THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Drivetrain Malfunction in 1st with JB4

10-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #1
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Drivetrain Malfunction in 1st with JB4

If I floor it in 1st too hard I get a drivetrain malfunction and the car won't move at all. I have to stop and restart for it to be fixed. Anyone know how to stop this? Been happening ever since I got the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

I've had the drivetrain malfunction when I spin the tires, traction control engages, and I keep trying to go. sometimes it happens so fast that the traction control light doesn't get to come on.

just ease up in wet or slippery weather, your tires might be shot too.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

i get one when im on full throttle and blip into 5th.

new since replacing driver strut. dosen't effect car in anyway other than the light coming on. really strange. goes away when restarted.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvec03 View Post
I've had the drivetrain malfunction when I spin the tires, traction control engages, and I keep trying to go. sometimes it happens so fast that the traction control light doesn't get to come on.

It happens to me in perfectly dry weather and tires are only 6 months old. It happened even when they were brand new. I'm running 245 all around on map 6 maybe it's a traction issue? But in all gears I get traction control lights turning on but never had the drivetrain malfunction other than 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post

new since replacing driver strut. dosen't effect car in anyway other than the light coming on. really strange. goes away when restarted.
I don't just get the notification but my car just won't drive anymore. It just rolls and steers. No acceleration in first or second (haven't tried the other gears because it scares me lol) until I restart and it's all normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 11:04 PM   #5
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
Quote:

It happens to me in perfectly dry weather and tires are only 6 months old. It happened even when they were brand new. I'm running 245 all around on map 6 maybe it's a traction issue? But in all gears I get traction control lights turning on but never had the drivetrain malfunction other than 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post

I don't just get the notification but my car just won't drive anymore. It just rolls and steers. No acceleration in first or second (haven't tried the other gears because it scares me lol) until I restart and it's all normal.
odd...map 6!? I'm a 228... assuming you're a. 235? from what I know map 6 is some special stuff. why 6?

also, weird your can't do anything after the error. maybe send some codes or pulls to bms?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 12:34 AM   #6
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Can you post a log? Does this happen on map 1 or 2?

I have had JB4 for a couple of years and had the problem you describe happen only once - hit the throttle, DT malfunction and then car wouldn't go and would barely idle. Had to shut off and wait. Restarted and it worked fine.
      10-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
odd...map 6!? I'm a 228... assuming you're a. 235? from what I know map 6 is some special stuff. why 6?

also, weird your can't do anything after the error. maybe send some codes or pulls to bms?
Sorry, forgot to post it's an M240i.

Map 6 is custom tune. Map 1-3 didn't run very well for me. I don't have a check engine light and restart the car instantly because it's always happened to me when I was in the road so didn't have time to mess around. I will try to see if I can pull a code before I restart. I'm gonna try to re-produce it in a safe road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235SDCA View Post
Can you post a log? Does this happen on map 1 or 2?

I have had JB4 for a couple of years and had the problem you describe happen only once - hit the throttle, DT malfunction and then car wouldn't go and would barely idle. Had to shut off and wait. Restarted and it worked fine.
Really couldn't log it since it's always on accident but I'll try to do it on purpose and log it and pull codes if there are any. I don't run map 1 or 2 but can try it out too.

That's exactly what it does to me.

Thanks for the help guys I'll hopefully get back to everyone soon with results if I can reproduce it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 11:27 PM   #8
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think to find out what is going on you are going to have to get some logs. If you don't have the Bluetooth module for the JB4 you should seriously consider it. Between the module and app pricing it isn't cheap but you can have the app automatically log and you can easily change any settings on the JB4. The real time display is also well done. Prior to getting the BT module I had laptop on passenger seat. Worked, but was a PIA to set up and I never used it on a daily basis.
      10-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Infiniti Q50 / 16' Audi A4

I’ve experienced this for quite a while, since 2016.

It happens to me when I’m hesitant with the pedal but eventually give full Throttle in first gear. I think it’s related to a torque/ecu issue. I can’t remember well, but our transmissions are limited due to some torque limitations right? Something a flash tune might fix?

It’s a bit scary when it happens..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think to find out what is going on you are going to have to get some logs. If you don't have the Bluetooth module for the JB4 you should seriously consider it. Between the module and app pricing it isn't cheap but you can have the app automatically log and you can easily change any settings on the JB4. The real time display is also well done. Prior to getting the BT module I had laptop on passenger seat. Worked, but was a PIA to set up and I never used it on a daily basis.
I do have the bluetooth and app, just haven't messed with auto logs because I don't know how that works exactly. I guess it'll probably be good for me to find out. I just use it for basic logs/map change/oil temp. I haven't even touched the steering wheel controls yet, not sure how all that works.

