F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Baby Rear Car Seat Location - F36
proTUNING Freaks

05-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
sexpot
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F36

Baby Rear Car Seat Location - F36

Hey There!

Baby expected later this year so I'm in the process of researching car seats, stroller etc.

I'm eyeing the Britax B-Safe 35 infant car seat and was wondering how I would secure it to the middle seat in the back?

I see there's isofix points on the outer seats. Do I use the two inner most isofix points and attach the baby seat to the middle? Or does the middle section only use the seat belt for securing the seat?

If the middle seat is not preferred, I assume the next best place would be behind the driver seat and use the actual isofix points?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by sexpot; 05-16-2019 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Not sure about the F36, but my F30 has four LATCH points that are more or less evenly spaced to be able to fit on either side or the center. So if they were numbered 1 through 4, you'd use LATCH 2 and 3 to secure a seat in the middle. It's evident that BMW is allowing this because there is a top middle LATCH on the rear deck for mounting a car seat in the middle position.

The middle position is slightly safer since you're better protected from side impacts. It's also more useful, I've found, if you frequently have two people in the back seat. If you typically have one person in the back seat, it's more convenient to put the child seat on one side. Don't forget to turn on the child safety locks on both doors regardless of what position you put the seat in.

Congratulations!
Appreciate 1
sexpot7.00
      05-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #3
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Time for mini van😂.... joking

If you do choose the side seat. Passenger is the ideal choice so your not on the side of incoming cars when your putting your baby on the car
Appreciate 1
sexpot7.00
      05-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexpot View Post
Hey There!

Baby expected later this year so I'm in the process of researching car seats, stroller etc.

I'm eyeing the Britax B-Safe 35 infant car seat and was wondering how I would secure it to the middle seat in the back?

I see there's isofix points on the outer seats. Do I use the two inner most isofix points and attach the baby seat to the middle? Or does the middle section only use the seat belt for securing the seat?

If the middle seat is not preferred, I assume the next best place would be behind the driver seat and use the actual isofix points?

Thanks in advance!
Latch is not for the middle seat, and upper tether is not directly related to latch usage. Use the belt for the middle, and use whichever is more secure on the sides. Note total weight limit for child and seat for Latch usage. Test fit all the seats you like before purchasing...

Check out the uppababy mesa, we liked that. Infant seat should be comfy but not hot.
Appreciate 1
sexpot7.00
      05-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series GT Stage 0.5

BMW branded baby seat ftw

podman
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr Podman; 05-16-2019 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #6
chat.abey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i GT

Garage List
I have it set to the passenger side on my F30. I was gonna go in the middle using the latches but I believe the manual says to use the latches only if the car seat is on one of the sides (don’t quote me on this). You can use the seatbelt and secure the base in the center. I found out it was easier to set it on the passenger side because of the way the drivers seat is positioned so that is where I put it.

We have yet to actually take her in the F30 since we use the SUV whenever we take her somewhere but the Maxi Cosi Mico Max 30 we have fits in the F30.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #7
sexpot
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the informative posts. I will double check the car manual once I get a chance. Regarding seat positioning, I appreciate the advice for the passenger side due to oncoming traffic if we park on the side streets - good tip.

I'll have to make sure the blind spot is not block too much by the seat having it on the passenger side.

Upsidedownfunnel - I was also thinking about the latch positions 2 & 3 for center seat securing. Do you know if that will affect the side passenger seat belts?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Don’t use latch 2 and 3. Center seat use the seat belt. If you measure the distances, 1-2 and 3-4 will be identical. 2-3 is usually not.
Use the seatbelt for the center seat then tether to the rear deck.

If the seat fits poorly in the center, it’s better to use one of the side seats.

Check your local fire stations. Some offer car seat help/instruction/installation.
I was a car seat tech almost twenty years ago and I hated doing installs. I preferred teaching parents how to install.
Appreciate 1
sexpot7.00
      05-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #9
luckysnafu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i | 1990 332i (S52)

I can confirm what others are saying, the latches cannot be used in the center seat location, belt only there. I had my infant car seat checked at a fire station seat inspection a couple weeks ago and was informed seat belt only for the center seat, which is where I have mine placed.

FYI for car seats and latches - NHTSA advises parents not to use the lower anchors of LATCH if the combined weight of the child and the car seat is 65 pounds or more.
Appreciate 1
sexpot7.00
      05-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #10
eja
Registered
Rep
Drives: F34 330i

My experience with convertible seats (in F31 and F34) has been that there are none that will fit in the center position without covering up the seat belt buckles for the side passengers. Only the narrowest one I could find would fit in one of the outer positions and still allow for the middle seat to be usable.

The other issue I found with the middle position is that the buckle/latch comes up higher than it does in the outer positions, so it can be impossible to tighten the belt on some of the seats depending on how low the routing path of the belt is through the base.

Maybe an infant seat with a narrow & tall base would fit, though. There is a store in my area that let me test fit all of the seats they carried which was very helpful.

