BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-11-2018, 12:34 AM   #1
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

confused about the drivers assistance package

In double checking my order i see on the order guide most recent update zdb and zdy are deleted items and i dont see a replacement. also i see active cruise control as an option 5df as an option. my order does not list 5df.
Am i just having a brain fart or has something changed on the order guide that i am missing.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 05:46 AM   #2
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
In double checking my order i see on the order guide most recent update zdb and zdy are deleted items and i dont see a replacement. also i see active cruise control as an option 5df as an option. my order does not list 5df.
Am i just having a brain fart or has something changed on the order guide that i am missing.
I do not see that ZDB or ZDY were deleted in the 9/18 guide (your observation).

I also do not see that the note describing the Driving Assistance Plus Package changed from the 7/3 guide to the 9/18 guide (as indicated in the 9/18 Change Notes).

5DF ACC is listed in both versions of the guide as a Priority 1 option with SOP 12/18, that can not be ordered with ZDB or ZDY. I believe that is because: 1) ZDB and ZDY include "ACC with Stop & Go," though that feature is not identified with its own code, and so; 2) buyers who want only ACC (and not the other features in ZDB/ZDY) can get it as standalone option 5DF.
      10-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

9/18/2018 Baxley As of 11/18 Production, wheel 1XD will be available for order, wheel 1XB has been released within ZMP - M Sport Package, and 3KA - Acoustic Glass has been released as a priority 1 option. 9/18/2018 Baxley Deleted Features: ZDB - Addl Info - Driving Assistance Plus Package includes ACC w/Stop & Go, Active Lane Keeping Assistant w/side collision avoidance, Steering & Traffic Jam Assistant, Automatic Lane Change, Evasion Aid & Cross-traffic alert front. (19XG, 19XJ) ZDY - Addl Info - Driving Assistance Plus Package includes ACC w/Stop & Go, Active Lane Keeping Assistant w/side collision avoidance, Steering & Traffic Jam Assistant, Automatic Lane Change, Evasion Aid & Cross-traffic alert front. (19XG, 19XJ) Deleted Rules: 1XB requires ordering ZCV (19XG) C1M cannot be ordered with 1XB (19XG, 19XJ) C1N cannot be ordered with 1XB (19XG, 19XJ

This is the second page on the order guide posted on the sticky above. didnt paste correctly but give you an idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
9/18/2018 Baxley As of 11/18 Production, wheel 1XD will be available for order, wheel 1XB has been released within ZMP - M Sport Package, and 3KA - Acoustic Glass has been released as a priority 1 option. 9/18/2018 Baxley Deleted Features: ZDB - Addl Info - Driving Assistance Plus Package includes ACC w/Stop & Go, Active Lane Keeping Assistant w/side collision avoidance, Steering & Traffic Jam Assistant, Automatic Lane Change, Evasion Aid & Cross-traffic alert front. (19XG, 19XJ) ZDY - Addl Info - Driving Assistance Plus Package includes ACC w/Stop & Go, Active Lane Keeping Assistant w/side collision avoidance, Steering & Traffic Jam Assistant, Automatic Lane Change, Evasion Aid & Cross-traffic alert front. (19XG, 19XJ) Deleted Rules: 1XB requires ordering ZCV (19XG) C1M cannot be ordered with 1XB (19XG, 19XJ) C1N cannot be ordered with 1XB (19XG, 19XJ

This is the second page on the order guide posted on the sticky above. didnt paste correctly but give you an idea.
I don't have ready access to the two guides at the moment, but when I did, I didn't notice any material difference between the 9/18 description of what's included in the Driving Assistance Plus Package and the 7/3 description.
      02-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #5
thomas_Rp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05; 535 F10

Quote:
Active Driving Assistant Pro
Innovative camera/radar-based driver assistance systems that provide partly-automated support will always be at your side to deliver peace of mind. Features include Steering and Traffic Jam Assist to reduce stress in traffic; Emergency Stop Assistant to bring the vehicle to a stop in case of a health emergency; and Evasion Assistant to assist in critical approach situations by reacting to vehicles and pedestrians in front of you.

Extended Traffic Jam Assistant for limited access highways
Extended Traffic Jam Assistant provides partially automated support on limited-access highways, as well as support for narrow road sections; Pulling on a lever, Emergency Stop Assistant brings the vehicle to a stop in case of a health emergency.

Active Cruise Control
Lets you preset both desired speed and following distance. When Active Cruise Control recognizes slower vehicles ahead, it reduces your speed to maintain the preset distance. Stop & Go can bring you to a complete stop if traffic calls for it. When you press the accelerator, the vehicle resumes your speed according to your presets.
A couple of questions while configuring a 40i, sorry if these are obvious:

Where is the automatic lane change assist feature?

What does the Extended Traffic Jam Assistant that is not already in ADAP give me? It helps with limited access highways?

