4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Tire and Wheel Protection for G20

04-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
bimmer21k
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 G20

Tire and Wheel Protection for G20

Does BMW really get lot of flat tires? I live in the Seattle area and the weather is perhaps grey most times and it rains, but i have never experienced a flat tire in my life. Is it worth spending 1800/5 years on tire and wheel protection. How has your experience been with the coverage? I checked Costco and this seems to be the same as replacing all 4 tires atleast once and this seems like an overwhelming expense for a road hazard warranty. What is your opinion on it?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

I did that for my M4, was nervous about bending the rim, basically the finance guy suckered me! For me it was a waste of money!

Better to put the money in the bank!

Although the service tech did allow me to use it to replace one rear tire, but still not worth it.. IMO

I paid to replace the other rear tire, all together would have been $800 or so....

btw, I live in NW Ohio... near Michigan, craters everywhere!

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)

Last edited by BigSky702; 04-23-2019 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Depends on the roads. I don't know how the roads in Seattle are in the winter, but if they're bad ( and you should know) then it's worth it.

I live in NE and the roads are bad in the winter months, potholes and uneven surfaces ( shout-out to state government for budget misappropriation) so the tire insurance paid itself off for me. Use your judgment.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

I live in Seattle as well. Plan on saving my money. Also in response to your other post, I plan to not extend warranty coverage either. I'm willing to gamble a bit that the extra few thousand it would cost would be better spent finding a reputable seattle shop (for which I will look around) and get whatever repairs I need after the 3 yr factory warranty is up. For tires, will likely buy from costco (previous car had tires from there) who have a great warranty package built in.

Now if only the seattle dealerships had better prices :/
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:17 PM   #5
bimmer21k
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKrazyPolak View Post
Depends on the roads. I don't know how the roads in Seattle are in the winter, but if they're bad ( and you should know) then it's worth it.

I live in NE and the roads are bad in the winter months, potholes and uneven surfaces ( shout-out to state government for budget misappropriation) so the tire insurance paid itself off for me. Use your judgment.

The thing is I am new to this area myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:19 PM   #6
bimmer21k
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
I live in Seattle as well. Plan on saving my money. Also in response to your other post, I plan to not extend warranty coverage either. I'm willing to gamble a bit that the extra few thousand it would cost would be better spent finding a reputable seattle shop (for which I will look around) and get whatever repairs I need after the 3 yr factory warranty is up. For tires, will likely buy from costco (previous car had tires from there) who have a great warranty package built in.

Now if only the seattle dealerships had better prices :/

That's true, thanks! I am new to this area so I am not really sure if it is necessary, but it does rain a lot here -_-. My other friend who lives in California, did get the insurance but hasnt had a flat tire ever so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Sometimes the tire comes with hazard insurance included, so the insurance really only has bent rim benefit, and they will deny the claim if a tire can still be mounted on it and it isn't considered a safety issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:57 PM   #8
TWD1775
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mineral Gray G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer21k View Post
Does BMW really get lot of flat tires? I live in the Seattle area and the weather is perhaps grey most times and it rains, but i have never experienced a flat tire in my life. Is it worth spending 1800/5 years on tire and wheel protection. How has your experience been with the coverage? I checked Costco and this seems to be the same as replacing all 4 tires atleast once and this seems like an overwhelming expense for a road hazard warranty. What is your opinion on it?
Ditch the run flats and you'll decrease the likelihood of tire replacement. In my opinion, the stiffer walls of the RFTs cause them to pick up debris easier, plus they're not repairable. I didn't have flats for decades until I owned BMWs. One of the reasons I'll swap mine out as soon as I take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:24 AM   #9
nik14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E39 E46(2) E90 F30 G01 G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD1775 View Post
Quote:
Ditch the run flats and you'll decrease the likelihood of tire replacement. In my opinion, the stiffer walls of the RFTs cause them to pick up debris easier, plus they're not repairable. I didn't have flats for decades until I owned BMWs. One of the reasons I'll swap mine out as soon as I take delivery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD1775 View Post
Quote:

You also have the option of ordering with non-runflats.
Here's another question though - did you take a look at the space saver spare? With the spare there is hardly any trunk space. And to me it seemed like it would be pain to have to decide on each trip do I want added security on this trip (hence, bring along the spare) or do I want the trunk space ( hence take out the spare). Further, the times I would especially appreciate the added security (longer trips through remote areas), I would likely need the trunk space more (for luggage). And lastly, with the option, even if you take the tire out, there is still several inches that is permanently lost v. a vehicle without the option. The design seems to have been an afterthought rather than trying to seamlessly incorporate the option.

As for the original question, with F30 and E90 I myself got one flat each and the protection package would not have been worth it. This is in NJ with significant pot holes, etc. At the cost you were quoted, I would skip it for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:53 AM   #10
bimmer21k
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik14 View Post
Here's another question though - did you take a look at the space saver spare? With the spare there is hardly any trunk space. And to me it seemed like it would be pain to have to decide on each trip do I want added security on this trip (hence, bring along the spare) or do I want the trunk space ( hence take out the spare). Further, the times I would especially appreciate the added security (longer trips through remote areas), I would likely need the trunk space more (for luggage). And lastly, with the option, even if you take the tire out, there is still several inches that is permanently lost v. a vehicle without the option. The design seems to have been an afterthought rather than trying to seamlessly incorporate the option.