The other issues are how heavy the baby+carrier are, which may limit how tolerable you find lifting and carrying the seat into the middle position to be, vs. how far back you will be able to have the driver and passenger seats with the car seat in the outer positions.
Appreciate 1
sexpot7.00
      05-17-2019, 06:02 PM   #11
sexpot
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Wow, thank you everyone for the additional input. I will definitely pay a visit to our local Fire Station once we have the seat!

My takeaway, center seat = seat belt only!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #12
Gr-Racing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, F30 335i, 1986 K75

Center seat is what we are using and we have the britax 35 it holds steady but on long rides we also add the seat belt...

Ps the britax is the best but you have to buy all the add ons that were it gets even more $$
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #13
WiredAce
England
Rep
Drives: F36 Gran Coupe MSport+

Quote:
Hey There!

Thanks in advance!
I have the f36 and use a Joie car seat on the passenger side so I can see my little troublemaker! I'll attach a picture. Used an isofix but it has a anchor strap too that flips over to the rear of the seat and there's fixing points on either side. I personally wouldn't use the middle seat (if you can call it that)

Congratulations btw!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sexpot7.00
      05-29-2019, 02:31 AM   #14
sexpot
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

What would you suggest in terms of the actual bmw seat for protection against indents, tears to the leather?

I'm thinking to get a pad of some sorts for the leather, just curious what's good out there that doesn't leave marks, scuffs etc onto my red seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 06:40 AM   #15
NYOreo23
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi

Crazy coincidence to see this post.
I too have a baby on the way. (First baby)
Own an F30 335 and was wondering what were my options and ways to do all this baby stuff haha

Great comments to OP, thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:30 AM   #16
paidnfull
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYOreo23 View Post
Own an F30 335 and was wondering what were my options and ways to do all this baby stuff haha

In the exact same position (except I'm in a 328). First kid on the way as well. Congrats to you!

Lots of good info in this thread
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #17
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Performance

Quote:
What would you suggest in terms of the actual bmw seat for protection against indents, tears to the leather?

I'm thinking to get a pad of some sorts for the leather, just curious what's good out there that doesn't leave marks, scuffs etc onto my red seats.
I got this one and quality is what you can expect from Bmw http://mwerke.bewus.com/index.php?ro...product_id=732
Appreciate 1
sexpot7.00
      05-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #18
sexpot
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchi View Post
I got this one and quality is what you can expect from Bmw http://mwerke.bewus.com/index.php?ro...product_id=732
That's perfect! Thanks for the suggestion
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #19
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

https://www.amazon.com/OXFORD-Luxury...7602&s=gateway

Not for use on light colored seats. Happy with these for the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #20
Alarbus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 & '19 F36

Quote:

First important step is to avoid tweaking your back screwing around with the (empty) car seat before the baby arrives. Or maybe you don't avoid it, I can't remember, a year and a half ago was a bit of a blur.

The F30 is just fine with a car seat, though my suggestion on picking a car seat is make sure you can both easily work the release. We bought a Peg Perego because it works well for my wife when she's taking him to/from daycare.

We've used my 335 for a bunch of road trips, and I think the only change I want to make is either tinting, or the snap in darkening screens.

And congrats guys!
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2019, 12:27 AM   #21
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

We have 3 kids from 16 to 7. We used a variety of car seats. Many of the companies are listed above, including Britax, Graco. Our favorite when the kids were little, when one used the car seat that plugs into the base (thus when sleeping you take the seat and leave the base), was to have a base in each car. So that either one of us could make the kid run. All the advice above is good. Seat belt in the middle, latches on side. There are 3 latch points on the top of the f30 so can use a third hard point if using the middle for a front facing seat. When the kids were little we liked the middle for both rear facing and front facing in our old bmw. In our van we used the driver side captains chair in row two (no middle seat in that van in row 2. I agree to check the fire station if you have a safety question. The key is enjoy the kids because before long they will be driving your car. My teen loves driving my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:11 AM   #22
NYOreo23
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarbus View Post
Quote:

First important step is to avoid tweaking your back screwing around with the (empty) car seat before the baby arrives. Or maybe you don't avoid it, I can't remember, a year and a half ago was a bit of a blur.

The F30 is just fine with a car seat, though my suggestion on picking a car seat is make sure you can both easily work the release. We bought a Peg Perego because it works well for my wife when she's taking him to/from daycare.

We've used my 335 for a bunch of road trips, and I think the only change I want to make is either tinting, or the snap in darkening screens.

And congrats guys!
Hmmm I do have tinted windows. I think I'll do those darkening screens as well.
Due date Jan 5th.... so I got a little time but I was definitely on the side of those like travel systems (I think that's what they are called). The ones you can just snap right into a stroller attachment. The Doona looks awesome but seems like it had no storage.

Excuse my newb-ness, still new to all the baby stuff haha
Appreciate 0