BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Cross-Shopping X5 with X7

03-25-2019, 02:40 AM   #1
Zimbo
Rep
Drives: M135i

Cross-Shopping X5 with X7

I am currently considering the new X5.

However, where I am currently from (Switzerland), while there is a big difference in base price between X5 and X7, the latter comes with many features standard that are otherwise options on the X5. So in the end, when you spec them upwards like-for-like, there is only approximately CHF10k (approx. USD10k) difference between the two. If you spec 3rd-row seats on the X5, the difference reduces to 7k.

I have no real need for the 3rd row in the X7 (or X5). However, with the relatively close pricing - would I be stupid to go for the X5 if it is not critical I have a smaller vehicle?

I assume the X7 is a step above the X5 in terms of luxury, fit and finish, which would more than compensate for the price difference? Extended leather, metal switchgear, NVH insulation, etc. Anybody got any insight into what these inherent differences are?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 06:24 AM   #2
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

X7 for 7k any day over the X5. Just the presence and extra luxury feel of the X7 is worth it.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      03-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
Metal man
Private
Rep
Drives: A few different ones

You should test drive them. Not comparing but an example is i have leased my mother a gle 350 only last two leases even with her mentioning gls 450. The gls just feels like an afterthought to the gle. Meaning im assuming the gls is just modifying the gle platform for size and its noticeable that the chassis wasn’t meant to be that big. Gets very upset over some imperfections in road surface. Some cars that works fine like when i had an xjl jaguar vs the basic xj there was no difference in ride quality/driving feel. But gle/gls and also range rover/ range rover L i can tell that to me they have compromised the “feel/smoothness” for the extra legroom/extra row

Last edited by Metal man; 03-25-2019 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

If you do not need 3d row - go for x5. x7 - only for comfy 3d row needs.

X7 is a big vehicle. especially in Europe. You will not fit in garages or city parking spots.

X7 has air suspension so it is more floaty/comfortable.

X5 can be ordered with M suspension and with DHP (m dif, roll stabilization, active steer 4 wheel) for bigger engine. It is a phenomenal car for handling. For its mass and size x5 is unbeatable. Drive one with the biggest engine you can afford - you'd be amazed.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #5
Zimbo
Rep

Forgot to mention in my initial post that this vehicle doesn't need to also try scratch the sports car itch - have other motors for that.

More considering the X5 or X7 as a comfortable cruiser for longer journeys, whilst still having sufficient handling to ensure I don't regret taking the mountain pass route on my way!

I'm interested to hear what the unspecified features of the X7 are, that make it a better (more luxurious) vehicle that the X5. Like I mentioned, I noticed it has metallic window switchgear, for example, compared to the black plastic switches on the X5. I assume just the all-around fit and finish is a step above the X5 - but where? Or is it just a stretched version of the X5?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
Ilyam5
Major
Rep

I think you called it. x7 is pretty much the stretched version of x5

The only features available on x7 in US that are not available in x5 are - adaptive road preview (Autobahn) package as part of Dynamic Handling Package. Obviously you can order captains chairs for second row in x7

Full leather interior is only on x7 now but only in one color. Later on it will be available on X5 and more colors will be offered.

Alcantara ceiling is only available on x7 as part of full leather. not sure if it will be available on x5.

All controls are the same - glass controls are available on x5 as well.

If you order x5 with air suspension and extended Merino leather - interior is identical.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
Forgot to mention in my initial post that this vehicle doesn't need to also try scratch the sports car itch - have other motors for that.

More considering the X5 or X7 as a comfortable cruiser for longer journeys, whilst still having sufficient handling to ensure I don't regret taking the mountain pass route on my way!

I'm interested to hear what the unspecified features of the X7 are, that make it a better (more luxurious) vehicle that the X5. Like I mentioned, I noticed it has metallic window switchgear, for example, compared to the black plastic switches on the X5. I assume just the all-around fit and finish is a step above the X5 - but where? Or is it just a stretched version of the X5?
One of the big ones is noted above -- air suspension. The ride in the X7 is incredible. I haven't driven a new generation X5, but the ride on the prior gen X5 I owned was incredibly harsh compared to my X7. Night and day.
      03-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

