2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Really want to like the F10 but its now making this crackling noise on cold starts!

01-16-2019, 01:07 AM   #1
tek1v
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Alpine White

Really want to like the F10 but its now making this crackling noise on cold starts!

Ok I've had this car for about a month now and I've noticed this crackling sound coming from the passenger side that is pretty loud on cold starts. Once the car warms up after a few minutes it goes away... It sounds like a loud Geiger counter that just detecting some high concentration of radiation in the movies...Car drives perfectly so this is getting sort of annoying and just about to give up on this car...

Some forums/posts state the noise is from the exhaust, Wastegate, tensioner etc. There was a video of a tensioner that was posted that sort of sounded similar but the dealer just replaced it and the sound is still there. What are your thoughts guys as to what could be causing this noise?

Also does anyone know of any good BMW mechanics in the orange county area that is really good at troubleshooting? I have a 6 month warranty through autonation but they are stating that the sound is normal for a car of this age. 2012 535i w 60k miles....

Sorry for rant guys but any guidance would be much appreciated..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
335socal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe

Go to dose inc. and look for brandon. Tell him angelo with 550i referred you. Authorized dinan and zf trans.

Last edited by 335socal; 01-17-2019 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
tek1v6.00
      01-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

You can put car on plastic ramps and crawl underneath to see where the noise is coming from, should be easy to diagnose.
Appreciate 1
tek1v6.00
      01-17-2019, 08:54 PM   #4
335socal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek1v View Post
Ok I've had this car for about a month now and I've noticed this crackling sound coming from the passenger side that is pretty loud on cold starts. Once the car warms up after a few minutes it goes away... It sounds like a loud Geiger counter that just detecting some high concentration of radiation in the movies...Car drives perfectly so this is getting sort of annoying and just about to give up on this car...

Some forums/posts state the noise is from the exhaust, Wastegate, tensioner etc. There was a video of a tensioner that was posted that sort of sounded similar but the dealer just replaced it and the sound is still there. What are your thoughts guys as to what could be causing this noise?

Also does anyone know of any good BMW mechanics in the orange county area that is really good at troubleshooting? I have a 6 month warranty through autonation but they are stating that the sound is normal for a car of this age. 2012 535i w 60k miles....

Sorry for rant guys but any guidance would be much appreciated..
Do this.. open your bottom shield where the jack point is at behind the wheel and disconnect your valve block power supply and see if it will go away.
Appreciate 0