F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Any remote starter for f32 4 series yet?
proTUNING Freaks

11-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #1
Ridered
Rep
Drives: in need of replacement

Any remote starter for f32 4 series yet?

I have not been able to find one that says it works on the 4 series. Does anyone know any different?

We don't need to start a debate on how bmw says to just start the car and drive or that it is against the law to leave your car running unattended in Germany so that is why bme does not offer one.

When you park outside and it is below freezing, car covered in snow, and can't open the door because the window is frozen and won't drop to allow the door to open you start wanting remote start to help thaw things out.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridered View Post

We don't need to start a debate on how bmw says to just start the car and drive or that it is against the law to leave your car running unattended in Germany so that is why bme does not offer one.
Well, that one is BS because it's available for the 5-series and plenty of other european manufacturers make auto-starts. I would say the problem is they tend to be abused and used as a luxury item that is wasteful, but I live in AK and totally feel you, some days you won't be able to make a dent in scraping off the deposited ice until you can warm it up for 10 minutes. That it is not option-able for this car is BS.
      11-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
jeffthx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i X-drive M-Sport Conv

I've actually been on the hunt for one since buying my used 2015 F33 earlier this year. I've owned either Viper SmartStart or DroneMobile on my last couple of cars (ability to start the car via phone app). I live in MN, and I travel a lot for work, so my car sits at the airport ramp in below zero temps for days at a time. It's brutal to get into a car in those conditions.

Anyway, after contacting multiple installers and both Directed (Viper) and Firstech (Drone), I finally got a response from Firstech saying that they don't have a direct application for my vehicle, BUT if I could find an installer that was comfortable direct-wiring the starter into the car, it would work. Directed basically said they couldn't do it. I don't know enough about these systems to understand what is meant with the distinction between a "direct" solution and a hardwired system, but I was happy to hear it. The same day, I received a different message back from a local installer who said that he could do the installation, but I would have to give up a key fob to enable the starter. His response also aligned with what Firstech told me (he described how he would accomplish the installation). Total cost will be $700 for parts and labor. I researched him online, and he has dozens of 5-star reviews, so I feel good that he can get this one done.

So...I've since been on the hunt for a reasonably priced programmed fob, and I found a local BMW dealer that will sell it for $300 (the other local dealer was asking $520!). Once I have confirmation that the new fob works, I'll be setting up the appointment with the installer. Total with the fob will be $1000, which is triple what I've paid in the past for "direct" applications, but it's worth it to me. I became reliant on this feature over the years. If I didn't live in such an extreme climate, I might not care as much. However, when you have to get in a car when the wind chill is -30F, any debate about environmental impact, German laws, engine wear, or potential theft immediately goes out the window. By the way--the car is impossible to steal when it has been started with a cellular starter, as there still has to be a physical fob brought inside the car (besides the one that is disassembled and given up to be part of the system itself).

Good luck. Hopefully this info is helpful for you, as I've been searching for the same solution as you for the past 5 months.

--Jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
Ridered
Rep

I agree it is B'S. You would think after 4 years of them Being out someone would make one. Living in the northern usa when it rains then turns to snow things freeze and then you get the fun job of using a hair dryer or heat gun to melt the ice to open the door. Just adds to the irritation of driving to work on the moring on a crummy day.

I also hate not being able to put window vent shields on it. When you put the window down a bit to have a smoke when it is raining you get wet. You also get wet when you put the window down a bit when it is raining and someone farts in the car.

Maybe I should make a youtube video like that dumbass with the tesla complaining that when he puts the window down in the rain the door controls get wet. What the hack do you think will happen that guy is an idiot. Welcome to not having a full door frame and not being able to put window vent guards on.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Ridered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffthx View Post
I've actually been on the hunt for one since buying my used 2015 F33 earlier this year. I've owned either Viper SmartStart or DroneMobile on my last couple of cars (ability to start the car via phone app). I live in MN, and I travel a lot for work, so my car sits at the airport ramp in below zero temps for days at a time. It's brutal to get into a car in those conditions.

