F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d XHP gearbox flash
ARMA SPEED

04-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

335d XHP gearbox flash

I heard some good reviews of the XHP gearbox flash so I got mine done a few weeks back. I got my tuner to set it up properly for the map (413bhp/730Nm) and ensure its complete (Durham Remaps).

I have done about 400 miles now including some of the best roads in the country over the Pennines and up in the borders.

Not tired Eco/pro, but I expect its the same as before.

D/Comfort is now so much more drivable than before. The shift points are a little higher and they are quicker. None of that mushy feeling (torque converter slip) and seemingly random annoying upshifts that used to sometimes catch me out just as I wanted some acceleration. Combined with being able to see what gear you are in, it now it makes D/comfort a lot better than before. I think I will be using it a lot more.

D/Sport is enhanced with quicker shifts. Not sure if the upper shift points have changed. But what I like best about it is that you now get 8th gear, which used to bug the hell out of me. I would end up putting into M mode just to get 8th. Then when coming to a stop having to remember to use manual or shift it back to Auto.

Sport + the shifts are now very fast and with stick to the left faster still. Very impressive and brings a smile to my face, especially when shifting from 4-5 and 5-6, the wave of torque is just unbelievable, it makes me laugh. Above 4K this car is a different beast altogether. Peak power is just over 4.8K on my map and Sport + S mode seems to keep the revs between 4-5K under full throttle. I can tell you this car is far from boring.

When pushing on before, I would normally override the auto with the paddles as I did not think the shift points were matched well. Now with XHP its a lot better

I also notice there are far more pronounced rev shift points in proportion to the amount of throttle in all modes. This makes the car more like what you would actually do when driving a manual box.

So in summary, I highly recommend getting this done. It transforms the car making the shift points more natural and the speed of shifts virtually instant.

Having been tempted by uprated shocks and intercooler, I think this will be my last mod now...........
Appreciate 2
Watsey6426.00
      04-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
A question if I may.

Is this different to the Alpina flash ?
      04-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Great review

I've already made the decision to go down the XHP route but am currently waiting for the iOS App to be released in H2 if this year. We don't have any Android devices in the family (or extended family).

I'm also trying to gauge the benefits and ins/outs of paying for a custom XHP map installed by a pro tuner (like you did), versus getting the XHP licence at £300 and maybe having to also buy custom maps.

The benefit, of course, of having the App licence is the ability to try and swap between the three included maps as often as I want.

Do you know whether your custom map was specifically matched to the characteristics of your car's dyno graph, or whether it's a 'standard custom' map ?
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Another question if you don't mind. Who are XHP and what's their pedigree?. Apologies but I have never heard of them before.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 435d f32 coupe

I had the xhp map done a few weeks ago, and can honestly say it's the best upgrade to the car ever - even better than the engine remap to 370 bhp and 720nm. The transmission is now faultless, and I bought the super licence, st1, 2 & 3 plus custom maps. But the standard maps are that good, there is no need to customise, which is easily done. Btw, I have the approved Thor obd wi-fi adapter up in the sale section if anyone is interested
Appreciate 2
Pequin230.00
Hooded1669.00
      04-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Great review

Do you know whether your custom map was specifically matched to the characteristics of your car's dyno graph, or whether it's a 'standard custom' map ?
Yes it was. When I got my custom map I asked for maximum BHP with a cap on torque at 730Nm (gearbox worries!). This lead to max BHP at 4800 which is quite high for a diesel. So they have matched the shift points to make best use of my profile. They also mentioned matching of pressures. Not sure what though.

They say it makes 50% quicker shifting in sport plus (crazy) and 25% in other modes, huge transformation....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #7
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I downloaded the android app but it keeps saying "not supported" 2017 340i 8speed??
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:35 PM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
They also mentioned matching of pressures. Not sure what though.
This article on the XHP website provides some insights :

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/blog/li...engine_torque/

Fundamentally the line (operating) pressures in the 8AT need to be increased according to the additional torque produced by a remapped engine so as to avoid excessive slip in the lock-up clutches.

Normally the TCU (and the revised settings in the XHP map) will rely on the ECU's torque calculations to adjust the line pressures, however, a tuner with the relevant XHP custom mapping licence will be able to set the line pressures/characteristics more precisely according to the dyno output for a particular engine.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Fundamentally the line (operating) pressures in the 8AT need to be increased according to the additional torque produced by a remapped engine so as to avoid excessive slip in the lock-up clutches.

Normally the TCU (and the revised settings in the XHP map) will rely on the ECU's torque calculations to adjust the line pressures, however, a tuner with the relevant XHP custom mapping licence will be able to set the line pressures/characteristics more precisely according to the dyno output for a particular engine.

