E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Used BMW - quality, longevity, warranty

07-12-2008, 02:36 AM   #1
Fuh Teng
Wishing I could buy a 335i
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: I don't have one

Used BMW - quality, longevity, warranty

Hi guys,

So yes, I'm drooling over the 335 (as you can tell from my picture, even if I'll probably get a sedan when I get to the US). But as this will be the first car I've bought, and I don't like the idea of $47,000 anything right off the bat, I am looking for experiences posters have had owning used BMWs.

Have you had problems with the engine, clutch (if a manual), transmission?
Have you had problems with the various electronic goodies? (I realize you can't do a 10 year test because a lot of them haven't been around that long.)
How long does the paint job last?
Did you get an extended warranty and how good a value was that?
What finally made you get rid of it?
What was the final value difference (what you paid - what you sold it for)?

Thanks everybody!

Fuh
      07-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

My 2008 328i became "used" the moment I drove it off the dealer's lot....

You might see a more useful sample size if you borrowed the April "Annual Auto Issue" of Consumer Reports from your library or purchased one of their used car guides at your local newsstand.

Based on hundreds of thousands of questionnaires from owners, there are a number of used BMW models and vintages that they recommend, beginning with the 1998 328i sedan in the $4000-$6000 price range.

You can subscribe to CR electronically. That might get you information faster.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/index.htm

In a nutshell, the bean-counters at Consumer Reports don't seem to think that buying a used BMW is necessarily throwing money into a black hole. Do get any potential purchase checked out by a mechanic who knows BMWs, a used BMW can be a dream or a nightmare -- buy one that will be a dream. Driving a used BMW will cost you more than driving a Camry or Accord, but there are some new "economy" cars that will probably cost you more because of depreciation.

My general goal with cars is to keep them long enough that I need to give them away, or have to pay someone to tow them away.

(For illustrative purposes only, that's not my rusty 2002, BTW.)
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0