Anyway, after contacting multiple installers and both Directed (Viper) and Firstech (Drone), I finally got a response from Firstech saying that they don't have a direct application for my vehicle, BUT if I could find an installer that was comfortable direct-wiring the starter into the car, it would work. Directed basically said they couldn't do it. I don't know enough about these systems to understand what is meant with the distinction between a "direct" solution and a hardwired system, but I was happy to hear it. The same day, I received a different message back from a local installer who said that he could do the installation, but I would have to give up a key fob to enable the starter. His response also aligned with what Firstech told me (he described how he would accomplish the installation). Total cost will be $700 for parts and labor. I researched him online, and he has dozens of 5-star reviews, so I feel good that he can get this one done.

So...I've since been on the hunt for a reasonably priced programmed fob, and I found a local BMW dealer that will sell it for $300 (the other local dealer was asking $520!). Once I have confirmation that the new fob works, I'll be setting up the appointment with the installer. Total with the fob will be $1000, which is triple what I've paid in the past for "direct" applications, but it's worth it to me. I became reliant on this feature over the years. If I didn't live in such an extreme climate, I might not care as much. However, when you have to get in a car when the wind chill is -30F, any debate about environmental impact, German laws, engine wear, or potential theft immediately goes out the window. By the way--the car is impossible to steal when it has been started with a cellular starter, as there still has to be a physical fob brought inside the car (besides the one that is disassembled and given up to be part of the system itself).

Good luck. Hopefully this info is helpful for you, as I've been searching for the same solution as you for the past 5 months.

--Jeff
I am also in MN and when bought my used 2015 435i xdrive I got an extra key so please let me know how it goes with the install and who is doing it. Only having 2 dealers in the state sucks but I usually don't use them for anything other then warranty or recalls. I found a good shop that is way cheaper then them. Motorwerks wanted to charge me $2,000 to replace the oil pan gasket on my 2008 328xi the other shop was $1,900 and the also replace the motor mounts.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #6
jeffthx
Private
Rep

I haven't actually dealt with any of the TC BMW dealers yet (other than ordering my fob). I picked up my car from a non-BMW dealership in St Louis during a work trip last summer and drove it home. I have a couple of honest local indy shops down in the south metro that I've used for years on past cars, and I'm happy with their work. One of them installed my upgraded charge pipe and only charged me for half the actual amount of time it took them to put it in.

I'll send you a PM with details about the car installer.

--Jeff

Last edited by jeffthx; 11-11-2018 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #7
silvercas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: One

Quote:
I have not been able to find one that says it works on the 4 series. Does anyone know any different?

When you park outside and it is below freezing, car covered in snow, and can't open the door because the window is frozen and won't drop to allow the door to open you start wanting remote start to help thaw things out.
Did you happen to come across the below? If so what information did you get?

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1522408
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #8
Ridered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercas View Post
Did you happen to come across the below? If so what information did you get?

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1522408
Yes I did watch the video but cant find any info on there web site. That thread someone said $1,300 that is a little excessive. May be I will call and ask for my self tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
Ridered
Rep

I happen to watch a youtube video from f/x audio about remote starters for bmw. I sent them an email asking about the 4 series and they said they use "eurostart" which do not have any install shops in the USA. I guess I will have to try and find some contact info and ask them if they ship to the USA and how plug and play there remote start system is.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
Ridered
Rep

Another update I received an email back from kies motorsports today they said the are still a month out on the key and when ready they will make a video with all the details and said it should work on the 4 series.

I am still waiting to hear back from eurostart.

Would be nice if it would just work with the bmw connected app.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #11
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Another update I received an email back from kies motorsports today they said the are still a month out on the key and when ready they will make a video with all the details and said it should work on the 4 series.

I am still waiting to hear back from eurostart.

