BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-06-2019, 11:05 PM   #1
bubbleboy
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Just bought F25 upgrade(?) from e83 - Thoughts

I just bought a ’13 F25 35i M-sport after having a ’08 e83 M-sport for 5 years and 100k but it was getting to be a drain on the $$. (Loved it tho)

This might be TL;DR but I’ve read a lot of threads so far and there doesn’t seem to be a single post describing my gripe.

The N55 motor is obviously more powerful than the N52 and that’s nice, but the acceleration delay is noticeable. Tradeoff of naturally aspirated vs. turbo. Plus the F25 is like 2-300 lbs heavier (just guessing)

The biggest difference is the suspension and steering. The e83 was quite stiffly sprung as was controversial given what I’ve read from past forums. I liked it though as it stuck in corners like a SUV shouldn’t have.

The steering is VERY different. The e83 was dead straight and had a minute amount of play if any in the steering. I assumed the F25 would be just the same, or better. Nay!
The steering has at least a cm or two of play when in corners and on the highway at speed, which is not great imo - I feel like I’m chasing it around (a girlfriend had a Volvo with this kind of play in the steering and I had her get rid of that sh%% and get an Audi).

I was quite befuddled as I expected more from BMW. I know that the German buying public is quite particular about their cars and what makes this brand a high bar in performance and tech. I am surprised that Germans could buy this car and get on the Autobahn and be Ok with this kind of wiggly and insecure steering. Yes, they are made in S. Carolina but the standards should be the same, no?
I live in a snowy state and the wiggly steering in the slippery stuff is quite disconcerting. The e83 was a champ in the snow and I could drive the way I wanted in the snow. Not so right now to be honest.

In my reading here, there have been issues with the steering rack. If I read correctly, I should have the updated version though. I know that the electronic assist is different and perhaps thats the whole deal and nothing I can do. It does get better in Sport mode, about 50%, but still not like the previous generation.
I do have the Pirelli Sotto Zero run-flats and that could the issue too, I will get regular tires when these go and see.

If there’s anyone here with the same experience and especially any fixes that they’ve had work, I’m all ears. Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 1
Crassus229.00
      02-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335

First off, how many miles are on it? If it has 50k+ and you haven't replaced the front control arm bushings yet, you need to. 80k+ and you need to replace the struts/shocks and upper strut mounts.

The F25 has electric steering. It will never feel as good as the E83 as that had hydraulic steering that was much heavier and more communicative. The price we pay for .08% better gas mileage I guess. You'll get used to it.
Appreciate 2
scostu1623.00
      02-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
The price we pay for .08% better gas mileage I guess. You'll get used to it.

sooooo true
      02-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleboy View Post
I just bought a ’13 F25 35i M-sport after having a ’08 e83 M-sport for 5 years and 100k but it was getting to be a drain on the $$. (Loved it tho)

This might be TL;DR but I’ve read a lot of threads so far and there doesn’t seem to be a single post describing my gripe.

The N55 motor is obviously more powerful than the N52 and that’s nice, but the acceleration delay is noticeable. Tradeoff of naturally aspirated vs. turbo. Plus the F25 is like 2-300 lbs heavier (just guessing)

The biggest difference is the suspension and steering. The e83 was quite stiffly sprung as was controversial given what I’ve read from past forums. I liked it though as it stuck in corners like a SUV shouldn’t have.

The steering is VERY different. The e83 was dead straight and had a minute amount of play if any in the steering. I assumed the F25 would be just the same, or better. Nay!
The steering has at least a cm or two of play when in corners and on the highway at speed, which is not great imo - I feel like I’m chasing it around (a girlfriend had a Volvo with this kind of play in the steering and I had her get rid of that sh%% and get an Audi).

I was quite befuddled as I expected more from BMW. I know that the German buying public is quite particular about their cars and what makes this brand a high bar in performance and tech. I am surprised that Germans could buy this car and get on the Autobahn and be Ok with this kind of wiggly and insecure steering. Yes, they are made in S. Carolina but the standards should be the same, no?
I live in a snowy state and the wiggly steering in the slippery stuff is quite disconcerting. The e83 was a champ in the snow and I could drive the way I wanted in the snow. Not so right now to be honest.

In my reading here, there have been issues with the steering rack. If I read correctly, I should have the updated version though. I know that the electronic assist is different and perhaps thats the whole deal and nothing I can do. It does get better in Sport mode, about 50%, but still not like the previous generation.
I do have the Pirelli Sotto Zero run-flats and that could the issue too, I will get regular tires when these go and see.

If there’s anyone here with the same experience and especially any fixes that they’ve had work, I’m all ears. Thanks for reading.

What subieworx said...... and ditch the runflats.
      02-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #5
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
as for the throttle response, either drive in sport mode all the time or get something like the "sprint booster" to adjust the throttle response.

Tunes are another option to sharpen the performance. And an upgrade to the diverter valve (DV+) may improve things as well, I haven't tried that...yet.

I do like the AfE intake on mine, helps it breath a little better.

There is a transmission tune coming out for the F25 in the next few months as well.

As others have said, get rid of the run flats, make sure the tires are properly inflated, and do any maintenance to the suspension that is needed.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
as for the throttle response, either drive in sport mode all the time or get something like the "sprint booster" to adjust the throttle response.

Tunes are another option to sharpen the performance. And an upgrade to the diverter valve (DV+) may improve things as well, I haven't tried that...yet.

I do like the AfE intake on mine, helps it breath a little better.

There is a transmission tune coming out for the F25 in the next few months as well.

As others have said, get rid of the run flats, make sure the tires are properly inflated, and do any maintenance to the suspension that is needed.
I have a N20 and upgraded to GoFastBits DV+ and FTP charge and boost pipes..
..throttle lag is non-existent now.

Also running a JB1 tuner.

Last edited by scostu; 02-09-2019 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
Bufalo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I had an E83 3.0si and moved to an F25 35i M Sport - your assessment is pretty spot on. The newer car is better in most every way, but the old X3 was more rewarding to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:19 AM   #8
thefys
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2.8i

I also moved from a 2006 E83 3.0si to at F25 2018 2.8 - [personally i much prefer the F25]
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #9
bubbleboy
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Thanks for the advice folks.

I bought a JB+ and it is a lot better, like it should have been from factory- most of the time. It sometimes pulls really well and sometimes it just revs up to 4k without much strength. odd. Perhaps the DV+ will do the trick on that??

I'm fairly certain non run-flats will cure 75% of my steering woes.

I'm curious about the transmission update. How does one get notified about that?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
Bufalo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Non-run-flat tires transformed the ride and handling of our F25. I installed a JB stage 1 and it made a nice difference. Unsure about transmission updates, but our MY'17 car may have already had them done as a factor of being newer.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #11
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Get decent tires and then repost your experience - although RF tires are better now compared to what was available a few years ago they still are not in same league as regular tires in any respect: ride, handling, you name it, runflats pretty much ruin the drivability of any car.

. Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 06:16 AM   #12
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

get yourself a GOOD quality air compressor and some tire plugs.

it can be very useful, since most tire flats are caused by nails/screw/metal parts. Of course, its useless on a exploded tire...

Appreciate 0