BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The job interview shananigans thread

10-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Talking The job interview shananigans thread

Let's share job interview nonsense stories. I spoke to a potential new suitor on the phone today. It was the founder/CEO. He tells me he closes 100% of the calls/meetings he goes on.

Look, man, we all wanna think we are awesome, but no one closes 100% in sales. Join us in reality.

Then, later in the conversation, he says they close about 3/4.

FFS
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
________4158.50
Torgus3781.50
      10-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Over the years, I have had SEVERAL folks ask me illegal questions in interviews like my age, am I married, etc.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
c1pher4671.50
      10-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Does this include exit interviews?

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

i had a former employer ask me what sports i played in high school, what my stats were, and why i didnt list all my HS jobs on my resume.

This is 6 years after graduating college....

Looking back, that should have been the red flag that kept me from wasting my time there.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 3
________4158.50
xander_g1009.00
      10-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
On the other end of the spectrum, I had a hiring manager in HR tell me the following:

I applied for a senior accounting position with a Government Ordnance manufacturer. I have many years of experience and am a licensed CPA. The hiring manager said they were looking for someone with a decent amount of government experience as well. I said "Well, I am also prior military."

The HR fellow says: "No, I mean, we are looking for someone with real government experience."

Apparently the military is part of the fake government division. Who knew?
That's why the H in "HR" stands for hopeless.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
Sea-Tac1455.00
      10-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Does this include exit interviews?
Sure!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 01:46 PM   #7
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
On the other end of the spectrum, I had a hiring manager in HR tell me the following:

I applied for a senior accounting position with a Government Ordnance manufacturer. I have many years of experience and am a licensed CPA. The hiring manager said they were looking for someone with a decent amount of government experience as well. I said "Well, I am also prior military."

The HR fellow says: "No, I mean, we are looking for someone with real government experience."

Did you then say "So no thank you for my service?"
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
________4158.50
      10-30-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The other day I got an email back saying I'm not qualified for an inside sales position. I have almost two decades of sales experience...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Agree the HR response was rudely put, but government experience and military experience are quite different.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #10
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

I applied for a position and then withdrew because the comp wasn't going to justify the move. They were unable to fill and retained a search firm. The search firm swore that they explained the comp package wrong and left about $50K on the table and cajoled me to put my name back in. What the heck.

So ... they have their screening appointment with the client and I'm short listed and have the interview with the headhunter scheduled. I then get an email asking me to complete a written assignment and make a video introducing myself ... the answers to the written assignment were basically what was already covered off in my cover letter, resume and my previous two discussions with them and the job has no requirement to appear on video (presentation skills are required, but they weren't asking for a mock presentation).

My professional bona fides are more than well established and I am not jumping through stupid hoops that serve no rational purpose. This is the second time this particular search firm has left me shaking my head as a candidate. Trust me, when I am responsible for choosing a search firm ... it won't be these guys.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #11
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Agree the HR response was rudely put, but government experience and military experience are quite different.
Rude would be an understatement. And trust me, in this case, there wasn't really a need for government experience. They weren't under GASB, they were under USGAAP, and the position was for external reporting compliance with the SEC of which all my experience is in, including many years as a Big-4 auditor. They were an idiot and just checking a box, and lost out on a great hire - but I ended up where I am now, which is fantastic.
      10-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #12
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
I applied for a position and then withdrew because the comp wasn't going to justify the move. They were unable to fill and retained a search firm. The search firm swore that they explained the comp package wrong and left about $50K on the table and cajoled me to put my name back in. What the heck.

So ... they have their screening appointment with the client and I'm short listed and have the interview with the headhunter scheduled. I then get an email asking me to complete a written assignment and make a video introducing myself ... the answers to the written assignment were basically what was already covered off in my cover letter, resume and my previous two discussions with them and the job has no requirement to appear on video (presentation skills are required, but they weren't asking for a mock presentation).

My professional bona fides are more than well established and I am not jumping through stupid hoops that serve no rational purpose. This is the second time this particular search firm has left me shaking my head as a candidate. Trust me, when I am responsible for choosing a search firm ... it won't be these guys.
Any time I get a response to my application looking for a phone message selling myself or video selling myself, etc I immediately delete it. No thank you.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      10-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #13
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Rude would be an understatement. And trust me, in this case, there wasn't really a need for government experience. They weren't under GASB, they were under USGAAP, and the position was for external reporting compliance with the SEC of which all my experience is in, including many years as a Big-4 auditor. They were an idiot and just checking a box, and lost out on a great hire - but I ended up where I am now, which is fantastic.
Ah gotcha, yeah guy seems like he shouldn't be conducting interviews! But good stuff, as long as you like where you're at the rest doesn't matter
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      10-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #14
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I can't be the only one that has had companies completely pull a job offer when they sent a counter offer. I am in sales so why the hell would I not negotiate for myself?!

