BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

07-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Audi keeps V8 for RS4 and RS5

Interesting piece of news if true.... At what I suspect is the height of the current "fuel crisis" Audi still plans to use V8's in the RS4 and RS5. While many here speculate that BMW will go back to a six, Audi on the other hand is sticking to the eight. And without forced induction as predicted months ago....

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/28/a...5-to-keep-v8s/

Jason
      07-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Interesting piece of news if true.... At what I suspect is the height of the current "fuel crisis" Audi still plans to use V8's in the RS4 and RS5. While many here speculate that BMW will go back to a six, Audi on the other hand is sticking to the eight. And without forced induction as predicted months ago....

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/28/a...5-to-keep-v8s/

Jason

Thanks goodness, this will force BMW's hand to stick with naturally aspirated engine for the ///M cars.
      07-29-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

This doesn't surprise me - it would have been difficult for Audi to reliably extract the 450HP or so horsepower it needs to compete/better the M3 Coupe from a 3.0L supercharged engine.

450HP from the current 4.2L mill is certainly attainable, with the extra drive train losses it would probably put in on a par in terms of straight line performance with the M3...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
M3 LUST
Banned
Rep
Drives: -

I just read in R&T that the supercharged six is for the S4 and that the RS4 gets the V8.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
chicagobimmerboy
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Un esotico Italiano ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Thanks goodness, this will force BMW's hand to stick with naturally aspirated engine for the ///M cars.
Yeah I hope so. I cant stand to see them change.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobimmerboy View Post
Yeah I hope so. I cant stand to see them change.

Next gen M's will be forced induction....it is the end of ///M
      07-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Is this fact TB, M's are indeed moving to FI.

I understand your dilemma but it's the most logic step to make and in any case, based on how good the 335i is I reckon it's in safe hands.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
It may have been too late in development for Audi to change. These aren't huge volume cars for Audi, so the events of the past several months may cost more to change now. The consumer who buys these cars is less sensitive to fuel prices anyway, notwithstanding those who are stretching to buy the car in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Think about how long it took BMW to develop the current NA V8 in the M3. It showed up in the E46 M3. Then a V10 version in the M5/M6. I don't see the next generation Ms having a 6 cylinder FI engine as we haven't really seen any basis for such an engine in any form. My 2 cents...
      07-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Think about how long it took BMW to develop the current NA V8 in the M3. It showed up in the E46 M3. Then a V10 version in the M5/M6. I don't see the next generation Ms having a 6 cylinder FI engine as we haven't really seen any basis for such an engine in any form. My 2 cents...
It doesn't need to follow the same procedure this time. As you say the V8 started as a pure race engine. Maybe this time it's the other way and it all starts with the N54.

I know it's not opportune, but I personally would like to see an S65 derived V6 engine + DI + FI + a redline of about 8k. That would be an engine...damn, I'm dreaming...

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
It doesn't need to follow the same procedure this time. As you say the V8 started as a pure race engine. Maybe this time it's the other way and it all starts with the N54.

I know it's not opportune, but I personally would like to see an S65 derived V6 engine + DI + FI + a redline of about 8k. That would be an engine...damn, I'm dreaming...
I doubt that the N54 design can be used to deliver 500+ hp even with larger displacement. It's having cooling issues the way it is, which I've read might have something to do with the design of the block. Also, it's probably heavier than they would like.

If the V10 will not fit properly and FI is a must for more power, I think they might look into an FI version of the S65 with 8 cylinders.

Also, on another note, (not directed at South), FI will not result in a drastic decrease in consumption during hardcore driving. People think if you strap on a turbocharger and reduce the number of cylinders, you will all of a sudden have a much more efficient engine at all times. Doesn't work that way exactly if the engine is being used to extract lots of power. FI results in significant savings when the engine is not being pushed--when you're driving around town or cruising on the highway as you don't need the boost which makes the engine act like a larger displacement engine and gives it more power. When you get on it, the savings won't be that drastic. Take the 911 Turbo engine, or a chipped N54, and the current S65. Strap them to a testbed. Run both of them at 400 hp output and measure consumption. How much of a difference in consumption will there be?

Last edited by lucid; 07-31-2008 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #12
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Lucid,

You are correct FI only benefits economy when you are not on it as you put it. If they do go the FI route then small+large turbo combination could be the answer, the small unit giving little or no lag while the large one giving the top end grunt. Not so sure that 8500rpm would be on the cards, it might be possible in race mode but no use in normal road engines.

Personally I would go the supercharger route, MTM have shown wih their RS4SC that 8200rpm is very possible and still prove reliable, with BMW's money such an engine would be wee buns.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
I was thinking this too but Audi's decision will keep the pressure on BMW to retain hi-po naturally aspirated - just a hunch.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I wouldn't be displeased by this kind of design

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #15
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

People act like BMW does not have a forced induction history. BMW has had some potent turbo mills, both past and present.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #16
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Aren't BMW doing a modified version of the X6 4.4L Twin Turbo for the next M5?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 03:22 AM   #17
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
People act like BMW does not have a forced induction history. BMW has had some potent turbo mills, both past and present.
Agreed but the M-Division's heritage is in N/A power units, though compared to the like of Porsche and Audi, BMW are not the company which springs to mind when you say to word 'turbo'.

