E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 328xi valve cover change. Now rough idle and whining

12-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
Ironhead Dave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i X-drive

2011 328xi valve cover change. Now rough idle and whining

I just changed the valve cover gasket on my N52. The car was running fine before the work. It just had an oil burning smell. I have done this recently to my other 328xi so I am not a stranger to the job. Anyway, everything went smoothly but when I went for a test drive, it started idling very rough and making a loud whining noise from under the hood. I read some forums that said it may be the valvetronic motor needed recalibrated. I figured that was it because I just put it back in and slowly tightened down alternating side to side like i did my last car. So I did the turn on the ignition, pumped the accelerator, etc. nothing. I watched a video on changing the motor and followed the process using the screw on the back of the motor. Still no luck. I thought maybe an air leak from the gasket not seating correctly so I tore it all back down an took extra precaution to make sure it was seated and double checked that all bolts were torqued to spec in case I missed one. I also took time to make sure all electrical connections were clean. No luck. Same condition. The valvetronic motor does seem like it is very hot. I do not know how it is normally. The CEL does not come on right away but did eventually. I plugged in my reader and it says that there are no faults stored. I also cannot turn off the CEL using my reader. I am out of ideas.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
thomas88162
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Probably pinched the gasket. Easily done on the tight squeeze in. Check the passenger side by the firewall, usually where it happens. If you're sure everything is leak free, sounds like you need more diagnostics on the CEL.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
Ironhead Dave
Private First Class
Rep

So for giggles I tried the reader again. This time it gave 6 pending errors. Multiple random misfires and misfires on all cylinders except #1.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
thomas88162
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Its good to have codes, but at this point the only thing they are telling you is that you have multiple misfires. You truly need to either A) Double, triple, etc. check your work. OR B) you need more diagnostic capability at your disposal. If you do not know how to access this, your best bet is taking it to the dealer for further diagnostics. Re-learning the valvetronic is only properly done through a high level diagnostics tool anyways, and thats only IF thats the problem. Which honestly I doubt its the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 10:01 PM   #5
Ironhead Dave
Private First Class
Rep

I pulled the cover again just for my curiosity and the gasket was seated fine. I wonder if my eccentric shaft sensor is bad? I have no way at this point to get to a dealer. The closest one is about 35 miles away. I have read about some better code readers that are bmw specific. Is there a particular one that is better or a ‘type’ that I need?
Appreciate 0