As for the original question, with F30 and E90 I myself got one flat each and the protection package would not have been worth it. This is in NJ with significant pot holes, etc. At the cost you were quoted, I would skip it for sure.

I don't have the space saver spare. Lucky, at the dealership I checked one of the cars that had it and stayed away from it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:55 AM   #11
bimmer21k
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Sometimes the tire comes with hazard insurance included, so the insurance really only has bent rim benefit, and they will deny the claim if a tire can still be mounted on it and it isn't considered a safety issue.
Yes, the Pirelli tires on the car have 1 year of road hazard insurance.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik14 View Post

I don't have the space saver spare. Lucky, at the dealership I checked one of the cars that had it and stayed away from it.
Space saver spares take up too much trunk space not really worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:07 AM   #13
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

BMW wouldn't offer a service or product if they didn't overall generate a profit from it.

Unless you historically have had issues with your driving habits or particularly have bad roads in your area, you can probably pass on this. At 1800, you could replace all 4 tires for less.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #14
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

It depends also on if you have low profile tires. Run flat lower profile tires are more prone to damage from pot holes which cause the sidewall to bulge indicating it is weakened and which may cause the tire to have a flat spot. Though some tires like the p-zero have some hazard insurance included for up to 1 year or a certain level of tread wear with no deductible.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #15
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Insurance is meant to protect you from catastrophic losses. If you’re going to go bankrupt replacing a $250 tire then buying a $60k car is probably not the best decision.

I lived in Seattle, also went on many weekend trips in the area and never got a flat. In the 14 years I have had a drivers license, I had 2 flats both on run flat tires on my E90. I have never bent a rim and most of those 14 years were in the NY NJ area on pothole covered tarmac. All of my cars have had the larger wheel options with low profile tires.

I do believe the run flats are more prone to flats, but the latest generation of run flats are way improved over what I had in my E90. My G30 has run flats and in daily driving I can’t really tell. If I push the car in the canyons then it’s obvious they are run flats because the transitions are not gradual. All of a sudden you feel the weight of the car shift towards the sidewall. On non-rft, that transition is more gradual and you can better anticipate it.

Anyway, more info than you asked for, but I think the run flats are okay for daily and you should skip the insurance. Even if they offered it to you for half price, at $900 you’d need to replace 2 wheels in order for it to pay off and that’s just not likely
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:15 AM   #16
bimmer21k
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Insurance is meant to protect you from catastrophic losses. If you’re going to go bankrupt replacing a $250 tire then buying a $60k car is probably not the best decision.

I lived in Seattle, also went on many weekend trips in the area and never got a flat. In the 14 years I have had a drivers license, I had 2 flats both on run flat tires on my E90. I have never bent a rim and most of those 14 years were in the NY NJ area on pothole covered tarmac. All of my cars have had the larger wheel options with low profile tires.

I do believe the run flats are more prone to flats, but the latest generation of run flats are way improved over what I had in my E90. My G30 has run flats and in daily driving I can’t really tell. If I push the car in the canyons then it’s obvious they are run flats because the transitions are not gradual. All of a sudden you feel the weight of the car shift towards the sidewall. On non-rft, that transition is more gradual and you can better anticipate it.

Anyway, more info than you asked for, but I think the run flats are okay for daily and you should skip the insurance. Even if they offered it to you for half price, at $900 you’d need to replace 2 wheels in order for it to pay off and that’s just not likely
Thanks for your perspective
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 11:14 PM   #17
OldOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Space saver spares take up too much trunk space not really worth it.
Spoken like someone who has never been stranded with a blown tire and no spare in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night. Waiting for roadside assistance to show up, getting the car towed, Uber'ing it to your destination, then losing the next day to deal with the aftermath really sucks.

Trunk space is not really worth it. When I need trunk space, I take my wife's Forester.

To answer the OP question: in the 3 years I owned my last BMW with non-RFTs, I had 4 flats on NY roads. 2 of those were non-repairable pothole damage. The wheels were OK. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by OldOne; 04-25-2019 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:31 AM   #18
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOne View Post
Spoken like someone who has never been stranded with a blown tire and no spare in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night. Waiting for roadside assistance to show up, getting the car towed, Uber'ing it to your destination, then losing the next day to deal with the aftermath really sucks.

Trunk space is not really worth it. When I need trunk space, I take my wife's Forester.

To answer the OP question: in the 3 years I owned my last BMW with non-RFTs, I had 4 flats on NY roads. 2 of those were non-repairable pothole damage. The wheels were OK. Your mileage may vary.
I've had my run flats lose air pressure so I just continued driving on them and took it to the dealer the next day to get the tires replaced under free hazard insurance. No spare needed and better than changing out a spare on the side of the road as you can just keep driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 02:21 AM   #19
bimmer21k
Rep

This is just my car's first month and I am already using the tire and wheel protection to replace one tire. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #20
HapkidoNinja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

In the Seattle area the roads are fairly decent - very different from the east coast where winter and plows tear up the roads. I kept low profile summers and went with non-RFT MPSS for my winter rig on my F30. Currently looking for takedowns for my M340.
Appreciate 0