BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Battery discharge warning

02-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
bmwizgoat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 sti

Battery discharge warning

When I bought the vehicle, I remember the salesmen showing me a plug in on the lower part of the front grill near the little intake for the radiator. In the manual though all I see yo charge up the battery is to plug it right onto the battery terminal. Anybody used that plug in point for charging their car ?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:45 AM   #2
FD777
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

The manual states, "In the vehicle, only charge the battery via the starting aid terminals, refer to page 247, in the engine compartment with the engine off."
It does not say to charge directly via the battery terminals in the trunk. That would bypass BMW's IBS (intelligent battery sensor) and you don't want that. There might be safety reasons as well. Also, I don't know of any plug to charge the battery.

Reference: 2019 M2 Competition Owners Manual
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
///Mē
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwizgoat View Post
When I bought the vehicle, I remember the salesmen showing me a plug in on the lower part of the front grill near the little intake for the radiator. In the manual though all I see yo charge up the battery is to plug it right onto the battery terminal. Anybody used that plug in point for charging their car ?
Are you sure it's not a block heater, M2's don't come with any external plugs to charge batteries.