E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Alternative to BetaLink

03-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
330ionMaui
Let's See...Bimmer or Lotus today?
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i TiAg ZSP, ZPP

Alternative to BetaLink

Can anyone recommend an equivalent or better alternative to BMW's Betalink for attaching the rear spoiler and CF lower lips?

Thanks!
With the several complaints of the OEM rear spoiler separating at the ends despite the use of Betalink, I decided to simply use industrial strength doulbe-sided tape generously to attach my spoiler. So far, so good...and no glue to stain my hands! I'll let you know if the spoiler flies off one day! I doubt it will though. It seems to be stuck on as if it were bolted on. Thanks for the recommendation longtran!

Last edited by 330ionMaui; 04-02-2006 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
3some
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E90 //M Sport 320i S/Black

Garage List
Hounestly my friend, dont get mad, but I have no freakin idea what you are actually talking about.

Maybe E90fleet knows ask him with a private msg.

Sorry man.

E90 M-Sport Package, Sapphire Black . Exterior
Logic 7 Sound, Sunroof , I-Drive, Sport Seats , Sat-Nav, Beige Dekota Leather , Aluminium Trim . Interior
Blacklines installed recently, Chrome exaust Tip, Mods :rocks: :rocks:
1999- April - E36 Special Edition 316i (Brilliant Red)
2004- April - E46 Sport Pack 318i (Alpine White)
2005- December- E90 M-Sport 320i (Sapphire Black)
Next- 2008 - E92 335i Coupe (Don't know yet)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive would probably work, and it's available in a non-black color (unlike the Betalink).
      03-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3some
Hounestly my friend, dont get mad, but I have no freakin idea what you are actually talking about.

Maybe E90fleet knows ask him with a private msg.

Sorry man.
Calm down

Betalink is the glue BMW says you must use to stick the carbon fibre pieces onto the car with
      03-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

One thing to think about is why have BMW said you must use a differnt glue when putting on the CF spoiler rather than the "normal" one

i would rather use what they say you must, just to be shure you dont have problems later, like the spoiler comming off in parts
      03-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
john802
Riptide
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i SG

I think he's talking about the adhesive strip that attaches the rear spoiler to the lip.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
3some
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E90 //M Sport 320i S/Black

Garage List
Thanx Fleet. I didn't know but now I do.
Glue stuff, easy as that.

E90 M-Sport Package, Sapphire Black . Exterior
Logic 7 Sound, Sunroof , I-Drive, Sport Seats , Sat-Nav, Beige Dekota Leather , Aluminium Trim . Interior
Blacklines installed recently, Chrome exaust Tip, Mods :rocks: :rocks:
1999- April - E36 Special Edition 316i (Brilliant Red)
2004- April - E46 Sport Pack 318i (Alpine White)
2005- December- E90 M-Sport 320i (Sapphire Black)
Next- 2008 - E92 335i Coupe (Don't know yet)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
One more thing about Betalink. I used this to attach my rear spoiler and it will definitely stick to your skin. I work on people's faces all day, and I should have worn latex gloves before handling that black goop. After I made a mess on my hands, I started with 3M adhesive remover, then orange lanolin containing shop soap, pumice, then acetone, even sandpaper. I finally managed to get most of it off in the shower with hot water and a wash cloth, but I'll never make that mistake again.
      03-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
MonacoBlueNJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
One more thing about Betalink. I used this to attach my rear spoiler and it will definitely stick to your skin. I work on people's faces all day, and I should have worn latex gloves before handling that black goop. After I made a mess on my hands, I started with 3M adhesive remover, then orange lanolin containing shop soap, pumice, then acetone, even sandpaper. I finally managed to get most of it off in the shower with hot water and a wash cloth, but I'll never make that mistake again.
Definately wear gloves...I had this stuff on my hands for a few days.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 12:20 AM   #10
330ionMaui
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
One thing to think about is why have BMW said you must use a differnt glue when putting on the CF spoiler rather than the "normal" one

i would rather use what they say you must, just to be shure you dont have problems later, like the spoiler comming off in parts
With the several complaints of the OEM rear spoiler separating at the ends despite the use of Betalink, I decided to simply use industrial strength doulbe-sided tape generously to attach my spoiler. So far, so good...and no glue to stain my hands! I'll let you know if the spoiler flies off one day! I doubt it will though. It seems to be stuck on as if it were bolted on. Thanks for the recommendation longtran!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #11
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

The most popular thing I've seen used for attaching kit is 3M Automotive Acrylic Double-Sided tape (Grey foam, red backing). I've installed spoilers and skirts with this stuff, and it holds very strongly. Easy to use, no mess to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #12
330ionMaui
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO3
The most popular thing I've seen used for attaching kit is 3M Automotive Acrylic Double-Sided tape (Grey foam, red backing). I've installed spoilers and skirts with this stuff, and it holds very strongly. Easy to use, no mess to worry about.
I picked up "Scotch Exterior Mounting Tape, Super Strong" from that hard to find store called "Home Depot" j/k. It also is grey foam, with red backing, similar to the small amount that is pre-attached to the OEM spoiler. I ended up quadrupling the amount of double sided tape.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 01:04 AM   #13
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
+1 for "grey foam, red backing" 3M double sided tape.

I had a fiberglass front bumper(yes, the whole front bumper) installed just with double sided tape once(for a week). I drove it around just fine. those things, once they stick, they REALLY stick. Also had a front lip just attached by 3M double sided tape on my previous car cause I didn't want to drill any holes. held up fine for 3 years until the vehicle was totalled.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #14
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I have this type f tape on my replica spoiler and have no problems with it

Once it begins to peel or anything like that, I will just take it off and get a REAL oem or some other one
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #15
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I would not use anything but betalink, its the official part by BMW, why question them, question the way it was installed.

