F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Advice on detailing
proTUNING Freaks

12-01-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

So the new car arrives soon and I have the Scottish winter to deal with.

Have never had a car protected or detailed before so looking for some advice on what sort of thing I should be getting? Consensus seems to be a new car detail of some sort and also sealing / protecting? Also does dakota leather need protecting from the onset? How much does all this tend to cost? Seen some people say £500 and some say £1200!

As always advice appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
TurboMark47
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G22 M sport coupe

The price seems to be dependant on what level of finish you want.
Single stage will correct obvious defects.
2 stage finish takes paintwork to around 85% I believe, you can then chase perfection at a cost ££££££.

Even brand new cars can have an awful finish especially if the dealer has washed it!

Also depends on your OCD-ness.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 07:43 AM   #3
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Tell the dealer not to wash it or touch it at all! Will be far less for a detailer to fix then and get a decent ceramic coating applied.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2018, 08:14 AM   #4
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

I thought about it when I got mine, I called a local company in Sheffield and they offered the below for new car detailing all for £240. You can pay thousands, but seems a little ridiculous to me.

In the end I didn't bother, I just not that fussy. If it looks good from ten yards away, I'm fine. I tend to wash a car myself for the first few months and then revert back to the local Eastern European hand car scratch.

At Reflective Desire Detailing, our goal is to help you to enjoy your new vehicle as it should be by preparing, detailing and protecting every aspect of the vehicle, as well as offering advice for future maintenance.

New Car Detail
Time: approx 8-10 hours | Cost: from £240
Transport film adhesive removed
Lower car, bumpers and arches degreased and power rinsed
Alloy wheels cleansed using an assortment of soft brushes and cleaners
Snow foam applied to exterior paint to gently lift dirt
Power rinsed
Paint hand washed using the two bucket method and high grade lambswool wash mitt
Paintwork de-contaminated using a clay mitt to remove all bonded surface fallout
Re-washed
Exterior dried using microfibre towels and a warm air blower
Any scratches are removed using the machine polisher
Carpro essence and Carpro reload used as a cleanser and sealant for the paintwork
Gyeon Q2 trim used on all exterior plastics
All glass cleaned and externally sealed with Carlack glass sealant
Alloys and chrome trim sealed with Gyeon Q2 rim
Interior and trim vacuumed and cleaned
Leather cleaned and sealed using mild detergents and Gtechniq L1 Leather Guard.
Upholstery and carpets treated with Gtechniq I1 sealant
All detailing work can be carried out at our premises at Dore in Sheffield, but if the vehicle needs to be detailed at your premises, a water tap and electricity supply will need to be available.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Dealer will sometimes let the detailer you appoint come and work on the car at the dealership before collection if you ask nicely.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #6
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I thought about it when I got mine, I called a local company in Sheffield and they offered the below for new car detailing all for £240. You can pay thousands, but seems a little ridiculous to me.

In the end I didn't bother, I just not that fussy. If it looks good from ten yards away, I'm fine. I tend to wash a car myself for the first few months and then revert back to the local Eastern European hand car scratch.

At Reflective Desire Detailing, our goal is to help you to enjoy your new vehicle as it should be by preparing, detailing and protecting every aspect of the vehicle, as well as offering advice for future maintenance.

New Car Detail
Time: approx 8-10 hours | Cost: from £240
Transport film adhesive removed
Lower car, bumpers and arches degreased and power rinsed
Alloy wheels cleansed using an assortment of soft brushes and cleaners
Snow foam applied to exterior paint to gently lift dirt
Power rinsed
Paint hand washed using the two bucket method and high grade lambswool wash mitt
Paintwork de-contaminated using a clay mitt to remove all bonded surface fallout
Re-washed
Exterior dried using microfibre towels and a warm air blower
Any scratches are removed using the machine polisher
Carpro essence and Carpro reload used as a cleanser and sealant for the paintwork
Gyeon Q2 trim used on all exterior plastics
All glass cleaned and externally sealed with Carlack glass sealant
Alloys and chrome trim sealed with Gyeon Q2 rim
Interior and trim vacuumed and cleaned
Leather cleaned and sealed using mild detergents and Gtechniq L1 Leather Guard.
Upholstery and carpets treated with Gtechniq I1 sealant
All detailing work can be carried out at our premises at Dore in Sheffield, but if the vehicle needs to be detailed at your premises, a water tap and electricity supply will need to be available.
Cheers. I've never been overly fussed but a) Scotland is brutal b) it's a black sapphire car
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

It depends what you want from detailing.

I looked at getting it done professionally, but struggled to justify the cost when I enjoy (yes I'm sad!) looking after my car.

Before I got shot done, spending the money on getting it done professionally will make the car look great. As a fellow Scotsman, I went down a cheaper (far less professional!) route.

In summary, I got my new car delivered untouched by the dealer. Washed it (2 buckets), clay mitt with detailing spray, another wash and wipe down. Then applied Chemical Guys Jet Seal (2 coats).

I wash my car every week and after 9 months finding it very easy to keep clean. I attach some pictures I have just taken after giving the car a very quick wash. All the Scottish dirt comes off easily! The body work continues to be very smooth.

May not be what you are after, but thought I would share this approach with you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
It depends what you want from detailing.

I looked at getting it done professionally, but struggled to justify the cost when I enjoy (yes I'm sad!) looking after my car.

Before I got shot done, spending the money on getting it done professionally will make the car look great. As a fellow Scotsman, I went down a cheaper (far less professional!) route.

In summary, I got my new car delivered untouched by the dealer. Washed it (2 buckets), clay mitt with detailing spray, another wash and wipe down. Then applied Chemical Guys Jet Seal (2 coats).