It's been raining today so didn't do it. It would probably work but don't wanna risk sliding or something going wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHearns View Post
I’ve experienced this for quite a while, since 2016.

It happens to me when I’m hesitant with the pedal but eventually give full Throttle in first gear. I think it’s related to a torque/ecu issue. I can’t remember well, but our transmissions are limited due to some torque limitations right? Something a flash tune might fix?

It’s a bit scary when it happens..
That seems to be what is happening. It doesn't happen if I launch it just when I'm hesitant I guess. But sometimes I do start off slow then floor it and it doesn't happen but maybe it's a certain way that I am doing it that triggers the DT malfunction.

You have just lived with it? It's getting me worried like today I was going to make a u turn in traffic and had to wait until there was absolutely nobody because I was afraid to punch it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #11
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The auto logging works really great. I set mine to auto log at 80% WOT, so when the pedal is over 80% it starts logging. WOT timeout I have set to 3 seconds.

Something is definitely not right if you are getting that many DT malfunctions. My experience with DT messages are limited to the N55. Occasionally I get one at startup, and have to shut the car off and turn back on. Also very occasionally I will get one while driving but there is no issue and it seems to clear. Only once I had the case where the engine would only barely idle and it was somewhat alarming to say the least. Good thing I was just on a street with not a lot of traffic and managed to pull over.

If you can get a log when this happens BMS is great about support. Post in the B58 support section and usually you get a response within a day. Even if you don't have a log you could post the question - but usually they always ask for a log.
      10-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The auto logging works really great. I set mine to auto log at 80% WOT, so when the pedal is over 80% it starts logging. WOT timeout I have set to 3 seconds.

Something is definitely not right if you are getting that many DT malfunctions. My experience with DT messages are limited to the N55. Occasionally I get one at startup, and have to shut the car off and turn back on. Also very occasionally I will get one while driving but there is no issue and it seems to clear. Only once I had the case where the engine would only barely idle and it was somewhat alarming to say the least. Good thing I was just on a street with not a lot of traffic and managed to pull over.

If you can get a log when this happens BMS is great about support. Post in the B58 support section and usually you get a response within a day. Even if you don't have a log you could post the question - but usually they always ask for a log.
I'll activate it and test it out. It would probably help a lot honestly.

The DT message doesn't happen a lot while normal driving, just in the specific case that I listed. Couple times taking a turn from a stop, one time doing a u turn, couple times from a stop after rolling first then abruptly going WOT. Always in 1st while WOT that's it. Hope I get a chance to do some testing soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #13
notinregs
Rep
Drives: M240i

I got it once because one of my ewg wires was coming out of the jb4 module. I would recommend checking all wires and connections if you havent already.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #14
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by notinregs View Post
I got it once because one of my ewg wires was coming out of the jb4 module. I would recommend checking all wires and connections if you havent already.
I do have the EWG wires but this issue happened before I got them as well. JB4 will be coming out for a service visit soon so I can definitely check the wires then though.

Looks like DT malfunction has A LOT of different reasons. This could be really annoying to figure out lol
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 10:48 PM   #15
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Infiniti Q50 / 16' Audi A4

Quote:
I do have the bluetooth and app, just haven't messed with auto logs because I don't know how that works exactly. I guess it'll probably be good for me to find out. I just use it for basic logs/map change/oil temp. I haven't even touched the steering wheel controls yet, not sure how all that works.

It's been raining today so didn't do it. It would probably work but don't wanna risk sliding or something going wrong.

That seems to be what is happening. It doesn't happen if I launch it just when I'm hesitant I guess. But sometimes I do start off slow then floor it and it doesn't happen but maybe it's a certain way that I am doing it that triggers the DT malfunction.

You have just lived with it? It's getting me worried like today I was going to make a u turn in traffic and had to wait until there was absolutely nobody because I was afraid to punch it.
Yes, you described it perfectly and I know the exact type of scenarios were this could happen.

I took my car into service since I had a close friend working there. He couldn’t find the issue, but said the cause is probably from the JB4. Not that the JB4 is doing something wrong or causing damage, but a possible issue between the piggyback and our b58 limitations.

Yes, I’ve lived with it. I have put 40,000 miles on the JB4 and Intake. Probably received about 10 of those malfunctions within a 2+ year time frame. No issues, knock on wood. Have had the DP for about 35,000 miles. Multiple e85, 100 octane and octane booster mixes as well.

