E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Costco random orbiter

08-05-2008, 05:43 AM   #1
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Costco random orbiter

Has anyone used the random orbiter from costco? How does it compare to other ones? Tried looking on the website but they didnt show it, guess its only available at some costco's..

I found it on google, I think this is the one...

http://www.qwikfast.co.uk/catalogue/...=58cf886a0c6e2
not looking to spend big bucks, just something to get the job done.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
If you want to go inexpensive, do yourself a favor and buy a used Porter Cable instead. They come up for sale from time to time here on the "for sale" forum.

You want something that takes standard "hook and loop" (Velcro) pads, something that moves the pad relatively fast and far (some inexpensive polishers may vibrate fast, but don't have much movement), a robust enough tool not to break with normal use, and with a strong enough motor not to bog down under pressure. Cheap polishers have an especially hard time with that last one.

In short, yes, it may work to some degree, but I would go with something proven to work and be reliable. This is your paint we're talking about!
      08-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
If you want to go inexpensive, do yourself a favor and buy a used Porter Cable instead. They come up for sale from time to time here on the "for sale" forum.

You want something that takes standard "hook and loop" (Velcro) pads, something that moves the pad relatively fast and far (some inexpensive polishers may vibrate fast, but don't have much movement), a robust enough tool not to break with normal use, and with a strong enough motor not to bog down under pressure. Cheap polishers have an especially hard time with that last one.

In short, yes, it may work to some degree, but I would go with something proven to work and be reliable. This is your paint we're talking about!
Thanks for the input! What are some brands/ models I should be looking for?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
Thanks for the input! What are some brands/ models I should be looking for?
Take a look at this page:
http://www.detailedimage.com/auto-de...g-compound.php

And if you think I'm just being a shill for a single vendor, here's another, unrelated to any vendor:
http://www.autopia.org/forum/detaili...-polisher.html

These sites recommend the Porter Cable 7424 (or 7336). That's a good choice. Try to find one used, since they are pretty ubiquitous around the detailing forums.