BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Please Help With Front Bumper Aero BitsHel

03-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
Old Boy
Oberstabsgefreiter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xdrive

Please Help With Front Bumper Aero BitsHel

In about couple of weeks I should be having my new Alpine white 2019 550i delivered.
One mod I'd like to do off the bat is to get rid of cerium grey "eyebrows" on left and right bumper air scoops.

I think I can obtain replacement OEM "eyebrows" finished in gloss black. While exchanging those, I would also like to add the OEM CF trim pieces which attach to the scoop bottom, as per the BMW's installation instruction reproduced below.

Here are couple of issues I struggle with. The installation instruction for the CF trim pieces talks about removal of the "upper shock absorber" and installation of the new one, as required for the new pieces installation. I do not understand what shock absorber they are referring to.

Also, I am wondering if there are examples for the scoop CF trim pieces being installed without the splitter. I am not too keen on the splitter because of the high initial cost plus a high risk of curbing it, especially in our Toronto winters.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  176.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
interesting that BMW already tells you the bottom splitters won't fit flush, therefore the need for the touch up pen on light cars...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
Old Boy
Oberstabsgefreiter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlf750 View Post
interesting that BMW already tells you the bottom splitters won't fit flush, therefore the need for the touch up pen on light cars...
That is interesting indeed. Frankly, that whole M aero kit leaves me a bit cold.
The more I look at it, the lens I am likely to plonk money on it. In fact, my wife who is much better than I am for choosing colours and style, had a good suggestion: do not jury-rig the car with any more extraneous (and very expensive too ) bits and pieces. Simplify an already pretty nice appearance of the stock car. Have them paint the cerium grey scoop "eyebrows" as well as the vent louvre in Alpine white like the rest of the car. I think I like that idea a lot. No more distracting bits and pieces ! The wife happy too. Win win.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      03-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Smart move. I just added a front spoiler - albeit non-OEM - while I do love the look, and luckily I have a black car and bought a gloss black front spoiler, it doesn't really flow with the car as well as I would have thought. I still like it though, sporty
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
Old Boy
Oberstabsgefreiter
Canada
Rep

I am still looking at various spoilers. Having an Alpine white car, I know it's gotta be painted white. Anything black on a white car creates too much of a harsh contrast IMO. And it has to be mounted on a right location on the trunk lid, otherwise it doesn't "flow" nicely.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #6
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I do like the black contrasts with a white car but I see you're point. will look sharp all alpine
Appreciate 0