The luxury is identical between the X5 and X7. The X5 feels more athletic and overall faster in either trim (because it is). The X7 feels large and more top heavy but floats along like a deva. The front grill of the X7 looks fantastic. I adore the larger BMW grills as it looks more aggressive and fits the styling of the new platform. (Now the Q8 grill looks like a enormous black pig nose.)
It’s all what you want. Both ride identical. That means smooth or sporting depending on the drive mode selected. The X5 is noticeably more razor sharp in handeling. You can’t get away from the X7’s mass.
If you “need” three rows then the X7 is the one. The optional 3rd row in the X5 is useless. If you don’t need the 3rd row most all the time then the X7 is a lot of vehicle to live with. That’s the trade off for such a large people hauler SUV.
I have a family of 4 and took them on a long trip with large luggage and never felt I needed any more room or space in the X5 50i. I own larger vehicles and they are a burden in the city or traveling when parking. X5 is optimum size for my needs even with money not a factor. A loaded up X5 50i M-Sport is $100k so the additional $10k for a identical X7 shouldn’t be a factor at this price point of a luxury vehicle.
I demoed a fully loaded X7 50i with 2nd row captain. It was beautiful except one inexcusable sin. The black plastic 2nd row cup holders on the floor looked and felt ridiculously cheap. It was so out of character with everything else in the entire vehicle it made no senses. It took up a unusual amount of floor space for just two cup holders that it looked like it was hiding something in the floor.
If I was getting a X7, it would have to be with the 2nd row bench to eliminate it. I think it’s pretty accurate calling the X7 a stretched X5.

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-26-2019 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 05:38 AM   #9
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The luxury is identical between the X5 and X7. The X5 feels more athletic and overall faster in either trim (because it is). The X7 feels large and more top heavy but floats along like a deva. The front grill of the X7 looks fantastic. I adore the larger BMW grills as it looks more aggressive and fits the styling of the new platform. (Now the Q8 grill looks like a enormous black pig nose.)
It's all what you want. Both ride identical. That means smooth or sporting depending on the drive mode selected. The X5 is noticeably more razor sharp in handeling. You can't get away from the X7's mass.
If you "need" three rows then the X7 is the one. The optional 3rd row in the X5 is useless. If you don't need the 3rd row most all the time then the X7 is a lot of vehicle to live with. That's the trade off for such a large people hauler SUV.
I have a family of 4 and took them on a long trip with large luggage and never felt I needed any more room or space in the X5 50i. I own larger vehicles and they are a burden in the city or traveling when parking. X5 is optimum size for my needs even with money not a factor. A loaded up X5 50i M-Sport is $100k so the additional $10k for a identical X7 shouldn't be a factor at this price point of a luxury vehicle.
I demoed a fully loaded X7 50i with 2nd row captain. It was beautiful except one inexcusable sin. The black plastic 2nd row cup holders on the floor looked and felt ridiculously cheap. It was so out of character with everything else in the entire vehicle it made no senses. It took up a unusual amount of floor space for just two cup holders that it looked like it was hiding something in the floor.
If I was getting a X7, it would have to be with the 2nd row bench to eliminate it. I think it's pretty accurate calling the X7 a stretched X5.
Is an X5, just a stretched X3 then?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #10
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
It's all what you want. Both ride identical. That means smooth or sporting depending on the drive mode selected. The X5 is noticeably more razor sharp in handeling. You can't get away from the X7's mass.
If you "need" three rows then the X7 is the one. The optional 3rd row in the X5 is useless. If you don't need the 3rd row most all the time then the X7 is a lot of vehicle to live with. That's the trade off for such a large people hauler SUV.
I have a family of 4 and took them on a long trip with large luggage and never felt I needed any more room or space in the X5 50i. I own larger vehicles and they are a burden in the city or traveling when parking. X5 is optimum size for my needs even with money not a factor. A loaded up X5 50i M-Sport is $100k so the additional $10k for a identical X7 shouldn't be a factor at this price point of a luxury vehicle.
If I was getting a X7, it would have to be with the 2nd row bench to eliminate it. I think it's pretty accurate calling the X7 a stretched X5.
100 percent accurate..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #11
Ilyam5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
No.
X5 is a totally new platform for BMW and it has dramatically improved the handling and the stiffness. if you drive x3 and x5 back to back - it is drastically different, x5 being much better handling car despite the weight.
Also technology is leaps ahead. so x5 is not a stretched x3./

On the x7 m- the improvements over x5 are not noticeable - that is what we are trying to tell you. It is the same feeling driving both cars with air suspension, just bigger for x7. Trim and tech are the same as x5 as well.

In other words - if you are expecting similar difference that you have from 5 to 7 series in luxury, ride and packages - you will be slightly disappointed. it's just both x5 and x7 are that good. ( i do not think there is much room to improve there)
Appreciate 1
MystroX56244.50
      03-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Certainly the take away is the X5 and X7 are really that good and a huge advancement. It isn’t exaggerating stating the new X5 and X7 are “next level” by a significant margin.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

While I personally used to think the same thing, that the X7 is just an X5 with a full 3rd row, my thinking has changed, now having seen and driven the X7. Yes, the cockpit features and layout is identical. Yes, the leg, elbow, and head room specs are identical. But the luxury finish is just up another step in the X7. And the 2nd row legroom specifically in the X7, we've found can be slid BACK from the specs, to create even more legroom and additional space over the X5.

