M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Struggling to love the 8...

10-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Struggling to love the 8...

When the concept arrived, I was instantly in love - exterior and interior. But now that the "real thing" has arrived...

1. BMW watered down the exterior to the point where I'm not sure I even like it as much as the out-going 6 (I own a '17 650 GC). Gone are the really sleek styling points, and here are much more bulbous, rounded, and watered down lines.

2. I was hoping to hear about an 860 V12... but now we have news that NO such car will be made. The V12 was THE 8-series to have back in the day.

3. From playing with the configurator, there's a serious lack of colors - both exterior and interior options. When the out-going 6 series launched, it was much more configurable. You could literally have a brown leather dash with white trim - stuff that looked the part of a high-end, exclusive car that stood out. Everything I see here looks pretty generic BMW... and more limited than even lower models.

4. NO premium audio?? The B&O in my 650 is a world apart from the base Harmon stuff. I realize it probably wasn't a popular option given the nearly $4k price tag, but on a $100k+ car... are we seriously not offered an upgraded stereo?

So... as the title says, I'm struggling to love this new 8-series. It's a good looking car, but I'm not sure I even like the styling as much as the 6. I really do love the interior, but again... they limited it with such basic choices. And while the 8-series comes with some new gadgets, I need to give up good SOUND (which is something I use non-stop in the car)?

Disappointed.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

As Scott26 has reported, B&O audio will be available on the 8 soon.
Appreciate 1
Ciber91.50
      10-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
As Scott26 has reported, B&O audio will be available on the 8 soon.
Maybe B&W.
For sure the range of exterior colours and leathers will increase.
M850i is much more interesting than the "regular" 650i was.
One of the 8 series rivals is the S Coupe, I don't think BMW will not treat it like a flagship!
Appreciate 0