BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Our 40i came in today and I noticed that my 22's had the Pirelli P Zero's and the other 40i that came in today as well had the Conti premiumcontact 6. I haven't been able to find out a whole lot of info on these tires, even on the manufacturers website. I did notice the P Zero's have a flatter sidewall and a rim protector as well as a 320 treadwear. The Contis have a bulging sidewall, no rim protector and a treadwear if 280.
Attached Images

11-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
jra0113
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 50i

Great explanation on the detail difference between the two. I've heard better things about the contis. However, less rim protection on the 22's worries me with my wife at the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 12:23 AM   #3
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

It is interesting because th two G05's I saw here at the same dealership had 22's and they had different tires. One had Perelli and one had Conti... I wonder what makes BMW choose which tire goes on which model???
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 12:34 AM   #4
bizfiend
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Renting Corolla lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
It is interesting because th two G05's I saw here at the same dealership had 22's and they had different tires. One had Perelli and one had Conti... I wonder what makes BMW choose which tire goes on which model???
You can choose which tire you want when you order one from scratch. If it's a pre made model specd by the dealer then they just choose whatever is available at that time. And the price of the tires are different from different companies so they can choose the cheaper option.

Last edited by bizfiend; 11-09-2018 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #5
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizfiend View Post
You can choose which tire you want when you order one from scratch. If it's a pre made model specd by the dealer then they just choose whatever is available at that time. And the price of the tires are different from different companies do they can choose the cheaper option.
Hmmm.. I wasn't given that option (to decide which tire I want)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 12:48 AM   #6
bizfiend
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm.. I wasn't given that option (to decide which tire I want)
There are many options you're not given. You have to know about them and ask them for it, then they'll ask the sales manager because they don't know about it because they're just car salesman. They don't know exactly everything single thing about these cars. That's why we have to read all ppls experiences on here to make sure to get every single thing you can, tailored specifically to you for all the money you're paying.

Like not to let the dealership detail your car, and not allow them smoke bomb the interior to get that new car smell. Or not to drill the front bumper licence plate. And individual colors, no salesman has ever offered these colors or brought them up.
I would be picky with the tires if this was a real M car, but it's just an SUV for practical use, not a race car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:54 AM   #7
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
What's a rim protector?
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:26 AM   #8
bavaria22
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
There are many options you're not given. You have to know about them and ask them for it, then they'll ask the sales manager because they don't know about it because they're just car salesman. They don't know exactly everything single thing about these cars. That's why we have to read all ppls experiences on here to make sure to get every single thing you can, tailored specifically to you for all the money you're paying.

Like not to let the dealership detail your car, and not allow them smoke bomb the interior to get that new car smell. Or not to drill the front bumper licence plate. And individual colors, no salesman has ever offered these colors or brought them up.
I would be picky with the tires if this was a real M car, but it's just an SUV for practical use, not a race car.
+1

Need to tell them not to "detail" (scratch) my vehicle and not to drill holes into the front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:18 AM   #9
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria22 View Post
+1

Need to tell them not to "detail" (scratch) my vehicle and not to drill holes into the front bumper.
I have already told them not to detail it (Because it is going DIRECTLY from the showroom floor to my detailer for PPF and Ceramic coating.

I have also instructed them not to drill the bumper for the license plate as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:48 AM   #10
CBx540i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11BoxsterSpyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
What's a rim protector?
The sidewall of the tire flares out to a ridge near where it meets rim. Offers just a little protection.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 05:46 AM   #11
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You can choose which tire you want when you order one from scratch. If it's a pre made model specd by the dealer then they just choose whatever is available at that time. And the price of the tires are different from different companies do they can choose the cheaper option.
In the 9 BMW 's I've custom ordered I've never been able to pick a tire. BMW will usually have two tires that they choose from, what ends up on your car depends what they have on hand. It used to be Bridgestone or Dunlop. Then it was Michelin or Conti. Now it's Pirelli and Conti. It just comes down to the luck of the draw.

High end dealerships rarely drill your front bumper for a license plate unless you ask them to. Others make you sign a waiver saying you wouldn't let them put the front plate on.

My dealership lightly details my car by hand washing rather than putting through the auto car wash. I do my own paint correcting and ceramic coating because I don't trust anyone to do a good job and not use too harsh of a compound and cut too much paint to save time and because I've seen too many detailers cut corners and tell you they're putting 3 layers of coating and only do one.
      11-09-2018, 06:23 AM   #12
bavaria22
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
I have already told them not to detail it (Because it is going DIRECTLY from the showroom floor to my detailer for PPF and Ceramic coating.

I have also instructed them not to drill the bumper for the license plate as well.
Just remember to go slow --> "no Autobahn for you"

How will you be able to part from your new beauty after waiting for it for so long?
The detailer will probably need to have the car for at least 2-3 days, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #13
bizfiend
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

How will you be able to part from your new beauty after waiting for it for so long?
I know if I don't take it to get ceramic coated right away, I'll never get to doing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #14
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:

It's probably going to be more like 5-6 days... And i think i am just going to drop it off and take a trip somewhere so I can't think about it lol!!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 05:54 AM   #15
seattli
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 i50 2019

mine got the Conti premium contact and i was surprised how smooth the ride felt being on 22s ... much smoother than Run Flats for sure and quieter .
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #16
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattli View Post
mine got the Conti premium contact and i was surprised how smooth the ride felt being on 22s ... much smoother than Run Flats for sure and quieter .
Ya our 22's ride just as smooth and comfortable as the 20's did on our F15