I wash my car every week and after 9 months finding it very easy to keep clean. I attach some pictures I have just taken after giving the car a very quick wash. All the Scottish dirt comes off easily! The body work continues to be very smooth.

May not be what you are after, but thought I would share this approach with you.
That looks superb and thanks for the advice! I'm not afraid to get going on it myself but need a starter for ten as I'm carrying an injury right now that reduces my abilities but I intend to wash it myself going forwards.

Probably once a month at best as I'm rubbish
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2766.50
      12-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #9
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueislander View Post
Cheers. I've never been overly fussed but a) Scotland is brutal b) it's a black sapphire car
a) I live on the edge of the Peaks and regularly commute across the Peak District and across the Snake Pass
b) Mine is black sapphire too

Which is why like you I considered it. But I knew my laziness would take over after a few months meaning I would have just wasted my money.

But, I understand on here there are many that do wash their car themselves all through ownership, in that case I'd definitely say it was worth it.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueislander View Post
a) I live on the edge of the Peaks and regularly commute across the Peak District and across the Snake Pass
b) Mine is black sapphire too

Which is why like you I considered it. But I knew my laziness would take over after a few months meaning I would have just wasted my money.

But, I understand on here there are many that do wash their car themselves all through ownership, in that case I'd definitely say it was worth it.
Lol the laziness is strong with me too
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2018, 03:06 AM   #11
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

If you are just going to use supermarket washing / sponge&bucket, then save your money

Proper aftercare washing means a jetwash and a proper wash routine. If you are prepared to do that, then a proprietary nano-technology top coat is the way forward (gtechniq, gyeon, etc). But that will likely be £7-900 and the car with the detailer for 5days. What these products do is help stop grime sticking to the car and so you need less contact with the paint to clean. It is the contact and small particles that cause the damage. Less contact = less damage.

or, do it yourself - how hard it is depends on the effort you want
1. Gyeon Wetcoat - spray on, jet wash off. job done. Lasts only a few weeks
2. Cancoat - spray on but needs car prepared first (de-tar / de-contaminate) . lasts 6month
3. Crystal serum / evo top coat type - like 2, but harder to apply. lasts over 1year. Will take you a full weekend to do this

It is a bit of a minefield out there - lots of products, lots of differing advice from people who want different things.

I have a £700 Gtecnhiq Crystal Serum Black application on the RS and it is WAY better than the home applied £90 Crystal Serum lite i did myself.

some reading here
https://gtechniq.com/service
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 04:05 AM   #12
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

In my case, i would do the detailing by myself. It's such a big reward when you see how beautifull your car is after detailing, made by your own efforts

For the interior i use the Swissvax products, which are not cheap at all. But they are totally worth theirs money. For the leather i clean it with Gyeon leather care and after i use the swissvax leather milk (250ml=39,99€). Outstanding combination

For the exterior, i'm not the kind of guy who uses ceramic coating. I'm more a waxing fan, but everybody's opinion is different. Ceramic coating are firstly not easy to apply (you need very good knowledge and skills about detailing). If you did one step wrong, it could fuck-up your coating. Second of all it's much work to take the ceramic coating off.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2766.50
      12-02-2018, 05:53 AM   #13
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

I had the same set of circumstances as you - Scotland & Black Sapphire. I had my car detailed before I took delivery. Not sure where you are but I ordered my car through Douglas Park in Stirling. Next door to them there's a detailer who completed a GTechnik new-car detail. Looked great, still has protection and was reasonably priced.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2018, 06:13 AM   #14
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Unless you're prepared to pay for a professional detailer to come and look after your car after the initial detail or have the time and patience to/interest in (and the kit) to do it yourself I'd wouldn't bother.

These are just normal cars that come free with orange peel paint and leather that looks like embossed plastic, spending £500-£1000 to "protect" the car with a tiny layer of ceramic coating that really isn't going to protect anything seems to me to be a waste of money.

If you want to detail the car yourself and enjoy the process then that's another story as it's a pastime many enjoy but paying someone thousands over the term of the rental seems a waste of money to me for daily duty car.
      12-02-2018, 06:20 AM   #15
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
I had the same set of circumstances as you - Scotland & Black Sapphire. I had my car detailed before I took delivery. Not sure where you are but I ordered my car through Douglas Park in Stirling. Next door to them there's a detailer who completed a GTechnik new-car detail. Looked great, still has protection and was reasonably priced.
I'm closer to Edinburgh but will ask about the detailer as I go that way occasionally.

Car is actually being picked up from North West so will have a good 150 miles on it before I get home
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #16
A15X
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d M sport Convertible

I’m in two minds about getting a full detail done with a ceramic coating, would be easier to clean and look after but on the other hand I don’t know how long I plan to keep the car...I would of owned it 2 years in April (half way thru the 4 year pcp) can VT at the 3 year point. I like the car (430d vert) but don’t love it like I loved my 987 boxster it replaced....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #17
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

I confess to being lazy as well, winter roads in Somerset are pretty muddy and wet. I washed the car with a mitt when I first got it using Duragloss 901 then used Duragloss 951 after it was rinsed and still wet whilst drying with a microfibre cloth. It’s really quick as the 951 is a drying agent (whatever that is) and leaves an 'aqua' shine which looks great. After that I can wash it with a hose and brush attached and apply 951 again whist wet using a microfibre cloth. Gives a lovely gloss and the dirt tends to come off easily with just a hose brush. Can be done in 20 mins. Use the 951 sparingly though as I've been told it can streak and might be visible on black paint. Admittedly I don’t spend much time on the wheels as I should do, just tend to use the brush with hose attached. I’m sure the detailers would poo poo my methods but works pour moi!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Rbrown2766.50