So, while similar, my opinion is no longer that the X5 and the X7 are really the same. And those differences I mentioned make all the difference for me (and my family), even though we have no need for a 3rd row, and I'm getting the X7!

Oh, and PIPE_DR that's an awesome pic find, with the X3, 5, and 7 all next to each other!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #14
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Wish the x3 was in Msport trim, great photo tho.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #15
Ilyam5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
While I personally used to think the same thing, that the X7 is just an X5 with a full 3rd row, my thinking has changed, now having seen and driven the X7. Yes, the cockpit features and layout is identical. Yes, the leg, elbow, and head room specs are identical. But the luxury finish is just up another step in the X7.
If luxury finish is just up another step in the X7 - all it means you sat in 2 different trims in x5 and x7.
luxury finish is identical in those cars equipped with the same options:

Merino extended leather is available on both. Leather dashboard is on both. I had 2 tartufo cars seating next to each other x5 adn x7 - both looked identical with the bench seat.

Full leather is going to be available on x5 as well as on X7 in more colors which again will make them look identical.

Space - is another issue. x7 is build on stretched x5 platform - so it has more space.
you can order captains chairs - another difference (but as we are learning in another thread not always a plus)

To me - the verdict is simple.Since i would be ordering with the bench seat in tartufo: You get more space in x7 at expense of handling. X5 is a smaller- more nimble, better handling car with less space.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #16
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 750i xDrive

Garage List
I've driven the G01 X3 (which I bought), G05 X5, and the X7. These cars all look, feel, and drive very different and are not just longer versions of each other. In my opinion, choose the model based on budget. If you don't have a budget, it would be a mistake not to test drive an X7. It has a presence, look, feel and drive that is better than the X5 in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #17
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
Quote:

One of the big ones is noted above -- air suspension. The ride in the X7 is incredible. I haven't driven a new generation X5, but the ride on the prior gen X5 I owned was incredibly harsh compared to my X7. Night and day.
air suspension is an option for the x5
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #18
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Got it. Well, given my experience with it, I'd highly recommend!
      03-27-2019, 09:28 PM   #19
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Got it. Well, given my experience with it, I'd highly recommend!
Yes! Air suspension is magic!

If I did not need the extra space, I'd go with the x5.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #20
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Over the years, my focused shifted from handling to luxury. I guess a reason is my daily commute. Granted, it's not particularly long but I'm facing a lot of stop&go traffic.

Budget-wise, a fully loaded V8 G05 would even cost a few grand more than the X7 I desire and I could purchase a V8 X7 for the same amount, too (of course, with far less options) but for me, it always boils down to the same question:

Do I need 450 or even 530 HP in a traffic-jam or stop&go? Wouldn't it be more relaxing to sit in a fully loaded, full leather X7.

99% of the time, it's just me riding in the vehicle. I'm currently driving a Q7. Maybe it's just me but once you got accustomed to a certain size, it's hard to downsize again.

Now, if I would be living in a crowded city where space is an issue, I would prefer the X5.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      03-28-2019, 02:12 AM   #21
Zimbo
Rep

Thanks all for the thoughts.

I think they begin to address the crux of my question: is the X7 to the X5, like the 7 series to the 5 series ie.a general step up in fit and finish?

I've noticed a few small things on the X7, for example the silver (metal?) switchgear on the X7 compared to black plastic on the X5, the suede pillows on the headrests of the 2nd row of the X7, extended leather on the lower half of the doors (although sounds like this will come to X5 too).

Do these sorts of things extend throughout the vehicle, perhaps initially unnoticeable or below the skin, making it just a little more luxurious than an X5? For example, does anybody know what the specs are in terms of double glazing on the windows, and how it compares to X5?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:12 AM   #22
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Thanks all for the thoughts.

I think they begin to address the crux of my question: is the X7 to the X5, like the 7 series to the 5 series ie.a general step up in fit and finish?

I've noticed a few small things on the X7, for example the silver (metal?) switchgear on the X7 compared to black plastic on the X5, the suede pillows on the headrests of the 2nd row of the X7, extended leather on the lower half of the doors (although sounds like this will come to X5 too).

Do these sorts of things extend throughout the vehicle, perhaps initially unnoticeable or below the skin, making it just a little more luxurious than an X5? For example, does anybody know what the specs are in terms of double glazing on the windows, and how it compares to X5?
I think to equate the jump from a 5 series to a 7 series with an X5 to an X7 is not accurate. There's a huge price difference between a base 5 series and base 7 series whereas for the X5 base vs X7 base, it's only about half what it is on the sedans. I've been looking at both the X5 and X7 and it seems they share the same technology, X7 marginally better interior finishes. To me the main difference is size.
Appreciate 0