Their efforts with the 335i are without a doubt one of the best applications of the technology, equal to anything that Audi have done prior to the mighty RS6 v10 unit and the latest 997turbo. But to be perfectly honest a 3.0L bi-turbo producing 300hp is not exactly stretching the envelope when you think Audi have a 2.0L single turbo unit producing 270hp and both the EVO and Imperza comfortable produce well in excess of 300hp. To put it in perspective, to match the TT/S is produce per litre, the 335i should be pushing 405hp. See where I am coming from.

What BMW went for with the 335i engine was the easy route, large capacity, two turbos and modest output per litre. One would expect very little lag, one would expect a large capacity engine feel, but for BMW to take the FI route for the next M3/5/6 would require a lot more thought than has been done here. The capacity will have to reduce compared to the previous engines and the desired output would need to be closer to 140hp/L to maintain the desired weight including turbo/piping etc and yet still delivery the feel of a large capacity engine and still crave revs, this is when BMW's engineering skill will be tested, far more than anything they have done in the past.

Because this time it's their reputation on the line.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 03:40 AM   #18
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

its the end of the world as we know it.....

the next M3 will have 0,9 liters and 55 hp.
      08-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I know a hack of a lot of 335i guys like to pipe up about how quick their car is and to some extent it's comparable to the new M3.

Right

I found this from Youtube, twins - one with a stock 335i and the other in a stock S4. You be the judge if you think the 335i is all that mighty in the face of the evidence.

Personally my S5 would have walked an S4 and if you believe the BS that quattro drains power to the extent that TB believe then the 335i should have win easy, remember the 335i have been dynoed to produce a lot more than the quoted 306hp, it's more like 330hp.

So lets say 330hp (rwd and 12% drivetrain lose) vs 344hp (awd and 25% draintrain lose)

[u2b]FX6hTiLnGII&feature=related[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #20
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Great, we didn't have enough 335i bragging lately.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Agreed but the M-Division's heritage is in N/A power units, though compared to the like of Porsche and Audi, BMW are not the company which springs to mind when you say to word 'turbo'.

Their efforts with the 335i are without a doubt one of the best applications of the technology, equal to anything that Audi have done prior to the mighty RS6 v10 unit and the latest 997turbo. But to be perfectly honest a 3.0L bi-turbo producing 300hp is not exactly stretching the envelope when you think Audi have a 2.0L single turbo unit producing 270hp and both the EVO and Imperza comfortable produce well in excess of 300hp. To put it in perspective, to match the TT/S is produce per litre, the 335i should be pushing 405hp. See where I am coming from.

What BMW went for with the 335i engine was the easy route, large capacity, two turbos and modest output per litre. One would expect very little lag, one would expect a large capacity engine feel, but for BMW to take the FI route for the next M3/5/6 would require a lot more thought than has been done here. The capacity will have to reduce compared to the previous engines and the desired output would need to be closer to 140hp/L to maintain the desired weight including turbo/piping etc and yet still delivery the feel of a large capacity engine and still crave revs, this is when BMW's engineering skill will be tested, far more than anything they have done in the past.

Because this time it's their reputation on the line.
I don't see where you are coming from because the answer is obvious as to why the 335 is not putting out more power. It clearly is capable of it, as is the v8 twin turbo.

When talking about power per liter, BMW has demonstrated they are capable of being at the head of the game.

The comment that their reputation is on the line this time does not make any sense to me. The reputation of any quality company is on the line with every product and service they offer throughout their history, not just at certain times to certain individuals.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 02:29 AM   #22
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't see where you are coming from because the answer is obvious as to why the 335 is not putting out more power. It clearly is capable of it, as is the v8 twin turbo.
I know the engine is capable of more power, that was not my point. What BMW will need to do is combine more power per litre with the extra revs and still make it smooth and with little or no lag. This is where the skill will come in.

Quote:
When talking about power per liter, BMW has demonstrated they are capable of being at the head of the game.
I am not talking about N/A engines, we all know BMW's skill in this field. The above answer is what I want to see.

Quote:
The comment that their reputation is on the line this time does not make any sense to me. The reputation of any quality company is on the line with every product and service they offer throughout their history, not just at certain times to certain individuals.
You can produce a shitty car when it's a run of the mill mainstream motor and get away with it. To many the 1 series Hatchback was that car, the same for the Z8, but when it carries the badge of an M and more importantly the M3, then you need something very special. A forced induction version will have to be better than ever before and we all know that any lag affects the balance in a corner, something that the M3 has always prided itself in.

Like I say there is a lot at stake.
Appreciate 0