BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Headlight for UK model

01-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Newbie0704
Rep
Drives: 530 m sport

Headlight for UK model

Hi all the gurus,

I will be getting my G30 m sport next wed and looking forward to the ride after reading so many good stuff about the car.

As my model is a UK model and imported into my country. I understand UK transport regulation is headlight has to be on regardless of the time but this regulation doesn't apply in my country.

Is the any way to disable the function and set auto as auto on when the surrounding is dark and not default on throughout?

Thanks in advance!

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #2
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

You would have to have one of the people who code give you a exact answer but I'm pretty sure you can because that is the way the US cars work. Driving lights on all the time but headlights only at night. Just don't lose the EU no-dazzle and VLD features. Wish we could get them approved here. .
      01-19-2019, 01:35 AM   #3
350doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d M Sport Touring X-Drive

U.K. law does not require headlights to be on all the time. I have a G31 due for delivery in March but in my current F30, the daytime running lights are always on, but the headlights only come on (when set to Auto) when it is dark.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 01:39 AM   #4
Newbie0704
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350doc View Post
U.K. law does not require headlights to be on all the time. I have a G31 due for delivery in March but in my current F30, the daytime running lights are always on, but the headlights only come on (when set to Auto) when it is dark.
Oh really? My friend who 520 is also imported from UK mentioned this. In that case I will wait till I get my ride. Am thinking of getting BimmerCode to change to alpina setting.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 03:43 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yes you will have to go down the coding route. My previous f10 had the option to disable dry in the idrive but the g30 no longer has that option, it might be possible to code back that option possibly allowing you to turn off?(recent coder will need to answer that)
Also on my 2017 U.K. g30 the headlights will turn on if dark even when the headlight switch is in the O position. Presumably to stop people accidentally driving around at night with just dela in which I'm sure we've all seen from time to time
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
Martin30x
Private
Rep
Drives: 540i xdrive

There is one thing dosent work, icon adaptive headlights when you change from right hand to left hand drive on uk spec. When I was abroad (i have uk spec 540i with icon adaptive headlights). No more fancy high beam lights that move, switch off and on etc

The will work like a standard one (on/off) on auto.

I think beacuse of sensors that are calibrated to right hand drive side.

Enjoy your new

** alpina dials are nice. On mine are getting brighter/darker itself. You can override this with knob manually.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin30x View Post
There is one thing dosent work, icon adaptive headlights when you change from right hand to left hand drive on uk spec. When I was abroad (i have uk spec 540i with icon adaptive headlights). No more fancy high beam lights that move, switch off and on etc

The will work like a standard one (on/off) on auto.

I think beacuse of sensors that are calibrated to right hand drive side.

Enjoy your new

** alpina dials are nice. On mine are getting brighter/darker itself. You can override this with knob manually.
I've tried this myself. The option seems to move the headlight beam direction (when stationary) but are you saying, once on the move the headlights are no longer turn with the steering wheel?? If so, that sucks!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #8
Martin30x
Private
Rep

I mean "high beam" aka "the long lights". Icon adaptive lights. If you getting them. High beam will loose its functionality if you change in car settings from right to left hand drive.

When car itself switch for example left light off but keep right on and switch right to right side. So the oncoming car dosent get blind.

Or when you travelling behind car the high beam (long lights) spread light where left high beam goes to left and right high beam goes to right.

All this functions will stop working.

The normal lights that follow steering wheel, will work.
Appreciate 1
kitster541.00
      01-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #9
Newbie0704
Rep

Glad to hear the UK version headlights r not always on..

In u guys opinion, what are the few stuff which u think is necessary to decode?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #10
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin30x View Post
I mean "high beam" aka "the long lights". Icon adaptive lights. If you getting them. High beam will loose its functionality if you change in car settings from right to left hand drive.

When car itself switch for example left light off but keep right on and switch right to right side. So the oncoming car dosent get blind.

Or when you travelling behind car the high beam (long lights) spread light where left high beam goes to left and right high beam goes to right.

All this functions will stop working.

The normal lights that follow steering wheel, will work.
Shamefully I haven't switched on the icon high beam assist feature. I had it on my previous F31 with adaptive xenon's, freaking nightmare, forever getting flashed.

Also the variable light distribution was always throwing the light too high/forward. The poor soul in front of me must of thought I had my main beams on.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
Martin30x
Private
Rep

Maybe twice ive got flashed in g30. (It was a bad weather) maybe camera sensor did not see car in front fast enough.

In audi ive been flashed often. It works much better. Faster, looks like dosent blind people in g30.

I am really happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I don't do a ton of night driving but I have not been flashed once in 13 months.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #13
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530D

The High Beam Assist on my G30 with Icon Style lights is much more better and quicker than the LEDs I had on the F10. They have improved the reaction and sensitivity of the lights. I've not been flashed at all in the F10 or G30.
Appreciate 0