Sounds like an important thing to do and should really be part of any re-map. Pleased I listened to my tuner now and got them to set it up to match my car.

I dont have the app to be able to make any changes myself, but I know myself and would not want to move it from the best possible setting anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:02 AM   #10
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Sounds like an important thing to do and should really be part of any re-map. Pleased I listened to my tuner now and got them to set it up to match my car.

I dont have the app to be able to make any changes myself, but I know myself and would not want to move it from the best possible setting anyway.
Interesting, this is possibly something I may do in the future along with a remap (once I've sorted out the bodywork). Do you have any dyno results after having the remap and xhp flash done?
      07-31-2020, 03:23 AM   #11
scoss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW - F31 - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenthelight! View Post
I had the xhp map done a few weeks ago, and can honestly say it's the best upgrade to the car ever - even better than the engine remap to 370 bhp and 720nm. The transmission is now faultless, and I bought the super licence, st1, 2 & 3 plus custom maps. But the standard maps are that good, there is no need to customise, which is easily done. Btw, I have the approved Thor obd wi-fi adapter up in the sale section if anyone is interested
What’s the car like in D/comfort. Quite a few have stated that it still shifts too high. Is this the case?

And is the paddle shift speed slower when in D-comfort compare to OEM D/comfort?

Last edited by scoss; 07-31-2020 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #12
scoss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW - F31 - 335D

Quote:
I heard some good reviews of the XHP gearbox flash so I got mine done a few weeks back. I got my tuner to set it up properly for the map (413bhp/730Nm) and ensure its complete (Durham Remaps).

I have done about 400 miles now including some of the best roads in the country over the Pennines and up in the borders.

Not tired Eco/pro, but I expect its the same as before.

D/Comfort is now so much more drivable than before. The shift points are a little higher and they are quicker. None of that mushy feeling (torque converter slip) and seemingly random annoying upshifts that used to sometimes catch me out just as I wanted some acceleration. Combined with being able to see what gear you are in, it now it makes D/comfort a lot better than before. I think I will be using it a lot more.

D/Sport is enhanced with quicker shifts. Not sure if the upper shift points have changed. But what I like best about it is that you now get 8th gear, which used to bug the hell out of me. I would end up putting into M mode just to get 8th. Then when coming to a stop having to remember to use manual or shift it back to Auto.

Sport + the shifts are now very fast and with stick to the left faster still. Very impressive and brings a smile to my face, especially when shifting from 4-5 and 5-6, the wave of torque is just unbelievable, it makes me laugh. Above 4K this car is a different beast altogether. Peak power is just over 4.8K on my map and Sport + S mode seems to keep the revs between 4-5K under full throttle. I can tell you this car is far from boring.

When pushing on before, I would normally override the auto with the paddles as I did not think the shift points were matched well. Now with XHP its a lot better

I also notice there are far more pronounced rev shift points in proportion to the amount of throttle in all modes. This makes the car more like what you would actually do when driving a manual box.

So in summary, I highly recommend getting this done. It transforms the car making the shift points more natural and the speed of shifts virtually instant.

Having been tempted by uprated shocks and intercooler, I think this will be my last mod now...........

At what speed does yours go into 8th when in DS /Sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #13
CuntFace5000
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335d

What else have you had done to your engine?

Also how much did it cost for someone else to flash your transmission?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #14
CuntFace5000
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They also mentioned matching of pressures. Not sure what though.

What can someone do with a custom mapping licence do that we can't do ourselves?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #15
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by demc1982 View Post
What can someone do with a custom mapping licence do that we can't do ourselves?
Short answer; I don't know.

I have no idea whether a custom mapping licence provides additional tools to help the tuner match the torque limits, shift points, and WOT limits to a dyno log, but if I was a tuner that's what I'd expect.

Presumably anyone with an XHP consumer-level licence could achieve the same thing, but whether they'd have all the knowledge and expertise to get it right first time is a different matter.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 12:32 PM   #16
CuntFace5000
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Quote:

Interesting, this is possibly something I may do in the future along with a remap (once I've sorted out the bodywork). Do you have any dyno results after having the remap and xhp flash done?
I too would like to see the dyno
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 11:08 AM   #17
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep

Didnt get it checked again after the XHP map as it would not have made difference. But in real life acceleration its better as faster changes
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 08:49 AM   #18
Mustard3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy619 View Post
I downloaded the android app but it keeps saying "not supported" 2017 340i 8speed??
I have it on my 2016 340i 8 speed using android and an MHD wifi dongle. Can't see why you would be getting that message.

Appreciate 0