some badging. So you're mostly missing out on the motor between the two.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouhei View Post
I think he's confused because the fronts are basically the same, aside from the different grill and small change in vent design they're identical.

No one knows the full differences at this point, but from what I can tell it's going to be a difference of: Motor (duh), front grill, front bumper vents, wheels, mirror cap color, exhaust tip design, interior trim color, and some badging. So you're mostly missing out on the motor between the two.
Thank you! That's basically what I wanted to know, it also seems like the m340i eliminates the fog lights also.. I guess it's the vents to the outside of the corner air dam on the m340i that is throwing me off with the bumper..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

seems like the differences are... the m340i has that grill. open bottom without the camera thing for radar cruise, no fog lights, and a bunch of cerium gray items , such as the grill and the mirror caps over and m sport. also if you read the spec sheet on the other thread, it has the LSD standard, where its an option on the m-sport. Oh and the trapezoid tailpipes.

I am looking at this same choice, and that grill is bothering me so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
Rschin2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouhei View Post

Ah, actually I just realized I misread the title. I thought he said M340i vs 340i Msport (instead of 330i Msport). I see what you're asking now.
The only thing I dislike about the M340 is the damn grill. Please tell me it's just optional!
      10-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
seems like the differences are... the m340i has that grill. open bottom without the camera thing for radar cruise, no fog lights, and a bunch of cerium gray items , such as the grill and the mirror caps over and m sport. also if you read the spec sheet on the other thread, it has the LSD standard, where its an option on the m-sport. Oh and the trapezoid tailpipes.

I am looking at this same choice, and that grill is bothering me so much.
I like that the m340i has all the goodies, and is like a baby "m" but those tailpipes belong on the 7 series.. they don't look sporty at all, I also wish they made the round ones a bit larger, they remind me of the Audi's tailpipes.. I do like the fogs and the subtle difference on the msport.. this is gonna be an agonizing decision lol. I also love the nardone grey, wish that was an option!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
I like that the m340i has all the goodies, and is like a baby "m" but those tailpipes belong on the 7 series.. they don't look sporty at all, I also wish they made the round ones a bit larger, they remind me of the Audi's tailpipes.. I do like the fogs and the subtle difference on the msport.. this is gonna be an agonizing decision lol. I also love the nardone grey, wish that was an option!
yeah well same really. I have owned basically all 4 cylinder cars in my life (5 of them) except a v6 infiniti I owned for a year so I really want the 340i just to have had an inline -6 . But I don't care all that much about "look fast" stuff like that grill etc. I don't really mind the tailpipes, but I guess they had to do something to set them apart from the 330i now that the 330i has a pipe on each side (audi for example... A4 2 pipes on left only in b8 generation. s4 quad pipes, RS4 dual oval pipes... b9 A4, dual pipes, b9 s4 quad pipes, rs4 quad) . so its obvious which model you have. I remember lexus owners complaining that IS350 didn't look different than IS250 at all so i'm guessing market research says that people who get the big engine need the visual differentiation to justify the money they spent.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e CB M Sport

Wouldn't it be great if the M340i gets quad pipes? I do agree the square pipes don't fit the character of the car...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #11
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
yeah well same really. I have owned basically all 4 cylinder cars in my life (5 of them) except a v6 infiniti I owned for a year so I really want the 340i just to have had an inline -6 . But I don't care all that much about "look fast" stuff like that grill etc. I don't really mind the tailpipes, but I guess they had to do something to set them apart from the 330i now that the 330i has a pipe on each side (audi for example... A4 2 pipes on left only in b8 generation. s4 quad pipes, RS4 dual oval pipes... b9 A4, dual pipes, b9 s4 quad pipes, rs4 quad) . so its obvious which model you have. I remember lexus owners complaining that IS350 didn't look different than IS250 at all so i'm guessing market research says that people who get the big engine need the visual differentiation to justify the money they spent.
I totally get that they need to differentiate between models, but quad would've been more fitting since it's the closest thing to an actual "m". I'm not gonna hit get it because of the tailpipes though lol.. it does seem color wise it will share the same with the 330i.. I did hear the exhaust in a video from a 330i msport and it sounded very similar to the x3 m40i. I'm looking forward to the configurator!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #12
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalien34 View Post
Wouldn't it be great if the M340i gets quad pipes? I do agree the square pipes don't fit the character of the car...
With the sound of the exhaust that I heard from the 330i, a quad would have been a perfect setup for it! Just think the tips belong on a luxury build not a sport build..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #13
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
With the sound of the exhaust that I heard from the 330i, a quad would have been a perfect setup for it! Just think the tips belong on a luxury build not a sport build..
Here the link to the exhaust sound! It starts at 21:44
https://youtu.be/RL06bxa379Y
Appreciate 0