F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Exhaust flap unplug 435i - negative side?
proTUNING Freaks

05-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Exhaust flap unplug 435i - negative side?

Hello all,

I have the MPE and it sounds very nice after a decent drive.

Is that because it's warmed up? Or because the flap is open?

Is there any negative side if i unplug the exhaust flap?

If i want to unplug it, should it be while the car is off?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeyad.habeeb View Post
Hello all,

Thanks in advance.
I have MPE as well with the downpipe, I have tried the unplug while the car was off and flap was in open position at which point I didn't have the downpipe. I think what I noticed was lots of drone since when you're in comfort/eco mode, you're driving it on lower rpms. In Sport mode it opens up and there is no drone or shall I say, less drone and that's because it's running at higher rpms (1 less gear than usual at varying speeds).

I didn't have the app to scan codes when I did that but I believe if you unplug it, it may throw some sort of code that you can scan with any free app and OBD dongle. It's not going to be a problem.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If the flap is rendered inoperative it will take the coolant and oil longer to reach operating temperature, with a loss of performance until they do reach operating temperature.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

If you drive in sport or sport+, the flap opens all the time anyways. If you drive in comfort, it will open based on amount of throttle, gear, RPM (basically when you need performance, and then closes so you don't get the noise).

I like the flap for quiet cruises in comfort, and then I use sport to open it for the sound.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Keeping it open all the time there may be more drone at lower rpm. It opens at higher rpm in comfort. It stays closed initially to allow exhaust gas to reach temperature sooner so the cat can start working sooner.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dheeth-F30 View Post
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance.
I have MPE as well with the downpipe, I have tried the unplug while the car was off and flap was in open position at which point I didn't have the downpipe. I think what I noticed was lots of drone since when you're in comfort/eco mode, you're driving it on lower rpms. In Sport mode it opens up and there is no drone or shall I say, less drone and that's because it's running at higher rpms (1 less gear than usual at varying speeds).

I didn't have the app to scan codes when I did that but I believe if you unplug it, it may throw some sort of code that you can scan with any free app and OBD dongle. It's not going to be a problem.
Thanks.
I actually didn't see the flap open, I think only when accelerating fast, correct? But not in park mode.

All what I'm looking for is a louder sound and I'm not sure why my Exhaust does it only after a decent drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.
I actually didn't see the flap open, I think only when accelerating fast, correct? But not in park mode.

All what I'm looking for is a louder sound and I'm not sure why my Exhaust does it only after a decent drive.
It should open above 4K rpm after things have warmed up. I was able to do it in park with burbles. If in sport it is open all the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

It should open above 4K rpm after things have warmed up. I was able to do it in park with burbles. If in sport it is open all the time.
Are you saying it's open all the time after warming up even in park mode without pressing the pedal?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #9
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C

Quote:
Thanks.

If you're sport mode and turn the car off, it should stay open until the next startup, at least that's how I had it open and taped the wire/plug for the valve when i parked and flap was open still.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

Are you saying it's open all the time after warming up even in park mode without pressing the pedal?
Yes. But if you switch back to comfort and then into sport again you have to blip the throttle to open it again. You will here a more aggressive idle exhaust note when it opens. You may hear the valve itself open and the exhaust get louder at idle.
Appreciate 2
Wires1645.50
      05-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #11
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

Yes. But if you switch back to comfort and then into sport again you have to blip the throttle to open it again. You will here a more aggressive idle exhaust note when it opens. You may hear the valve itself open and the exhaust get louder at idle.
Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #12
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Thanks.

As the muffler gets hotter, the tone will change and get louder.
Appreciate 0