F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > ConnectedDrive question plz :)
proTUNING Freaks

11-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6sp

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
ConnectedDrive question plz :)

Hey so l just finished doing an NBT retrofit/6WA which was awesome thanks to everybody on here btw, BUT now l have come across a question.

l was hoping to be able to use a TCB(black box) retrofit and replace my Telecommunication com-box (silvermetal) to unlock the other features of my NBT, to my understanding it is necessary to have a matching VIN between the TCB and the NBT to work.

So my questions is would it be possible to write the VIN of the TCB to the NBT (option codes match) and have it work just fine? l also understand that l have to change the pin out on the existing connection to the combox in the back.

If everything worked out it would read the matching vin from the NBT and all would be well lm assuming.

Thanks in advance,
Ethan
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightf30 View Post
Hey so l just finished doing an NBT retrofit/6WA which was awesome thanks to everybody on here btw, BUT now l have come across a question.

l was hoping to be able to use a TCB(black box) retrofit and replace my Telecommunication com-box (silvermetal) to unlock the other features of my NBT, to my understanding it is necessary to have a matching VIN between the TCB and the NBT to work.

So my questions is would it be possible to write the VIN of the TCB to the NBT (option codes match) and have it work just fine? l also understand that l have to change the pin out on the existing connection to the combox in the back.

If everything worked out it would read the matching vin from the NBT and all would be well lm assuming.

Thanks in advance,
Ethan
I'm actually doing the same thing. My tcb and nbt vins already match but it all should work as long as the vine match n the wiring is done correctly but my only issue is if the connected drive subscription is no longer valid how hard it would be to re new services. I already tried adding the vin to the app and it said I couldn't add it to my account but didn't try creating a new one. Waiting on my nbt to tcb wire to come in. Keep me updated and I'll do the same.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhnblckwood View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Ethan
I'm actually doing the same thing. My tcb and nbt vins already match but it all should work as long as the vine match n the wiring is done correctly but my only issue is if the connected drive subscription is no longer valid how hard it would be to re new services. I already tried adding the vin to the app and it said I couldn't add it to my account but didn't try creating a new one. Waiting on my nbt to tcb wire to come in. Keep me updated and I'll do the same.
Dang yea see l'm gonna bite he bullet and try it with you, the box is black for TCB right just wanna make sure l get the right one, and was pinout easy btw?? Man what are the odds l was just reading your post on another guys thread LOL see that's my concern though is there any way to see how long the connected drive service is gonna be valid for that TCB or if it's even valid because then that would be pointless for me l don't even know if theyd renew it even if l did fork the money
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Ethan
Dang yea see l'm gonna bite he bullet and try it with you, the box is black for TCB right just wanna make sure l get the right one, and was pinout easy btw?? Man what are the odds l was just reading your post on another guys thread LOL see that's my concern though is there any way to see how long the connected drive service is gonna be valid for that TCB or if it's even valid because then that would be pointless for me l don't even know if theyd renew it even if l did fork the money
What are the odds? That's funny. That actually happened a few times since I did multiple retrofits and been on this forum pretty heavy for the past almost two years but yes the black one is the tcb. When u change the vin in the nbt to match the tcb ur gonna need new fsc codes but if ur using an emulator it will b cheap, even free if u kno the rite ppl which I don't lol. I didn't do the wiring yet but it doesn't look that hard at all. As far as the subscription there is ppl on this forum that could tell u about ur subscription and maybe even help with getting it active but I don't see why bmw wouldn't re new it if need be since they'll be getting money out of it. But hopefully someone else can clear this up for us if not we taking the plunge together. Lol Goodluck!!
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Ethan
What are the odds? That's funny. That actually happened a few times since I did multiple retrofits and been on this forum pretty heavy for the past almost two years but yes the black one is the tcb. When u change the vin in the nbt to match the tcb ur gonna need new fsc codes but if ur using an emulator it will b cheap, even free if u kno the rite ppl which I don't lol. I didn't do the wiring yet but it doesn't look that hard at all. As far as the subscription there is ppl on this forum that could tell u about ur subscription and maybe even help with getting it active but I don't see why bmw wouldn't re new it if need be since they'll be getting money out of it. But hopefully someone else can clear this up for us if not we taking the plunge together. Lol Goodluck!!

Yea doesn't sound too bad, just curious why with an emulator would new fsc codes be needed though if the nbt had the matching option codes? (Rtti,609,etc.) and yea man thanks good luck to you too lL keep you updated
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Ethan

Yea doesn't sound too bad, just curious why with an emulator would new fsc codes be needed though if the nbt had the matching option codes? (Rtti,609,etc.) and yea man thanks good luck to you too lL keep you updated
Because when u change the vin in the nbt to match the tcb (since u can't change the vin in tcb, at least not easily) then ur fsc codes will b cancelled and u wount have Navigation, voice, or Sirius radio n maybe other things.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 10:32 PM   #7
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Ethan

Because when u change the vin in the nbt to match the tcb (since u can't change the vin in tcb, at least not easily) then ur fsc codes will b cancelled and u wount have Navigation, voice, or Sirius radio n maybe other things.
But the emulator is going to make it think that it it's still in the donor car though?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Ethan

But the emulator is going to make it think that it it's still in the donor car though?
Sorry I'm not quite sure what u mean. The emulator makes the car think the vins match. So it doesn't matter what vin u code ur nbt with, ur car will think it matches the vin of the car. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0