This issue really sucks when it happens around other cars. Especially when they’re honking at you not knowing your car won’t move until you turn it off and back on again.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 12:01 AM   #16
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
My car did this for the first time today. Been running the JB4 for about 25k miles and never had the issue so caught me off guard.

Using bimmercode, I did some changes to the front module like folding mirrors, etc. just yesterday. Since I did that, I feel the car stutter a bit which i thought was odd. Today I put my AS wheels back on (put the factory ones on for a comparison at the strip) which is normally what I drive on without issue. However, coming out of Walmart, like I’ve done a million times before, I floored it after I started going straight and then the DT malfunction triggered for the first time and cut all power. Thankfully there was a turn lane right away and I coasted into it and parked. Quick off/on of the car and it cleared fine. Driving away I gave it a half throttle and felt a little stutter again and then went back to normal.

Like I mentioned, I’ve done this a hundred times with my AS tires and never had any issues. Only thing different now from before is it’s 45 degrees out now and I did that coding. The image is the codes the jb4 read after this happened.

What normally happens if I start to slip, TC kicks in, icon flashes, and power is blipped, but then it hooks and goes again. Never any error codes.

The one code looks to translate to excessive acceleration from what a quick google search produced, but I’ve never had issues, even when I did an 1/8th mile in 7.76 seconds. What I’m assuming is the cause of this is excessive wheel acceleration/slippage that was beyond what TC is capable of correcting. As mentioned before, having colder weather here so the tires, although AS tires, are little firmer which means less grip.

What someone said during my research was boost limiting in 1st and 2nd gear and that fixed the issue for them. Personally I went with wider tires front and rear and never had the issue until today. Running 235/265 cont DWS06
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-17-2018, 12:26 AM   #17
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
My car did this for the first time today. Been running the JB4 for about 25k miles and never had the issue so caught me off guard.

Using bimmercode, I did some changes to the front module like folding mirrors, etc. just yesterday. Since I did that, I feel the car stutter a bit which i thought was odd. Today I put my AS wheels back on (put the factory ones on for a comparison at the strip) which is normally what I drive on without issue. However, coming out of Walmart, like I've done a million times before, I floored it after I started going straight and then the DT malfunction triggered for the first time and cut all power. Thankfully there was a turn lane right away and I coasted into it and parked. Quick off/on of the car and it cleared fine. Driving away I gave it a half throttle and felt a little stutter again and then went back to normal.

Like I mentioned, I've done this a hundred times with my AS tires and never had any issues. Only thing different now from before is it's 45 degrees out now and I did that coding. The image is the codes the jb4 read after this happened.

What normally happens if I start to slip, TC kicks in, icon flashes, and power is blipped, but then it hooks and goes again. Never any error codes.

The one code looks to translate to excessive acceleration from what a quick google search produced, but I've never had issues, even when I did an 1/8th mile in 7.76 seconds. What I'm assuming is the cause of this is excessive wheel acceleration/slippage that was beyond what TC is capable of correcting. As mentioned before, having colder weather here so the tires, although AS tires, are little firmer which means less grip.

What someone said during my research was boost limiting in 1st and 2nd gear and that fixed the issue for them. Personally I went with wider tires front and rear and never had the issue until today. Running 235/265 cont DWS06
Great info. Not sure why all of a sudden you would get it. I doubt it's a coding thing honestly. Sounds like we had the same issue and sounds like that code might be the same for me. I took off my JB4 for service and have yet to put it on which is why I haven't updated this yet.. I got a meth kit and decided to wire it up while it was off the car. Should be on within the week.

I always have Tc light in 1/2 and sometimes 3rd. I have 245 all around and I think that's a huge issue. I might need to go back to staggered and run 265 in the back. I live in Florida where it's always hot but still have traction issues even stock. This car definitely has a good amount of torque. It's really annoying because I rather lose traction and be able to just take my foot off some than the car just die on me. However I don't drive around with TC off because I rather have that extra safety in normal driving. I just sometimes do as you did and make those turns floored. Now that I'm stock I should actually try to see if it'll happen before putting on the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:31 AM   #18
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Great info. Not sure why all of a sudden you would get it. I doubt it's a coding thing honestly. Sounds like we had the same issue and sounds like that code might be the same for me. I took off my JB4 for service and have yet to put it on which is why I haven't updated this yet.. I got a meth kit and decided to wire it up while it was off the car. Should be on within the week.