If I have Active Driving Assistant Pro and Extended Traffic Jam Assistant for limited access highways, what added benefit does Active cruise control give me?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:28 PM   #6
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_Rp View Post

What does the Extended Traffic Jam Assistant that is not already in ADAP give me? It helps with limited access highways?

If I have Active Driving Assistant Pro and Extended Traffic Jam Assistant for limited access highways, what added benefit does Active cruise control give me?
I can't answer all of that, but I can tell you about the Extended Traffic Jam Assistant, since I used it yesterday. It operates at speeds below 37 MPH and basically is fully automated driving: start/stop/speed adjust and lane adjust. You have to touch steering wheel about every 15 seconds, from what I could tell. The indicator on HUD would go from green to yellow in about 15 secs and then red (meaning it's not operating, I presume) if you don't touch the steering wheel. I don't have a lot of stop/go on my commute, but this was pretty cool. You can adjust the following distance on the right side of steering column.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermato View Post
I can't answer all of that, but I can tell you about the Extended Traffic Jam Assistant, since I used it yesterday. It operates at speeds below 37 MPH and basically is fully automated driving: start/stop/speed adjust and lane adjust. You have to touch steering wheel about every 15 seconds, from what I could tell. The indicator on HUD would go from green to yellow in about 15 secs and then red (meaning it's not operating, I presume) if you don't touch the steering wheel. I don't have a lot of stop/go on my commute, but this was pretty cool. You can adjust the following distance on the right side of steering column.
What you are describing is not the Extended Traffic Jam Assist but rather the normal acc and lane keeping. The Extended TJA is only available under 37mph but it is totally hands and feet free on highways and in situations that allow it. I have not need able to try it but remember reading someplace that a different third icon for the driving assistance appears in the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_Rp View Post

There is a setting in Idrive to allow the automatic lane change, I believe it is set by default. Once that is checked then all you have to do is hold the turn signal stalk while the acc and LKA is on and it makes the lane change.

As mentioned above, the Extended allows for truly hands free under 37mph as long as conditions are right.

Active cruise is what is used most of the time, ETJA is only in certain, specific situations.

Edit: I said 37mph above since I believe I read that in some press article but in looking at the manual it says under 40mph.
Attached Images

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 02-02-2019 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #9
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
What you are describing is not the Extended Traffic Jam Assist but rather the normal acc and lane keeping. The Extended TJA is only available under 37mph but it is totally hands and feet free on highways and in situations that allow it. I have not need able to try it but remember reading someplace that a different third icon for the driving assistance appears in the instrument cluster.
Ahh, ok. I'm still learning, obviously! I've been through the manual, but there is a lot of new material for a new BMW owner.

I didn't realize that the "mode" button can be applied after engaging the Assisted Driving.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #10
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Ahh, ok. I'm still learning, obviously! I've been through the manual, but there is a lot of new material for a new BMW owner.

I didn't realize that the "mode" button can be applied after engaging the Assisted Driving.
I think we all are. This is my first BMW so it is all new to me also. Read the owners manual twice between when I ordered and when it was delivered and have been referring back to it quite often. There is a lot in there but thankfully it is presented pretty decently.

Good luck with yours.
Appreciate 2
beermato101.50
lumpydog690.50
      02-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #11
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

After these posts, I have been using the 'mode' button to try to engage the various functions. I have both Active Driving Assistance Pro and Extended Traffic Jam Assistance.

The mode button toggles between "Distance Control" and "Assisted Driving Mode" on the display panel. At one point, on a highway, the system did notify me that "Assisted Driving Pro" mode was engaged. This happened automatically from regular Assisted Driving Mode, presumably when the 'appropriate conditions' were met.

I have not been able to get Extended Traffic Jam Assist to engage.

I'm going to follow up with dealership to see what I am doing wrong, as the manual is very vague.

Edit - corrected mode names
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
The mode button toggles between "Distance Control" and "Assisted Driving Mode" on the display panel. At one point, on a highway, the system did notify me that "Assisted Driving Pro" mode was engaged. This happened automatically from regular Assisted Driving Mode, presumably when the 'appropriate conditions' were met.

I'm going to follow up with dealership to see what I am doing wrong, as the manual is very vague.

Let us know what they say but I think Assisted Driving Pro means Extended Traffic Jam Assist in this instance.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #13
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Let us know what they say but I think Assisted Driving Pro means Extended Traffic Jam Assist in this instance.
Yes I will post anything I learn. The "Pro" mode still required occasional touch on the steering wheel, I never have been able to get the 'hands-free" ETJA to engage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 03:12 PM   #14
ven7782
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i, 2017 Q7 prestige

Quote:
After these posts, I have been using the 'mode' button to try to engage the various functions. I have both Active Driving Assistance Pro and Extended Traffic Jam Assistance.

