F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Strange interior light behavior (coding issue maybe?)
Studio RSR

02-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Strange interior light behavior (coding issue maybe?)

So, this is going to sound rediculous, but i think i just recently that my car has some bizaare behavior with the interior lights, footwell, and door card strips.

I have an msport with the interior lighting package, so i have the option in my NBT_EVO to set from sport to classic with the interior lights. I have always kept the option on sport because i liked the white on the door cards.

One thing that always bothered me was that the footwell lights were so very dim...almost nonexistant, but i figured w/e it is what it is.

Last night i installed the LCI AC trim with the led lighting. I also got a Y cable to run to the driver side footwell light since i dont have the cupholder LED.

Once everything was wired up, i noticed that the trim didn't light up in the white sport color. Wierd.... so i went back and set the mode back to Classic, and it lit up red. The strange thing though, was man the footwell lights were so bright ... so i had to dim the ambient light setting.

Confused yet? just wait..

Today i was leaving work, and i decided to flip between classic and sport again. When i went back to classic, i realized something else since it was so dark out.... the freaking door lights light up too!! As if my door was open (dome lights stay off). It makes sense now why the footwell lights were so bright ... when i flip to classic mode, the footwell and door act as if the doors are open.

So i thought, ok maybe i fubarred something when i was coding. I fired up esys, and did a 'code' to FEM_BODY to get it back to original (restoring my soft touch blinker count, rear fog). No dice, same behavior.

wtf is going on lol

Last edited by paimon.soror; 02-07-2019 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 01:30 AM   #2
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Did you try to unplug the AC trim?

this is the issue. your footwell lights are 4 pin connector with 4 wires. the lci trim is probably a 3 pin connector with 3 wires or a 4 pin connector with 3 wire.

lci pinout:

pin1 earth
pin2 ambient 1 (orange)
pin3 ambient 2 (white)

Footwell

Pin1 earth
Pin2 door open
Pin3 ambient 1 (orange)
Pin4 ambient 2 (white)

Check the y-cable. i think that the pinout is wrong so its messing with everything

Last edited by gizmo1908; 02-08-2019 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
Rebound152.50
      02-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Bah, color me stupid, looks like it WAS the wiring harness. Looks like they joined the middle two wires together !?!. Should have looked closer. They went from 4 pin to 3 pin, but instead of omitting pin2, they joined it with pin 3. smh
      02-08-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
Bah, color me stupid, looks like it WAS the wiring harness. Looks like they joined the middle two wires together !?!. Should have looked closer. They went from 4 pin to 3 pin, but instead of omitting pin2, they joined it with pin 3. smh
nice, i installed my panel just yesterday and it looks amazing. i didnt get the oem one. but the light output is great.
Appreciate 0