BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Evasion Assist evaded?

So my wife was driving the new 40i, which she's still learning about. We came to an intersection to turn left. She was a little distracted with some feature, lost a bit of situational awareness, and didn't realize the left turn arrow was red. She started to turn left into oncoming traffic. The car hauled up and stopped, sharp.

Now my wife was pretty shocked that she'd made such a mistake. What we can't figure out is if she hit the brakes reflexively, or if the evasion assist did it all. She really can't recall as it all happened so quickly and her foot ended up on the brake quickly too.

Does anyone know if the evasion assist would work in this sort of situation? If the answer is yes, then it really saved our bacon, because I really don't think she hit the brakes.

If no, I'm gonna have to think about telling her, because I don't want it to go to her head how quick her reflexes were. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Urban Traffic Assist Info (from BMW TIS). She should have heard an audible warning and a visual alert (see#6):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ems/1VnYWWeo16

The stereo camera monitors the area in front of the vehicle. The stereo camera uses image processing to detect every vehicle (passenger cars, trucks, motorbikes) within visual range, including stationary vehicles. Based on the positions, distances and relative speeds calculated, the warning is output or braking is triggered.

This function warns the driver of critical collision situations and thus prevents rear-end collisions. The brakes are also applied automatically at speeds between 3 and 60 km/h, which reduces the consequences of an accident. Accidents can be avoided up to a speed differential of approx. 18 km/h. The function is available during both day and night.

The collision warning is emitted in two stages. The first stage (pre-warning) shows the warning symbol in the instrument cluster (KOMBI). The symbol flashes in the 2nd stage (acute warning). Additionally there is an acoustic warning.

Both stages can be switched on or off using the assist system operating facility. The function is always available when the vehicle is started. The pre-warning can be set on the central information display (early, medium, late). Shortly before a collision the brakes are applied automatically with a medium brake force in order to reduce the severity of the impact.

When an acute warning is output, the brakes are prepared to deliver emergency braking as quickly as possible.

1 - Overtaking ban display, road sign recognition
2 - Display: collision warning
3 - Speed limit display
4 - Lane departure warning display
5 - High-beam assistant display
6 - Urban traffic accident prevention
7 - Preventive pedestrian protection

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
Doc5513454.50
      06-09-2022, 02:26 PM   #3
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsWhaHaeWi View Post
So my wife was driving the new 40i, which she's still learning about. We came to an intersection to turn left. She was a little distracted with some feature, lost a bit of situational awareness, and didn't realize the left turn arrow was red. She started to turn left into oncoming traffic. The car hauled up and stopped, sharp.

Now my wife was pretty shocked that she'd made such a mistake. What we can't figure out is if she hit the brakes reflexively, or if the evasion assist did it all. She really can't recall as it all happened so quickly and her foot ended up on the brake quickly too.

Does anyone know if the evasion assist would work in this sort of situation? If the answer is yes, then it really saved our bacon, because I really don't think she hit the brakes.

If no, I'm gonna have to think about telling her, because I don't want it to go to her head how quick her reflexes were. :-)
That happened to me, in a rain storm. A car came from the side that I did not see. It was the car. I never hit the brakes