BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

07-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
james rebenar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 545

shudder due to carbon

I bought a 2004 545 with 54,000 miles less than a year ago. It has 100,000 warranty. It has been back 4 times. At present, when stopped in drive or reverse, (A/T), with foot on brake, it jerks and wants to take off. Even with brake on, it still manages to jerk hard. Turn on the A/C and it is even worse. Can't parallel park or park in tight quarters in garage for fear of hitting something. Only premium gas used. Surge big time. Dealer keeps saying carbon problem and has added additive to tank, but has gotten worse. Now dealer wants to decarbonize for over $300 at my expense. Is this a common problem? How often should I expect to have to put up with this? Do all makes of large luxury sedans have this problem? Should I expect to have to pay for this even though I'm using the recommended fuel?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Go buy yourself a can or two of Seafoam at the local auto parts store. It will cost you about $8 a can. Add one to your oil (You'll need to get your oil changed after using) and also add one to about a half tank of gas. Start your car, it will most likely hesitate a bit so keep the RPM's steady at idle. Go on a short drive. You may want to take backroads as your car will literally smoke out the street for the first 3-5 miles or so. Have your oil changed after your drive (I would likely drive 20-25 miles of length) and then use the remaining gas in the tank until you're effectively empty. Fill up with premium gas and you should have effectively cleaned your car of any carbon buildup. That will cost you about $60 overall including the oil change, about 30 minutes, and a little embarassment for having a "smoky old car" for a few miles.

Much worth the $250 savings. If the problem persists it is not due to carbon buildup.