F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Removing lower grille on LCI F30
Studio RSR

05-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Removing lower grille on LCI F30

Midsized Rock damaged my lower grille splitter region on front bumper.

Bought the large grille trim piece and removed bumper. Removed fog light assemblies. I'll be damned, the trim piece seems impossible to remove. Any tutorials or pointers? I'm going nuts.
Attached Images

05-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Bought the large grille trim piece and removed bumper. Removed fog light assemblies. I'll be damned, the trim piece seems impossible to remove. Any tutorials or pointers? I'm going nuts.
Not to be a jerk or anything but did you actually pinch all the clips along one side and see if it would push out from the bumper? Look at the new piece and every single clip on there will have to be past the locking point for you to pull the whole thing out but typically you need to start on one side and work your way around.

You may have to wedge something in the first couple to prevent them from snapping back in as you move along
      05-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Not to be a jerk or anything but did you actually pinch all the clips along one side and see if it would push out from the bumper? Look at the new piece and every single clip on there will have to be past the locking point for you to pull the whole thing out but typically you need to start on one side and work your way around.

You may have to wedge something in the first couple to prevent them from snapping back in as you move along
Trust me I'm familiar with the process. But this trim is a bitch!!! Can't do it. I'm taking it in tomorrow and let the dealer mess with it. I bet they will break some tabs. Which is why I never take it in the first place!
      05-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

So I took it to the dealer this morning. It took their most experienced technician 1h10m to remove the trim from the bumper. And he still managed to break one tab. No big deal it's all secured in place nicely.

Just a warning to anyone attempting this. It really is a bitch!!!
      05-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
expl0de
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 320d and e92 320i

I did this last week. Only one fog light frame needs to be removed. I used plastic trim tools to lift the plastic where the tabs are and it went fairly easy, without damage. Maybe yours was stuck.
Appreciate 0