BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Stab-il can I drive the car with it in now. Changed my mind on storage

12-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #1
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Stab-il can I drive the car with it in now. Changed my mind on storage

Hey everyone,

As the title says... I stored the car November 18 with fuel stabilizer and now, December 19 I've changed my mind and want to drive the car over the coarse of the winter.

Is it ok to drive with fresh fuel stabilizer in it?

Greg
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 04:53 AM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

The manufacturer is probably the best place to ask.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #3
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Contacting the manufacturer seems like the best idea. Having said that, it seems crazy that a fuel stabilizer would render gas unsafe for use until a specific time has elapsed, and that elapsed time is documented nowhere. Especially given how common its use is in small engines, where people (like myself) mix some into fresh gas then immediately use it all season long in a lawn tractor or snowblower or whatever.

From the Stabil site:

Quote:
Usage Directions:

Use STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer in any gasoline-powered vehicle or equipment you plan to store for 30-days or longer. keeps the fuel fresh for up to 24 months during storage
I don't this there's any reason to assume this implies "don't use it for the first 30 days"
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

The site does also mention dosing the tank and then running the engine to make sure the fuel in the lines through to the injectors is protected too.

Although how the volatile elements are going to degrade in there is an interesting point.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09 View Post
Hey everyone,

As the title says... I stored the car November 18 with fuel stabilizer and now, December 19 I've changed my mind and want to drive the car over the coarse of the winter.

Greg
Same thing happened to me. Put the baby to sleep in October with a healthy dose of Stabil. Decided to drive it in November. Fresh tank of gas and more Stabil and it was back to sleep. Ended up taking the car out last weekend for another 50 miles. Car ran 100% fine. I put Stabil in every gas engine I own....generators, snowblower, ATV's, and my trucks.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSean View Post
Contacting the manufacturer seems like the best idea. Having said that, it seems crazy that a fuel stabilizer would render gas unsafe for use until a specific time has elapsed, and that elapsed time is documented nowhere. Especially given how common its use is in small engines, where people (like myself) mix some into fresh gas then immediately use it all season long in a lawn tractor or snowblower or whatever.

From the Stabil site:

Quote:
Usage Directions:

Use STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer in any gasoline-powered vehicle or equipment you plan to store for 30-days or longer. keeps the fuel fresh for up to 24 months during storage
I don't this there's any reason to assume this implies "don't use it for the first 30 days"
Thanks so much
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09 View Post
Hey everyone,

Greg
Same thing happened to me. Put the baby to sleep in October with a healthy dose of Stabil. Decided to drive it in November. Fresh tank of gas and more Stabil and it was back to sleep. Ended up taking the car out last weekend for another 50 miles. Car ran 100% fine. I put Stabil in every gas engine I own....generators, snowblower, ATV's, and my trucks.
Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one. It always sounds easy to " just put it away for the winter" but executing this is incredibly hard.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
The site does also mention dosing the tank and then running the engine to make sure the fuel in the lines through to the injectors is protected too.

Although how the volatile elements are going to degrade in there is an interesting point.
Yup that's what I did. Thanks for the reply
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #9
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Check this out - from their "myths debunked" page

Quote:

Is it ok to use your product all the Time even when it’s not being stored?

mtaylor | Jan 29, 2018 at 10:44am

Hi Richard, yes – STA-BIL is ok to use all year round. For storing equipment/vehicles, we would recommend using STA-BIL Storage (red). Then, when your equipment/vehicle is being used every day or regularly, we would recommend STA-BIL 360 Performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #10
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSean View Post
Check this out - from their "myths debunked" page

Quote:

Is it ok to use your product all the Time even when it's not being stored?

mtaylor | Jan 29, 2018 at 10:44am

Hi Richard, yes â€" STA-BIL is ok to use all year round. For storing equipment/vehicles, we would recommend using STA-BIL Storage (red). Then, when your equipment/vehicle is being used every day or regularly, we would recommend STA-BIL 360 Performance.
Interesting. Well the good thing is I resisted temptation and it will be stored until April.
Appreciate 0