BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
nscript
Rep
Drives: F25 2015 , G20 M430i 2023

low compression 2nd cylinder - 2015 F25 - 49k Km

Hi all
i have a X3 F25 - 2015 Model , Diesel , 49,000 Km , 2L Engine

i recently find some shakes only on cold start and left the vehicle in service center , they took for a week and said that 2nd cylinder compression is low

so every cylinder goes up to 390psi and the second cylinder goes only to 300psi

i also have a high oil consumption

so i have 2 questions in my mind

1. since its a costly repair , i want to do it after 2 months , so can i drive some 3,000 km with this condition ?

2.can i trust a non BMW mechanic in this matter to do the job ?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

In addition to the one cylinder running low compression, has the service center provided any additional details about the cause? (Burnt valve, failing piston compression rings, etc.)

What has the service center advised-if anything- regarding continued operation of the car or need for immediate repairs?

Not really enough info to give you advice, it may be you can easily drive a lot longer and simply keep eye on oil consumption, just no way we can determine.

A reputable independent shop that knows BMWs /Euro luxury cars can certainly perform repairs.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
nscript
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
In addition to the one cylinder running low compression, has the service center provided any additional details about the cause? (Burnt valve, failing piston compression rings, etc.)

What has the service center advised-if anything- regarding continued operation of the car or need for immediate repairs?

Not really enough info to give you advice, it may be you can easily drive a lot longer and simply keep eye on oil consumption, just no way we can determine.

A reputable independent shop that knows BMWs /Euro luxury cars can certainly perform repairs.
thanks for the reply , they advised that further more diagnose can only be done after opening the engine

the service adviser said i can personally say that you can drive for a while , but as a BMW we will have to tell you to get it repaired immediately

do you think opening the engine is the only solution or some engine oil additives or some engine sealant liquids (found some people using in youtube) will work ?

thanks in advance for you time to reply
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nscript View Post
Quote:

thanks for the reply , they advised that further more diagnose can only be done after opening the engine

the service adviser said i can personally say that you can drive for a while , but as a BMW we will have to tell you to get it repaired immediately

do you think opening the engine is the only solution or some engine oil additives or some engine sealant liquids (found some people using in youtube) will work ?

thanks in advance for you time to reply
I'm not 100% certain about how precisely the problem can be diagnosed w/o disassembly. Excessive oil use is most typically due to oil entering the combustion chamber either via piston rings and/or valve guides/seals not sealing properly. Confirming either would require removing the head to examine valve train and get a look inside the cylinders (from above).

Fair amount of labor involved to perform the above. It seems there is physical problem/damage to valves and/or piston ring- that can only be remedied by part replacement.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
nscript
Rep

Quote:
I'm not 100% certain about how precisely the problem can be diagnosed w/o disassembly. Excessive oil use is most typically due to oil entering the combustion chamber either via piston rings and/or valve guides/seals not sealing properly. Confirming either would require removing the head to examine valve train and get a look inside the cylinders (from above).

Fair amount of labor involved to perform the above. It seems there is physical problem/damage to valves and/or piston ring- that can only be remedied by part replacement.
i am planning to get it done in 2 months , hope nothing happens before that, really appreciate your reply
Appreciate 0