I did mine with betalink and the tape adhesive that came with the OEM soiler and mine still attached in the trunk like its welded.
I dont have any issue, I feel most those installed w/ problem are improper installation by untrained body-shop mechanic

I even did a DYI online, with emphasis on clamping the edges and taping it tightly during installation and cure time.

I also, emphasized excess amount of betalink at left/right edges, and do it when weather is about 60-90 degrees fahrenheit.

My photo DIYs are in e90 DIY thread and at my signature block.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...398#post227398

Note:
DIY Step-by-Step E90 Spoiler Install for Dummies
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ar+spoiler+diy

notes from jwarcd :
- The spoiler I got did not fit the curve of the trunk exactly and had to be slightly bent when installing to match the trunk. Not a big deal, but makes is a little harder to install.
- wear laytex gloves, the adhesive is pretty messy.
- clean the trunk edge and the back of the spoiler really well with the BetaClean solvent that came with the 3M BetaLink adhesive.
- lightly sand the back of the spoiler to give the adhesive something to grab onto.
- Now it's time to install the spoiler. BTW, don't peel off the protective backing on the tape on the spoiler until after you have installed it. (Once it touches the car it's on for good!) How the heck do I do that you are thinking? :-) Before you install it peel off about 1" of the tape backing and bend it back so that it sticks out towards the front of the car.
- Now, Put the 3M adhesive on the spoiler. Place the spoiler on the car and while you are pressing on the spoiler pull the tape backing towards the front of the car.
- Use the blue painters masking tap to hold the spoiler in place while the 3M BetaLink adhesive dries. The blue tape is easier to remove, and doesn't leave much residue behind. I also used small spring claps to hold the ends of the spoiler tightly to the trunk since it wanted to spring up a little.
- Clean up the the extra adhesive with the 3M BetaClean cleaner that came with the adhesive.
- I missed a little adhesive that was under the masking tape and was able to remove it the next day with a little BetaClean and the platic tool that came with the adhesive. You just have to be patient and carefully scrape it.
- BTW the adhesive doesn't come with the spoiler, it was about $15 at the dealer.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Last edited by ase2dais; 04-02-2006 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
I would not use anything but betalink, its the official part by BMW, why question them, question the way it was installed.

I did mine with betalink and the tape adhesive that came with the OEM soiler and mine still attached in the trunk like its welded.
I dont have any issue, I feel most those installed w/ problem are improper installation by untrained body-shop mechanic

I even did a DYI online, with emphasis on clamping the edges and taping it tightly during installation and cure time.

I also, emphasized excess amount of betalink at left/right edges, and do it when weather is about 60-90 degrees fahrenheit.

My photo DIYs are in e90 DIY thread and at my signature block.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...398#post227398

Note:
DIY Step-by-Step E90 Spoiler Install for Dummies
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ar+spoiler+diy

notes from jwarcd :
- The spoiler I got did not fit the curve of the trunk exactly and had to be slightly bent when installing to match the trunk. Not a big deal, but makes is a little harder to install.
- wear laytex gloves, the adhesive is pretty messy.
- clean the trunk edge and the back of the spoiler really well with the BetaClean solvent that came with the 3M BetaLink adhesive.
- lightly sand the back of the spoiler to give the adhesive something to grab onto.
- Now it's time to install the spoiler. BTW, don't peel off the protective backing on the tape on the spoiler until after you have installed it. (Once it touches the car it's on for good!) How the heck do I do that you are thinking? :-) Before you install it peel off about 1" of the tape backing and bend it back so that it sticks out towards the front of the car.
- Now, Put the 3M adhesive on the spoiler. Place the spoiler on the car and while you are pressing on the spoiler pull the tape backing towards the front of the car.
- Use the blue painters masking tap to hold the spoiler in place while the 3M BetaLink adhesive dries. The blue tape is easier to remove, and doesn't leave much residue behind. I also used small spring claps to hold the ends of the spoiler tightly to the trunk since it wanted to spring up a little.
- Clean up the the extra adhesive with the 3M BetaClean cleaner that came with the adhesive.
- I missed a little adhesive that was under the masking tape and was able to remove it the next day with a little BetaClean and the platic tool that came with the adhesive. You just have to be patient and carefully scrape it.
- BTW the adhesive doesn't come with the spoiler, it was about $15 at the dealer.

Good luck!
I was an idiot and did not use gloves. How do I get the betalink glue off my hands?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #17
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

i just used this last night to install my CF performance spoiler. read through all the DIY on this process but still was a bit tricky because the applicator nozzle for the betalink tube SUCKS...the stuff started pouiring out everywhere and eventually i just used my fingers to spread it out on the edges of the spoiler. had to put a thick bead of it at the front end of my spoiler because it just had the edge of the spoiler in contact with the trunk. the only hard part about the betalink process is using the right amount and making a clean install, the stuff gets everywhere. the betaclean was a god send. still got clumps of betalink in c few small parts but i'm going to remove that carefully with a sharp blade. I left it on for 12 hours over night and this morning it felt pretty strong and stuck on there
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #18
>sVo<
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90, E39, E63

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
2004 BMW 645Ci  [0.00]
@ase2dais: thanx man... im trying to fit my spoiler and I wasn't sure about betalink... I'll try your method as soon as I get the betalink. By the way... where can I find it? (couldn't find it on ebay )
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #19
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

I use 3m Urethane Windshield Adhesive. Can be found in caulk tubes at any auto paint store.

Cleans up with alcohol. I positioned my rear spoiler and makes the area off.
I then applied the stuff to the underside of the spoiler. Put it into place and used painters yellow tape to hold it into place. I then used the alcohol to clean up the edge with my finger and a rag.

Worked great!!!
Appreciate 0