BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 5 series vs. X5

10-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
boonkgang13k
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e

5 series vs. X5

I have always been wondering which one would most people choose? They pretty much the same class and price but X5 seems more practical. I personally like sedans better than SUVs because of their classy looks.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

I've been driving an X5 the last 3 years. Ordered from factory, loaded.

While I enjoyed it, I feel it's missing some of the luxury and comfort of the 5 series. Of course I can't speak for the newest models but I also feel like the materials used in the X5 are not as high quality as the 5 series.

Just my opinion.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

It depends on what you are looking for, and it's a classic mid-size sedan vs. SUV comparison.

The SUV has a general advantage when it comes to cargo space (which many associate with being "practical"), or the 7-seater flexibility if you need to haul many passengers. It also comes with a higher ground clearance/seating position and corresponding higher center of gravity.

The downside is the typical weight increase and driving dynamics. Some SUVs do a better job of managing these traits better than others (e.g. Alfa Stelvio), but you can't cheat the law of physics.

Since 99% of the SUV buyers don't go off-roading, I am going to ignore it for the purpose this discussion. If you do, I am sure this is a pretty clear cut decision.

Only you can decide what is more important to you.

Just as a disclaimer, my wife has a Lexus SUV even though she doesn't need any of the SUV traits, but I learned a long time ago that injecting logic into significant other's choices is an impediment to one's happy married life.
Appreciate 1
jwong77320.50
      10-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Some of the reasons people ( especially women) prefer SUVs is because of higher clearance, feeling of being able to see immediately around you, to see the nose of the car ( as my wife puts it) and therefore overall sense of safety. People with back problems also find the higher sitting position, allowing thighs to be almost horizontal better for back pain
      10-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

If you add wagons into the choice, for me it is the 5-series wagon that comes out as first choice. Prefer the better driving dynamics, plus it is more economical.

Same applies to 3-series vs. X3. My son was driving an X3 while I had the E91 wagon. Yes, I see the 'alternative' benefits which come with the SUV models. I do like the higher driving position, but not enough to sacrifice the driving satisfaction of a sedan and/or practicality of a wagon.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
If you add wagons into the choice, for me it is the 5-series wagon that comes out as first choice. Prefer the better driving dynamics, plus it is more economical.

Same applies to 3-series vs. X3. My son was driving an X3 while I had the E91 wagon. Yes, I see the 'alternative' benefits which come with the SUV models. I do like the higher driving position, but not enough to sacrifice the driving satisfaction of a sedan and/or practicality of a wagon.
I think there's some serious anti-wagon stuff going on in the US. Most people I know find them pretty ugly. I find them worse than ugly lol 😜
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonkgang13k View Post
I have always been wondering which one would most people choose? They pretty much the same class and price but X5 seems more practical. I personally like sedans better than SUVs because of their classy looks.
Same here, I am also a sedan type of guy.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #8
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Trunk space in a 5-series with fold-down rear seats is a wash compared to a 5 passenger X5.

The SUV is heavier and taller with more flexible cargo capacity for larger items.

Its like having one of each to get it all. I want it all, ha ha. But if extra passengers are in the cards, the X5 with the third row would be my choice. Otherwise, I don't see how hauling bulkier items happens too often to justify the loss in fuel economy.

PL
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:57 AM   #9
misterbixby
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
It depends on what you are looking for, and it's a classic mid-size sedan vs. SUV comparison.

The SUV has a general advantage when it comes to cargo space (which many associate with being "practical"), or the 7-seater flexibility if you need to haul many passengers. It also comes with a higher ground clearance/seating position and corresponding higher center of gravity.

The downside is the typical weight increase and driving dynamics. Some SUVs do a better job of managing these traits better than others (e.g. Alfa Stelvio), but you can't cheat the law of physics.

Since 99% of the SUV buyers don't go off-roading, I am going to ignore it for the purpose this discussion. If you do, I am sure this is a pretty clear cut decision.

Only you can decide what is more important to you.

Just as a disclaimer, my wife has a Lexus SUV even though she doesn't need any of the SUV traits, but I learned a long time ago that injecting logic into significant other's choices is an impediment to one's happy married life.
😂😂 too true
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
I think there's some serious anti-wagon stuff going on in the US. Most people I know find them pretty ugly. I find them worse than ugly lol 😜
Over here in Europe many see the wagon as a 'better' design than the sedan. This applies not just to BMW models, many manufacturers seem to make a more pleasing design for a wagon, than a sedan or hatchback.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #11
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Over here in Europe many see the wagon as a 'better' design than the sedan. This applies not just to BMW models, many manufacturers seem to make a more pleasing design for a wagon, than a sedan or hatchback.
Unfortunately, the station wagon stigma from the 70s and 80s lives on in the US. Station wagon = old people's family hauler; Coupe = sexy carefree ride.

