BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-30-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quick X3 28d test drive

Spotted one in a non-BMW dealer so my wife and I thought we would take a look. First thing is that the interior is about the same as a F30 but with more glass and a slightly more upright driving position. It all looked pretty familiar.

Started the thing and was immediately struck by the lack of vibration. Isolation is better than our 328d. Makes me wonder about our engine mounts now. Our F30 isn't bad by any means, and is vastly suprior to the XE diesel I had as a loaner one time. That was a vibro-massage special if you kept in in D at a light.

Out on the road the X3 felt lower geared or hung on to revs longer than the F30. No surprise with the extra weight. It was mostly smooth except for an odd resonance passing through 37-40 mph at certain accelerator positions. It didn't do it if I featherfooted the go pedal or when slowing down. Perhaps certain revs and power settings set up something in the driveline. My wife said she didn't really notice, so maybe I'm just being Mr Picky.

The ride I can't really judge as the roads near the dealer are pretty good and there wasn't much fuel available. Steering was accurate and all the electrics seemed good. Did a quick U-turn at one spot as was surprised at the car's agility.

The only downsides were the halogen lights and that I couldn't immediately see the coolant reservoir. Given the current EGR cooler issue, that's not good.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

On my 2015, the coolant reservoir is on top. But requires a flashlight to check.

Over the last couple years, I've had a slow leak where I have to add a 1/2 cup occasionally. I kind of alternate between Antifreeze and distilled water. I'm assuming now that if it had been this EGR thing, something would have come up over the last couple years.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:23 AM   #3
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
I was provided a X3 28i loaner while my X3 diesel was in for it's first 10K oil change and instantly noticed that, in suburban driving, my diesel seemed much zippier. Since you're already own a diesel owner, your familiar with its low-end torque, but I think the engine works well in the X3. Thus far, my '16, with 35k miles, has not lost any coolant or experienced any other issues. I'd say the X3 diesel is excellent on secondary roads and interstates at legal limits (O/A 70-75 mph), but clearly it's no high-speed cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

With how fuel prices have been lower over the last several years, I at times wish I had just gone with the 6 cylinder version. The power is nice, as I've seen on loaners. The main downside, aside from higher fuel costs, is a lower range between fill ups.

I don't know what I'll want to do when I next buy a vehicle. Another BMW? There are issues when there is no local dealerships.
Appreciate 0