Would be nice if it would just work with the bmw connected app.
How much will it end up costing?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #12
fox88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Xdrive

It's out there. Just have to know where to look.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #13
Ridered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox88 View Post
It's out there. Just have to know where to look.
Kind of doubt that would actually work plus the only place I found that was at crutchfield and looks like a universal system that requires cutting and splicing wires. Personal preference not to poo on crutchfield but the only thing I would install in my car from them are speakers. Also cutting and splicing wires on my car no thanks. I will save doing that stuff to junkers or atv/utv's.

Kies motorsports did not give me a price but Eurostart did. They got back to me today and said $1100.00 in the usa but currently don't have any installers in the usa yet but are hoping to in the next few weeks. All I can say is good luck at that price. My personal feeling is if it is around $500.00 I will do it otherwise live without it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 09:43 AM   #14
fox88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Xdrive

I'm not personally a fan of the Directed brand of products myself, but many people are and do use them. That firmware download, in not shown in Directechs in the U.S., but is available in the European version of Directechs. Find someone local in your area that deals with Directed product. And Crutchfield has nothing to do with it, it's not their brand. Viper, Python, etc. are Directed brands.

All of the pieces are universal and require proprietary equipment to flash the modules with vehicle specific firmware, then again for decrypting the key information during the programming procedure. The only thing that makes them more specific as you say, is if there is a "T" harness available. But even those in most cases require splicing into the parking light circuits, or often times in German vehicles the Hazard circuit. And also the CAN hi/low's need to be tapped directly as well.

But firmware is firmware. If they have it released to control the vehicle, then it will work. I've used BETA firmware plenty of times and no issues. There's obviously much more too it than that, but that covers the basics.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #15
jeffthx
Private
Rep

UPDATE 11/23: I had my remote starter installed Wednesday (2015 435iX Conv). I went with the Viper (DEI) SmartStart Pro system (I believe that "Pro" means that it works on the 4G network, unlike past systems that were much slower due to being 3G-only). The only feature I was interested in was the ability to start the car with my phone from anywhere. This system delivers that without needing to carry around an aftermarket transmitter, etc. The installer had a tough time on the software end of things, but at the end of the day, it works. There is one minor quirk: When I use the phone to start it, I have to first send the unlock command through the phone, and then send the start command (which automatically re-locks the car). He's not sure why that's the case, but the DEI tech support told him that the BMW on-board software is very touchy (AND I have done some Bimmercoding to complicate things further), so it's hard to understand how different cars will handle talking to the DEI software. The good news is that my Comfort Access still works as is previously did. Mirrors still fold when I lock using the door handle, and they unfold when I open the locked door. The mirrors also unfold when I send the unlock command through the app, but they don't refold when the car re-locks after being started. That last point isn't a big deal, however, because I think that the car "reads" the Viper app's lock command the same way it would from the fob, and I can't get the mirrors to fold from my fob at all (they only fold if I lock using the door handle).

So far, everything appears to be working properly with the starter system. This should help tremendously for those days when my car has been sitting undriven for days at a time in the Minnesota winters.

Total cost was $700 parts and labor to install the system itself, plus roughly $300 for a new programmed BMW fob through a local dealer (which is "given up" and incorporated into the starter system).

An important point: The car still requires an actual BMW fob to be brought into the car before it can be driven away. The one that is incorporated into the SmartStart system only allows the car to start and run--it can't be put into gear without another fob being carried into the car (i.e., it functions the same as it did before in this regard).

The installer really knew his stuff, and has had his own private shop for a quite a while. He told me that one of the components of the system (maybe the bypass module?) was an older one that would work with my vehicle. He said that the reason that most shops aren't able to do this installation is because the newer components won't work at all. He just happened to have a few of the older modules on hand, so he could make it work. This is different from the new 4G component that I referred to above. I believe he was just talking about the ignition bypass specifically, which is one of 3 components that make up the overall system. I'm not a 12V expert, so I don't have the details to understand this further. I'm just passing along what he was telling me. Let me know if you want any other info, and I'll see what I can answer.

--Jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 07:48 PM   #16
simonelwell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05) 30d M Sport

I run outside, open the door reach my foot in and press the brake whilst I hit the button to fire it up. Then hit de-mist, heated seat(s), front de-mist etc.
shut door and retreat to house for breakfast locking car door with remote as I step back indoors.
Eat toast, drink coffee - head off 15 minutes later in warm, ice-free car.
Not as handy as auto start but able to switch on the accessories and no additional cost
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 12:28 AM   #17
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE 11/23: I had my remote starter installed Wednesday (2015 435iX Conv).
Good news. It's great to see some progress on this issue.

Just a couple days ago I had one of those ice-mornings where you can't make any progress with the ice-scraper, you gotta wait till it softens some from heat. You ain't going anywhere (drive moderately, lol!) until you can at least see. Ice can deposit fairly quickly and cars can cold-soak pretty quickly in some of the climates where they sell these things. I'm not talking about keeping it outside overnight, just parking it at work or for a few hours of shopping.
      11-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #18
jeffthx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Good news. It's great to see some progress on this issue.
I may have jumped the gun on the celebration... After a successful first day, I'm having an issue where the car will turn over using the app, but then it immediately shuts down again. The installer thinks he knows what's causing it (something about the way that the SmartStart system communicates with the car to let it know that it started). I'm leaving it with him for a couple days while I go out of town, and he's going to change some settings to hopefully eliminate the problem. He said that the hard part is getting the car to turn over in the first place (which is happening), so he's optimistic that can solve the issue that I'm currently having. I'll keep this thread updated as things progress.

--Jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #19
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I may have jumped the gun on the celebration... After a successful first day, I'm having an issue where the car will turn over using the app, but then it immediately shuts down again. The installer thinks he knows what's causing it (something about the way that the SmartStart system communicates with the car to let it know that it started). I'm leaving it with him for a couple days while I go out of town, and he's going to change some settings to hopefully eliminate the problem. He said that the hard part is getting the car to turn over in the first place (which is happening), so he's optimistic that can solve the issue that I'm currently having. I'll keep this thread updated as things progress.

--Jeff
Well, I did inquire about these to my dealer and their advice was don't (well, no surprise there) because the only systems require splicing into the wires and code and there's too much that can go wrong trying to work around all the systems. Interestingly, BMW came out with it as an aftermarket addition to the 5 series during the time I owned the car. It's just another place where they are way behind the times.
      11-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #20
Ridered
Rep

I think I will wait a month or two to see if you guys get it all sorted. I kind of want to see what keis comes up with also but not a big fan of that key fob.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #21
silvercas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: One

the 2019 z4 has a remote start option. interesting
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #22
jeffthx
Private
Rep

Another update: After much effort on the installer's part, we both threw in the towel, and he removed the Viper system today. While it would work occasionally, it wouldn't consistently start the car. It would "wake" the car, and my phone would indicate that it started successfully, but in reality, the car didn't turn over at all. He tried different setup option combinations, but nothing could get it to work every time. Eventually, the car stopped responding to the Viper system. It was almost like the car was actively rejecting it (like a virus). On top of that, there was an unusually high draw on the battery that wasn't there before the system was installed. I can't say for certain yet whether the remote start system was causing it, but the battery voltage dropped below 11 after a few days of sitting undriven (brand new battery), and it needed to be jumped to turn over.

In the end, we decided that it was more trouble than it was worth, so he refunded my money and we gave up. Based on my experience, I would say that it's kind of a lost cause to try and put a remote starter on an Fxx, but maybe someone else out there can figure it out.

What kills me is that when I showed up to get the car, he had just finished putting in a remote starter into a 2014 X3 with a module that was made for that vehicle (he was "direct wiring" a solution for my car that wasn't based on an off-the-shelf module). Why some BMW models are able to have remote starters installed, but not others is a mystery to me. The argument about it being rooted in German/Euro law only makes sense if none of the models could be remote started, but we know that's not the case.

Ah, well, I guess I'll have a cold car waiting for me after my trips out of town. At least it doesn't get that cold in Minnesota (wait a minute...).

--Jeff
Appreciate 0