BMW has capitalized on people's insanity (at least on this side of the pond) with an endless "coupe" variants that don't fit the definition of "coupe" any more while depriving us of the wagons. E.g. 4er GC, 6er GC, X2, X4, X6, etc. etc.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2018, 01:35 AM   #12
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
I share that opinion.

Traditionally, Audis and Volvos made the best looking wagons / estates, but nowadays BMW make some epic looking ones as well. I would have loved a 5 series Touring, but we don't get them here.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 04:41 AM   #13
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
In the UK price wise it's the X3 that is closer, and in fact with discounts the 5 series is cheaper. Currently looking at X3 and 5, X5 wouldn't get a look in due to being a lot bigger and more expensive
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
In the UK price wise it's the X3 that is closer, and in fact with discounts the 5 series is cheaper. Currently looking at X3 and 5, X5 wouldn't get a look in due to being a lot bigger and more expensive
Agree. I'd cross shop the X3 with a 5-series in the UK, for pricing.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #15
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
G30 no brainier.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #16
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

With our 2nd X car a 2017 X5, as well as F10 5 series, the X cars are simply lower standard specially in comparison to 5 series, I certainly don't get why the X5 Price in relation to the new G30 or the X3 for example. in the Hybrid X5 model we have the boot space is same a normal X3, I know is down to the battery for the hybrid, but when certainly not reflect with the price.
I do like the height as I am in the country side, the vision with the X5 is simply perfect, but if a keen driver, do try the mid range SUV like X3, the X5 is simply to high and seats do not go low as I hoped, in fact it feels like I am sitting at a dinning table, with our ex X3 the height was perfect for vision down the country lanes, yet it felt like sitting in normal sedan not as low but good.
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK443.00
      11-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #17
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have never understood the attraction of driving heavy vehicles with poor handling traits and high center of gravity.

I am sure the X3 and X5 are some of the best of bunch but I just don't like trucks or truckish looking/feeling vehicles all that much.

Call me luditte or backwards but much rather spend time behind the wheel of a finely crafted sedan with road manners to match.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #18
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
I have never understood the attraction of driving heavy vehicles with poor handling traits and high center of gravity.

I am sure the X3 and X5 are some of the best of bunch but I just don't like trucks or truckish looking/feeling vehicles all that much.

Call me luditte or backwards but much rather spend time behind the wheel of a finely crafted sedan with road manners to match.
I agree. Having considered the X3, which in the end we dismissed because it just wasn't as nice as the 5, in almost every object comparison, the 5 touring comes out better
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #19
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post

I agree. Having considered the X3, which in the end we dismissed because it just wasn't as nice as the 5, in almost every object comparison, the 5 touring comes out better
I like the touring as well, unfortunately, the G31 is not offered for sale in North America. We haven't had a 5er touring since the E61 left our shores in 2009.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #20
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Ain't that the truth!

My wife drives a MB C-class, and has driven them religiously for some 25 years. Recently she decided to switch to an SUV, for no known or otherwise admitted reason.

Great, my M550 is on order, so let's get an X5 from the guy, too!

Nope, doesn't like the looks of them, wants a Range Rover and NOTHING else.

Logic? I'll just stop now while I am still ahead.

So to answer the OP's question, I have been a sedan guy for years, and never considered much else. I have driven SUV's in the past, and love their practicality, but have gotten used to the sedan life these days. I looked at the X5, but didn't actually test drive it. Perhaps I'm missing out on something?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #21
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar85 View Post
Quote:
Ain't that the truth!

My wife drives a MB C-class, and has driven them religiously for some 25 years. Recently she decided to switch to an SUV, for no known or otherwise admitted reason.

Great, my M550 is on order, so let's get an X5 from the guy, too!

Nope, doesn't like the looks of them, wants a Range Rover and NOTHING else.

Logic? I'll just stop now while I am still ahead.

So to answer the OP's question, I have been a sedan guy for years, and never considered much else. I have driven SUV's in the past, and love their practicality, but have gotten used to the sedan life these days. I looked at the X5, but didn't actually test drive it. Perhaps I'm missing out on something?
The fact that the G30 is manufactured either in Germany or Austria is enough reason for me to overlook the US (South Carolina assembled) X3 and X5s.

Besides, this week consumer reports published the most and least reliable new vehicles in the market and found it interesting that BMW sedans/cars tend to score higher in reliability scores than BMW X series SUVs. Something to ponder about....

Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK443.00
      11-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #22
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

I have a 2018 540 xDrive and a 2016 X5 3.0 (that is about to be replaced by a 2019 X5 4.0 that just arrived at the dealer).

Both have been great, trouble free vehicles. Both are very different, obviously.

X5 is driven by my wife during the week and our family car. That’s generally what I drive on weekends.

The 540 is my vehicle, driven for work and my regular travels.

If it was just me, I’d take the 540 every day. The X5 is obviously more practical for the kids, family trips, weekend errands, etc.

If we had only one car with a family and activities, it would probably be the X5.

Love them both. Great vehicles.
Appreciate 0