I was also trying to find how different is this traffic jam assist feature. The manual does not explain anything about this. All it says is "Refer to Pg 232" and there is nothing on that page that specifically describe this feature. I have a feeling that my vehicle does not have this feature at all despite saying it does in the options list. The mode button does not bring the traffic jam assist IMO. Time to follow up with the dealer on this.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #15
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ven7782 View Post
Quote:

I was also trying to find how different is this traffic jam assist feature. The manual does not explain anything about this. All it says is "Refer to Pg 232" and there is nothing on that page that specifically describe this feature. I have a feeling that my vehicle does not have this feature at all despite saying it does in the options list. The mode button does not bring the traffic jam assist IMO. Time to follow up with the dealer on this.
I wonder if the "Extended traffic jam assistant on limited access highways" is limited by the fact that , thus far, no highways have been designated "limited access highways"? Maybe that's why.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #16
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Given that the nearest dealer to me is 60 miles away I'm going to need an online genius. Anyone ready to step up? Just kidding but I am concerned about getting assistance without a trip to the dealer. How is the telephone Genius support?

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #17
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i

I've been on the highway in traffic <40mph and used the traffic jam assistant. You have to hit mode to cycle to it. Only presents as an option when all conditions are met. Worked like a charm totally hands free for a good 15 min. As soon as traffic cleared a bit it got to 40mph and it cut out... Otherwise worked well.

The yellow lights on the steering wheel came on after about 20-30 seconds of not looking directly at the road in front of me (I had my face turned but watching road in the corner of my eye)
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy12880.50
      02-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #18
bladers
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by puraj83 View Post
I've been on the highway in traffic <40mph and used the traffic jam assistant. You have to hit mode to cycle to it. Only presents as an option when all conditions are met. Worked like a charm totally hands free for a good 15 min. As soon as traffic cleared a bit it got to 40mph and it cut out... Otherwise worked well.

The yellow lights on the steering wheel came on after about 20-30 seconds of not looking directly at the road in front of me (I had my face turned but watching road in the corner of my eye)

Can you record a video on it driving, hands free in traffic, like 10+ mins?
I want to see how good it is.

Also can you use a good camera angle to this?

https://s.thestreet.com/files/tsc/v2...494e0efba3.jpg

or this...

https://media.architecturaldigest.co...riving%201.jpg

Last edited by bladers; 02-05-2019 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #19
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladers View Post
Quote:

Can you record a video on it driving, hands free in traffic, like 10+ mins?
I want to see how good it is.

Also can you use a good camera angle to this?

https://s.thestreet.com/files/tsc/v2...494e0efba3.jpg

or this...

https://media.architecturaldigest.co...riving%201.jpg
Sure. Next time I'm in traffic
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #20
ven7782
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i, 2017 Q7 prestige

Quote:

Good to know. I don't think I have tried this feature below 40mph. That might explain why I didn't see this. I will check again at lower speeds.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #21
kleo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I've used it a few times and it works great. Normally, if you hit the mode button it will switch between ACC and ACC w/ steering assist. The latter provides about 10-15 seconds or so of hands free driving and doesn't seem to have a max speed limit. This is NOT the pro feature.

To engage the pro feature, you need to turn on ACC w/ steering assist first and wait for the system to tell you that pro feature is available. Based on my experience it only happens when driving on a congested highway. It will let you know by showing a "Assisted Driving Plus: Note Requirements" message on the HUD as well as infotainment display (yes it reads "plus" but is in fact referring to the pro features we are talking about). When you see this message, hit the mode button once again and you'll switch to the usually-hidden, third mode which is the assisted drive pro. The lights on the steering wheel will turn solid green as long as the system is engaged which provides unlimited hand free driving. If you hit the brake or speed pick up and exceeds 40mph, the green lights will go out and the system disengages.

I commute on I-280 in the Bay Area everyday and it works like a charm!
Appreciate 1
Xeno313.00
      02-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #22
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleo View Post
I've used it a few times and it works great. Normally, if you hit the mode button it will switch between ACC and ACC w/ steering assist. The latter provides about 10-15 seconds or so of hands free driving and doesn't seem to have a max speed limit. This is NOT the pro feature.

To engage the pro feature, you need to turn on ACC w/ steering assist first and wait for the system to tell you that pro feature is available. Based on my experience it only happens when driving on a congested highway. It will let you know by showing a "Assisted Driving Plus: Note Requirements" message on the HUD as well as infotainment display (yes it reads "plus" but is in fact referring to the pro features we are talking about). When you see this message, hit the mode button once again and you'll switch to the usually-hidden, third mode which is the assisted drive pro. The lights on the steering wheel will turn solid green as long as the system is engaged which provides unlimited hand free driving. If you hit the brake or speed pick up and exceeds 40mph, the green lights will go out and the system disengages.

I commute on I-280 in the Bay Area everyday and it works like a charm!
^this. Same here.
Appreciate 0