I always have Tc light in 1/2 and sometimes 3rd. I have 245 all around and I think that's a huge issue. I might need to go back to staggered and run 265 in the back. I live in Florida where it's always hot but still have traction issues even stock. This car definitely has a good amount of torque. It's really annoying because I rather lose traction and be able to just take my foot off some than the car just die on me. However I don't drive around with TC off because I rather have that extra safety in normal driving. I just sometimes do as you did and make those turns floored. Now that I'm stock I should actually try to see if it'll happen before putting on the JB4.
I’m stationed just east of Pensacola in the panhandle actually lol. It’s been in the mid 40s the past few days up here. I’m xDrive so I usually hook with minimal wheel spin. Even at the strip with these AS tires, track prep at the line, I still spun the rear wheels from what I see in the video, then the front wheels start a tad and then everything connects and launches.

Agree 100% with driving with TC on. I daily Sport mode because Sport+ allows for (from what I’ve read) ~10 degrees of angle before it will cut power and I’d hate to get any angle near a curb. With Sport+ and DTC off, my xDrive will do donuts/drift so I know it will understeer me into any turn
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #19
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I’m stationed just east of Pensacola in the panhandle actually lol. It’s been in the mid 40s the past few days up here. I’m xDrive so I usually hook with minimal wheel spin. Even at the strip with these AS tires, track prep at the line, I still spun the rear wheels from what I see in the video, then the front wheels start a tad and then everything connects and launches.

Agree 100% with driving with TC on. I daily Sport mode because Sport+ allows for (from what I’ve read) ~10 degrees of angle before it will cut power and I’d hate to get any angle near a curb. With Sport+ and DTC off, my xDrive will do donuts/drift so I know it will understeer me into any turn
Ah xDrive makes sense lol when I have TC issues I basically feel like I go nowhere until I let off a bit because it just won't grip. I've tested to see how long the light stays and it's for a good few seconds. In Orlando I don't think I went down that far but I may have missed it. Lowest I saw was high 50's. You xDrive guys make me jealous!

I think it makes sense that you didn't get the code till now because of you're xDrive. If you usually don't lose as much traction the cold could be a factor. Maybe it's a combination of not straight and no traction that gives DT malfunction. I have had so much TC issues going straight even in 1st gear with the light lit up like a Christmas tree but no shutdown. When the DT malfunction happens it's always a little turned and doesn't even have time to light up like that it dies so quickly.

Now that I think of it before the JB4 I've peeled out in comfort mode doing similar turns multiple times even in the rain just with the TC lit up. Since JB4 the same types of turns give DT malfunction and only time I peel out is straight. It's probably a power handling issue with the ecu. I wonder if a flash tune can fix it?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #20
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah xDrive makes sense lol when I have TC issues I basically feel like I go nowhere until I let off a bit because it just won't grip. I've tested to see how long the light stays and it's for a good few seconds. In Orlando I don't think I went down that far but I may have missed it. Lowest I saw was high 50's. You xDrive guys make me jealous!

I think it makes sense that you didn't get the code till now because of you're xDrive. If you usually don't lose as much traction the cold could be a factor. Maybe it's a combination of not straight and no traction that gives DT malfunction. I have had so much TC issues going straight even in 1st gear with the light lit up like a Christmas tree but no shutdown. When the DT malfunction happens it's always a little turned and doesn't even have time to light up like that it dies so quickly.

Now that I think of it before the JB4 I've peeled out in comfort mode doing similar turns multiple times even in the rain just with the TC lit up. Since JB4 the same types of turns give DT malfunction and only time I peel out is straight. It's probably a power handling issue with the ecu. I wonder if a flash tune can fix it?
Yea hopefully. If I go flash tune I will probably do the PureS2 at the same time
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #21
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yea hopefully. If I go flash tune I will probably do the PureS2 at the same time
I'm waiting for BM3 if they have it for the same price as the N55 and a way to shut it off for service like the MP flash then I would be down.

I went to go pure as well once warranty is out. Not too long now.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #22
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by notinregs View Post
What kind of times are you getting at the strip Joe? Best I've got with the MT is 13 flat haha. Traction is crazy bad with these little 245s. Are you at Eglin? I love Destin, sounds like a dream posting!
I’m stationed at Hurlburt and live out in Gulf Breeze. Haven’t been to the strip in Holt, but I did the 1/8th mile in Crossville, TN. Best was 7.76 at 88.9mph in the 1/8th which a rough translation is 12.1 in the quarter. No quarter strips around here that I know of. I’m on 235/265x19 Cont DWS06 so I was spinning off the line with track prep
Appreciate 0