F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Best Tape for Spoiler
ARMA SPEED

05-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Best Tape for Spoiler

My spoiler is lifting on one side, what’s the best tape of the moment to stick it back down, 3m vhb still?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
tonksie93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

I tried several times to stick my spoiler down with tape but never worked. Used gorilla glue instead and haven’t had any troubles since.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Yes definitely 3M VHB

The application method is just as important as the tape used though.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
oxfordrob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
My spoiler is lifting on one side, what’s the best tape of the moment to stick it back down, 3m vhb still?
Yep VHB definitely still does the trick.

Purchased 3M VHB 5952 £7.24 from Amazon for 3metres a couple of weeks ago.

My rear spoiler hasn't shifted since, so reckon it's still a good tape choice!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 435d f32 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Yes definitely 3M VHB

Can you advise on this please. I have a spoiler yet to fit. Thanks in advance mate
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenthelight! View Post
Quote:
Yes definitely 3M VHB

Can you advise on this please. I have a spoiler yet to fit. Thanks in advance mate
Clean both surfaces thoroughly with alcohol, use 3M primer 94 on both surfaces and make sure everything is at at least 25°C before sticking.

If you really want it to never come off then scuff up both surfaces with 3000 grit wet and dry paper first.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
oxfordrob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes definitely 3M VHB

Clean both surfaces thoroughly with alcohol, use 3M primer 94 on both surfaces and make sure everything is at at least 25°C before sticking.

If you really want it to never come off then scuff up both surfaces with 3000 grit wet and dry paper first.
Interesting......I used the 3M VHB in 13 degree crappy British weather (went down to 5 degrees a few hours later at night). I cleaned car with alcohol spray before applying.

Stuck solid, no issues, have used car washes and pressure washers since, not had an issue!

3M say minimum application temp is 15degrees (so I was gambling at 13 being ok really), so don't see why it would need to be up above 25 degrees?......that said although cold air temp, the sun was out (rare here ha ha) so guess car paint could of been a bit warmer.

Obviously warmer is better, not trying to be argumentative, just giving a different perspective ;-)

Regardless, it is stuck solid, happy days!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordrob View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes definitely 3M VHB

Interesting......I used the 3M VHB in 13 degree crappy British weather (went down to 5 degrees a few hours later at night). I cleaned car with alcohol spray before applying.

Stuck solid, no issues, have used car washes and pressure washers since, not had an issue!

3M say minimum application temp is 15degrees (so I was gambling at 13 being ok really), so don't see why it would need to be up above 25 degrees?......that said although cold air temp, the sun was out (rare here ha ha) so guess car paint could of been a bit warmer.

Obviously warmer is better, not trying to be argumentative, just giving a different perspective ;-)

I'm not saying it won't stick well if you do it other ways, just that it will stick well if you do it that way.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #9
oxfordrob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordrob View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes definitely 3M VHB

I'm not saying it won't stick well if you do it other ways, just that it will stick well if you do it that way.
Very true, to be honest it was my first time using the VHB and I was very impressed with how quickly it took hold.......nearly made me look like a prize idiot though, as I got my spoiler slightly out of alignment initially and had to pry it off desperately before it stuck solid! Dispite regarous pre-fitting with low tack masking tape to mark its position I hasten to add.....no amount of prep work could make up for me being a Muppet ha ha.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #10
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Well I started to look at it by lifting one end and the whole spoiler started coming up really easily so net result is it's now off the car!

Not a great job from the body shop that fitted it!

The tape came off easily so can't have prepared it well and what the hell is this black stuff they also appear to have used and how do it get it off, it just breaks in tiny bits!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well I started to look at it by lifting one end and the whole spoiler started coming up really easily so net result is it's now off the car!

Not a great job from the body shop that fitted it!

The tape came off easily so can't have prepared it well and what the hell is this black stuff they also appear to have used and how do it get it off, it just breaks in tiny bits!
Appears they also used some sort of resin adhesive! Looks like a real bodge job. It could be difficult to remove it without damaging the paintwork, definitely don’t use acetone!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #12
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Took it back to them and showed them and they were massively apologetic, turns out the reason it lifted was they didn’t ensure the bottom side was free of paint (overspray) from when they sprayed it and therefore didn’t bond properly.

Net result is car in same day, all being cleaned up and redone and returned to me tomorrow foc.
Appreciate 1
teaston10998.00
      05-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Took it back to them and showed them and they were massively apologetic, turns out the reason it lifted was they didn’t ensure the bottom side was free of paint (overspray) from when they sprayed it and therefore didn’t bond properly.

Net result is car in same day, all being cleaned up and redone and returned to me tomorrow foc.
Awesome, hopefully they don’t use that glue shit this time!
Appreciate 1
SkyJawa3718.50
      05-16-2020, 01:52 PM   #14
Bimba_440i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Vert

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
I used the Scotch/3M Extreme hold. Used 2 rolls of 1”x60”, cut where needed. Did 145. Spoiler ain’t moving. Also depends on how you install it. You should warm the tape after sticking to spoiler. Make sure paint surface is clean, use iso and microfiber cloth, heat adhesive again before final install.

$5/roll. So about $1/foot.

https://www.target.com/p/3m-extreme-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Pro tip: peel corners off strips before you heat. The adhesive gets stuck to the red plastic. Makes it ALOT easier to remove.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 04:52 AM   #15
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

I found my bmw splitter was covered in overspray on the back face, had to use tape to pull it off a bit like a lint roller

Pretty crap really for a oem product

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0