If you clowns are firm on everything, make that known right off the bat. I could have saved myself a lot of time.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #15
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I am very reluctant to post this....

I used to be the manager of a business located next to a nail salon. Several of the girls from the nail salon next door used to come over in between customers and hang out/talk with either myself or my sales reps. One of the girls was interested in a job opening but her shift didn't end until we were closed. She continued to show interest almost daily for about a week. I eventually told her I would stay late one night and discuss the position with her, requirements, expectations, etc. not so much a formal interview but more of just explaining how everything worked.

After about 15 minutes, I found out very quickly that she wasn't really interested in a job. I am not at liberty to explain the events that transpired for the next hour but I will say it was the best "interview" I ever conducted.
Appreciate 11
________4158.50
Run Silent15127.00
upstatedoc7563.50
Sea-Tac1455.00
MrRoboto1845.50
Germanauto9704.00
DieselOG1673.50
Torgus3781.50
      10-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #16
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post

I used to be the manager of a business located next to a nail salon. Several of the girls from the nail salon next door used to come over in between customers and hang out/talk with either myself or my sales reps. One of the girls was interested in a job opening but her shift didn't end until we were closed. She continued to show interest almost daily for about a week. I eventually told her I would stay late one night and discuss the position with her, requirements, expectations, etc. not so much a formal interview but more of just explaining how everything worked.

After about 15 minutes, I found out very quickly that she wasn't really interested in a job. I am not at liberty to explain the events that transpired for the next hour but I will say it was the best "interview" I ever conducted.
I will now live through you
Appreciate 6
King Rudi13154.00
________4158.50
Run Silent15127.00
Germanauto9704.00
Torgus3781.50
      10-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #17
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
The other day I got an email back saying I'm not qualified for an inside sales position. I have almost two decades of sales experience...
I've been told the same. Sixteen years of sales experience, 12 years of management. I've come to realize that I intimidate people who are weak at interviewing and from my sales/management background and can size people up almost instantly. I have straight up walked out of interviews because I know I'm not getting the position based on the lack of skills demonstrated by the interviewer. People don't like hiring their replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
I can't be the only one that has had companies completely pull a job offer when they sent a counter offer. I am in sales so why the hell would I not negotiate for myself?!

If you clowns are firm on everything, make that known right off the bat. I could have saved myself a lot of time.
You would think that an interview for a sales position would require negotiation. I have passed on hiring great candidates for the following:

1. They had no questions for me after the interview. I intentionally leave out pertinent information about their position or benefits to see if they pick up on it and inquire further.

2. Accepted my first offer of pay without negotiating when I am intentionally low-balling them and they know it. I want someone with a spine. I want to be questioned and challenged. If they have the balls to challenge me, they aren't going to allow a potential sale simply walk away. Also if you aren't going to negotiate for yourself then you aren't going to negotiate for me. I want people that are going to make me as much money as possible, not simply close a deal on whatever they can get.

3. I used to interview candidates in public at restaurants. I would buy them lunch and create a low key vibe to the process. I used this especially if I was hiring managers. Little did they know that every single detail from how they ate, how they ordered, how they interacted with the waiting staff, was under scrutiny. If they put salt or pepper on their food before they tasted it, it was an instant no regardless of how the rest of the conversation went.

Last edited by King Rudi; 10-30-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #18
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:

I'm going to choose to read this as "I'm not at liberty to explain the events that transpired, for the next hour" as in, I'm at work, and for the next hour or so, I can't be caught typing the details up...but after I get home, I will explain all of them in great detail to BP.
Appreciate 3
      10-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #19
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:

She painted your nails?
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
Germanauto9704.00
      10-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #20
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguywithanm3 View Post
She painted your nails?
I think he painted her face
Appreciate 5
King Rudi13154.00
________4158.50
Sea-Tac1455.00
Germanauto9704.00
      10-30-2018, 02:29 PM   #21
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguywithanm3 View Post
She painted your nails?
She got nailed and my desk got painted.....along with the conference table, one the chairs at the table and carpet in front of my desk.

Extremely unprofessional on my part however, she was only curious in the job so she could find a reason to talk. When she sat in front of me in her mini-skirt and made it VERY obvious what her intentions were, is ONLY when I took the bait. I would like to add that under no circumstance whatsoever would I ever make a move like that during an interview.....however, it is what it is.
Appreciate 5
Sea-Tac1455.00
Germanauto9704.00
Torgus3781.50
      10-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #22
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

nothing complicated like what you guys are describing.

I accidentally let a fart slip out during an interview. After that point, I only kept thinking about how much longer the interview would last.
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1455.00