BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

Quick access to CarPlay Apps?

When on Home page or other page of iDrive, is there a shortcut to get to apps, such as iMessage or Google Maps?

When I am driving and I want to send a text or get Google directions (I find they ARE better than the BMW nav system on local streets), it seems like I have to press way to many buttons to get access.

I'm not sure if I am getting the "hard to connect to CarPlay" problem, or I am just not operating it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

I haven't tested this but can you set a shortcut by going in to the CarPlay menu, hovering over the option you want to assign as a shortcut using the pad/rocker so it is "selected" and then holding down one of the preset buttons 1-8 for a few seconds until it assigns that as a shortcut? This method works for options embedded in the native BMW menus.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, I'll give that I try, although the 8 'presets' are already used.

I was hoping there was a verbal command, but I haven't been able to find one that 'she' recognizes.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update - I tried the shortcut and remembered that I had attempted to do this when I first received the X5 and it does not work. It displays an error "unable to save" on the main CarPlay menu and/or when an app is open.

I did try "Open CarPlay" on the verbal command and this did open to CarPlay, based upon which option the iDrive was open (home, map, etc). So that's an improvement.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #5
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermato View Post
Update - I tried the shortcut and remembered that I had attempted to do this when I first received the X5 and it does not work. It displays an error "unable to save" on the main CarPlay menu and/or when an app is open.

I did try "Open CarPlay" on the verbal command and this did open to CarPlay, based upon which option the iDrive was open (home, map, etc). So that's an improvement.
Thanks for testing for us.

I assigned Button 1 to launch CarPlay myself which like you say provides a bit of a shortcut.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #6
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Quote:

I assigned Button 1 to launch CarPlay myself which like you say provides a bit of a shortcut.
So then if you get a phone call, does iDrive automatically switch over to CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #7
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Quote:
Quote:

So then if you get a phone call, does iDrive automatically switch over to CarPlay?
No one has called me whilst I am in the car yet mine is that new! When I make a call if I press the call button or say "call xxx" it brings up the CarPlay screen.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:59 PM   #8
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
No one has called me whilst I am in the car yet mine is that new! When I make a call if I press the call button or say "call xxx" it brings up the CarPlay screen.
Thanks, confirming what I thought. On my original software version I could take a call through iDrive, but also enter CarPlay easily from the top menu. I wish they hadn't discontinued that functionality.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #9
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

On the steering wheel hold down the mic button (the one that calls up “Hello BMW”) Press it briefly will get you Idrive assistant but holding it down will bring up Siri. Try saying “Google Maps” and you should see CarPlay with google maps.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdbirdman View Post
On the steering wheel hold down the mic button (the one that calls up “Hello BMW”) Press it briefly will get you Idrive assistant but holding it down will bring up Siri. Try saying “Google Maps” and you should see CarPlay with google maps.
Thanks - I will try this. I have tried 100 different ways to bring up Google Maps via voice and I always get Apple Maps.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

Also, if you want to change the Apps on your CarPlay screen order. On your phone General—CarPlay—select your car—then follow directions on top
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #12
egar2099
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05

bump to this thread ... Has anyone figured out how to use the presets for Carplay? I receive the "unable to save" error when I try to save.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #13
mzdial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G20 330i & '19 G01 X3

Garage List
Nah.. you can't save them directly. I wish you could.
Appreciate 0