E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Pics of my first detail with a PC

07-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
blakjack23
Major
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Garage List
'06 325i  [0.00]
Pics of my first detail with a PC

After seeing all the results of everyones details I decided to drop some cash on some stuff and take a shot at it myself. I had lots of watermarks, spider-webbing and some scratches that were a few inches long and I would say I got 90% of it out and to me the finish just looks incredible. Unfortunately I was using a friends camera and didn't realize it was on video mode when I was taking all my before pics!!! I'm a damn Network Engineer and I didn't realize that! I still have the tape on because I'm expecting my Natty's Blue soon and I'm going to slap that on when it gets here. I also put on my new M3 spoiler

Washed with Armor All Ultra Shine Car Wash
Clayed with Meguiars bar
PC7424 with SIP on LC orange pad
PC7424 with 106 on LC white pad
Wiped down with 1:1 rubbing alcohol/distilled water mix
Sealed with JS109 on microfiber wrapped sponge
Removed JS with microfiber cloth after 12 hours
Another coat of JS109 applied and removed after an hour

You can see my beater/commuter/boat tow'r in the reflection. 215k, purrs like a kitten and chicks dig it! '95 Cutlass FTW!
Attached Images

'06 325i - AT (bite me!) - Jet Black - Black leatherette - Aluminum Trim - Blacklines - 189's - M3 Spoiler

Last edited by blakjack23; 07-15-2008 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
MONAX
MONAX
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i Jet Black

Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Very nice reflection shots, my favorite one is with the flag and the bike. What were your thoughts on the polishing process for the first time with the PC? Pretty straight forward?

Great work, now on to properly maintaining it after all of your hard work.

Cheers,

George
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
blakjack23
Major
Rep

Garage List
'06 325i  [0.00]
Thanks guys!

George, I ordered my polishes, sealant, applicator and pads from you. And it looks like my second order from you shipped out today too.....Natty's blue, more microfiber, tire gel, CG wash, wash mit and invisible glass. Everyone on here is right when they say it becomes an obsession. My friends think I'm nuts already and I'm just a beginner.

Yes, I thought the process was pretty straight forward. Although, I wasn't sure if I was suppose to put alot of pressure on the PC while polishing or just a small amount. So I basically did two/three passes on an area with a lot of pressure and then one/two passes with just a little pressure. I assume the pad should always be turning and if its not then you're putting too much pressure on the PC? I know I didn't get all the spider-webbing gone, but I'll get 'em next time!

'06 325i - AT (bite me!) - Jet Black - Black leatherette - Aluminum Trim - Blacklines - 189's - M3 Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
ubern00b
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

how long did the whole job take you?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
nj335i
Modaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Great job on the detail! I hope my car will look that good once I detail again this summer!

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

woooooooooow
what did you use
      07-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

oh
nvm
I need to read the thread before posting
lmao
      07-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
blakjack23
Major
Rep

Garage List
'06 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubern00b View Post
how long did the whole job take you?
I would say actual work time was like 7 or 8 hours. I was learning so I took my time. Next time I will definitely get done quicker.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjack23 View Post
Thanks guys!

George, I ordered my polishes, sealant, applicator and pads from you. And it looks like my second order from you shipped out today too.....Natty's blue, more microfiber, tire gel, CG wash, wash mit and invisible glass. Everyone on here is right when they say it becomes an obsession. My friends think I'm nuts already and I'm just a beginner.

Yes, I thought the process was pretty straight forward. Although, I wasn't sure if I was suppose to put alot of pressure on the PC while polishing or just a small amount. So I basically did two/three passes on an area with a lot of pressure and then one/two passes with just a little pressure. I assume the pad should always be turning and if its not then you're putting too much pressure on the PC? I know I didn't get all the spider-webbing gone, but I'll get 'em next time!
Thank you for your continued support, it's greatly appreciated!

Regarding the pressure on the PC, sounds like you got it right. The ideal zone is as much pressure as possible, just shy of bogging the PC down and preventing the pad from spinning. You should be running at speed 5 or 6. Also, in the future, if you're looking to get more cut (which should lead to better results) try shrinking your work area down to something like 12" x 12" and giving it more like 6 ~ 8 passes. It's pretty common that newer detailers try to detail in too large of an area, and the polish dries up quicker and your work time is cut down significantly.

If you end up removing 85 - 90% of the imperfections, you're doing a great job. Using a PC will limit your results to some extent since it doesn't have as much power as a Flex or a rotary buffer, but at the same time, less power is what makes it such a safe machine for anyone to use. You can also toy with the idea of going to a more aggressive polish / pad combo for more bite to rid the deeper spiderwebbing. Another option is to do multiple coats of the same product, each pass you do will help even out the clear coat more and more, it's just a matter of how long it takes to get the results you're looking for.

If you have any other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks again for your support, car is looking sharp!

George
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

More pics of the poster in the trunk reflection!

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
blakjack23
Major
Rep

Garage List
'06 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Thank you for your continued support, it's greatly appreciated!

Also, in the future, if you're looking to get more cut (which should lead to better results) try shrinking your work area down to something like 12" x 12" and giving it more like 6 ~ 8 passes. It's pretty common that newer detailers try to detail in too large of an area, and the polish dries up quicker and your work time is cut down significantly.

George
Yup, I think you're right. I did pretty large areas at once. For example, I split my drivers door into only two parts and hood into four parts.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #13
blakjack23
Major
Rep

Garage List
'06 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz335 View Post
More pics of the poster in the trunk reflection!
I'll see what I can do My buddy who rented from me put that up and when he left I never felt the need to take it down Unfortunately the only place left in the garage for my rod rack was right there and I had to cover up her fun box

Last edited by blakjack23; 07-15-2008 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0