F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 17 340i Blind Spot Detection Problem
ARMA SPEED

05-13-2019, 03:04 AM   #1
sshao
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, F30 340i, F30 330i.

17 340i Blind Spot Detection Problem

Hope you guys are doing well. I noticed my DS blind spot detection sometimes illuminates while nobody is next to me, especially when I am on the freeway over 65 mph. It happens randomly for example it goes on when I am at the most left lane with nothing on my left, or there is someone approaching several lanes on my left, or when it has a slight left turn and someone is following me. I have brought my car to the dealership a month ago and they said they cannot find any error or malfunction, but the problem was not solved yet. I also noticed that the parking distance control said there was something very close to my left side one day when I was parking while nothing was there, but this only happened once. However if someone did in my blind spot, the indicator will illuminate normally. My car is fully loaded with all the safety features available to a 17 model. Any possible solution or advice is appreciated.

BTW, this only happens to the driver side, passenger side works perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshao View Post
Hope you guys are doing well. I noticed my DS blind spot detection sometimes illuminates while nobody is next to me, especially when I am on the freeway over 65 mph. It happens randomly for example it goes on when I am at the most left lane with nothing on my left, or there is someone approaching several lanes on my left, or when it has a slight left turn and someone is following me. I have brought my car to the dealership a month ago and they said they cannot find any error or malfunction, but the problem was not solved yet. I also noticed that the parking distance control said there was something very close to my left side one day when I was parking while nothing was there, but this only happened once. However if someone did in my blind spot, the indicator will illuminate normally. My car is fully loaded with all the safety features available to a 17 model. Any possible solution or advice is appreciated.

Exact thing happens to me. Had it checked three times with no result so I've just turned it off.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Make sure there is no debris on the sensors

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

I also get an occasional false alert on the drivers side but so far I’ve not noticed it not alerting when it should, unless something changes I’m ok with it’s function so far.
      05-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #5
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:

Sounds like an issue with your drivers side radar sensor, alignment or?

Parking sensor malfunction is not related.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:

Are you 100% sure your OEM rear bumper has not been repaired or repainted at any time as that will exhibit the symptoms you are experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
sshao
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilki0101 View Post
Exact thing happens to me. Had it checked three times with no result so I've just turned it off.
You could ask dealership to buy it back as you have checked 3 times
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
sshao
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Are you 100% sure your OEM rear bumper has not been repaired or repainted at any time as that will exhibit the symptoms you are experiencing.
I am 99% it is the original bumper as I don't think the dealership would take the risk to lie. As several people share the same issue above, I guess it maybe something else.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #9
sshao
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
I also get an occasional false alert on the drivers side but so far I’ve not noticed it not alerting when it should, unless something changes I’m ok with it’s function so far.
LOL looks like this is a common issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
LOL looks like this is a common issue.
It’s not.

Very uncommon.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #11
sshao
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
It’s not.

Very uncommon.
It's weird then, probably there is something in my blind spot that I cannot see? Like some UFO who is trying to spy me
Appreciate 0